V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What type/make windshield are you using and how do you like it? I just got the Boss Hoss detachable version and it is Large. I am thinking about going to a smaller version (Windvest ?) and would like your opinion of the different versions out there.

One thing I don’t like about the Boss Hoss windshield is that you need to remove the headlight and replace the bolts holding the handlebars on if you want to install or remove the windshield brackets.

How does the Windvest attach to the Bike?

Thanks in advance
Mark

Daniel: "Wait a minute. You're actually saying that you need someone dumber than you are?"
O'Neill: "You may have come to the right place."
Carter: "I could go. Sir."
O'Neill: "I don't know, Carter, you may not be dumb enough."

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Mark,
I'm using the Windvest shield. It works suprisingly well for such a small shield. It mounts on the handlebar risers, with clamps that go around the risers. No need to remove anything.
I have a big BH windshield also, but the mounts attach to the fork tubes. What make shield do you have that requires removing the headlight, and the bolts holding the handlebars on?
Here's a pic of the mounts for the Windvest shield.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got this from Mountain Boss Hoss, the Windshield was made by H-D and I think the Mounts were made by either Boss Hoss or Mountain.

This is just laying on the Trike not screwed in

These are the Bolts that replace the one holding on the handlebars

Rear view of winshield, peice on bottom mounts between Headlight and Forks

·
Registered
750 Posts
I love my 14" Windvest, and can't imagine riding without it now :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mark, I have always used the large HD windshield. I like it for several reasons, it keeps the wind off you, so your helmet isn't constantly blowing around, there is less wind noise so I can hear and use my communication system better, because of the aforementioned it creates less fatigue. I routyinely ride long distances and the lareger winshield is best for me. It also does all of the above for your passenger. I cut a few inches off the windshield one time and my wife noticed the difference immediately. She has about 50,000 miles on the back behind me. If you don't plan on riding long distances these reasons will not apply to you. The profile of the bike looks better without a windshield at all, I think that's why most dealers photo them without a shield.

Tom

·
Registered
624 Posts
Deuce,
I have been using one of the larger winshields on my 98. Like Tom I do a lot of long distance riding with the Hoss and prefer the larger winshield. I have ridden a Hoss with the winvest and was very pleasantly suprised at how much wind protection it gives you. I will still stick with the larger one as I have done long days in the rain while traveling and prefer that little extra. In most cases most will be just fine with the Winvest and they do look good.
Glenn

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
Windshield

Deuce;

I put the larger Windvest on mine (if a beer is good a case is better), and actually would like to try the smaller Windvest.

Here in central Fl., along the St. Johns Estuary (northern Everglades) there are sometimes as many bugs as air it seems. With the large Windvest, I have to "turtle" my head way up to blow fog mist or rain drops off my faceshield. I rarely have to clean ANY bugs off my full coverage helment now. Without any shield on my Boss I have had to stop half way to work a few times to clean bugs off my faceshield to safely continue (38 mile commute).

I also am not used to anything sharing steering inputs with me (Sport Touring scoots before with frame mounted fairings / windshields) and it's a bit disconcerting to get the "handlebar tug shimmy" when running thru a covey of 18 wheelers and wonder if the smallest Windvest might be better for me.

If you look @ the Corbin website, and read how they model the "aero" flow over that "seashell" shaped shield on the Honda Rune, the Windvest works very similar, and quite well.

I was putting 950 - 1200 miles a month on the Boss here till a recent medical adventure put me in the pax seat of my wifes van.

HAWK88
Jack Phillips

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have the small windvest type, but made by National Cycle and I love it. It takes the pressure off my chest, but does give me a little breeze. I don't like big windshields, because its not like riding a cycle, it's like driving your car. Small windshields make BH's look even more fierce.

Check it out:

http://www.nationalcycle.com/catalogue/ ... reens.html

I can't seem to make this into a hyperlink. Sorry.

Alan

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Have refused to ride anything with a windshield for 53 years (except for a bullet bike).....put one on Marvs' Windvest style windshields on 2 years a go at the rally...............wold not ride the Boss without it..ever.

Really keeps the bugs off ya and takes a lot of the wind out while giving you some breeze.

Tim

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Mark

I have the larger detachable windshield. For distance riding I would not go any smaller. As it is with a big side wind and an open face helmet it seems like compressed air is being shot up my nose at speeds less than 80 mph unless I move over in the saddle. I thought about a fairing but am opting for a full face helmet. I do very little city driving.

Bill

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I'm old enough to know better but I'm still too young to care. ;) No windshield for me. :twisted:

GRUMPY said:
Have refused to ride anything with a windshield for 53 years (except for a bullet bike).....put one on Marvs' Windvest style windshields on 2 years a go at the rally...............wold not ride the Boss without it..ever.

Really keeps the bugs off ya and takes a lot of the wind out while giving you some breeze.

Tim

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I can't say enough good things about this fairing and the windshield. I mentioned somewhere a while ago that I hit a small bird at 100 MPH in Montana somewhere. It sure paid for itself that day.

BTW, the 2 guys in the picture are the ones who painted my bike. Their website is www.paintdruid.com if you want to have a look at some of their stuff.

I hope this picture comes up OK. I guess I'll find out soon enough!!

·
Registered
838 Posts
Brian - your painting is breath-taking. I love your flames. You've got a damn good looking bike- really.

A little jelous,
Loaf

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Olaf and Jack, Thanks for the compliments. The bike gets a ton of attention, way more than I imagined it would when I ordered it. The paint scheme was the idea of the 2 painters (Adam & Ken), and I was a bit apprehensive when they first told me what they wanted to do. But as we were putting it all back together I thought this looks pretty good. I'm quite happy with how it turned out.

I'm just going to get started cleaning it up for a local bike and car show coming up called "World of Wheels" on Feb 18-20. I might as well because there isn't much else to do in the winter. It doesn't much matter if I win a prize or not, I just like people to see it. Maybe it will help Barry sell a few more Bosses as well. :beer3:

Bryan

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
I rode for forty years with no windshield at all. Three years ago went to the large detachable windshield for the Boss for one of my long trips. It worked too well and made me feel isolated from the riding experience. Also I hated the distortion that looking through the shield produced. Last year went to the small Windvest. Just enough to keep the blast off your chest and allows enough air to hit you that you still feel like you are riding a motorcycle and you look over it and not through it. I love it functionally and it looks mean...Joe

·
Registered
481 Posts
Detachable Windshield

I too have the detachable windshield. Have had the bike now for maybe 2-3 months ZZ4 and found it terrible looking through the large windshield, especially for curved roads, being 6' tall. It was paralox error. :shock: I completely covered both front & back of the windshield with duct tape, then with string tied to a black magic marker drew a new arc from the bottom center of the windshield and cut 3" off the top, with a bandsaw. Dressed up the edges with 400 sandpaper and removed all adhesive with Harley Glaze.

What a world of difference! I am now looking over the windshield and my perception of curves and stopped traffic is comfortable.

I do get more wind, about 10% additional, but I wear a leather baseball hat and yesterday at 100 MPH in Columbus, the hat stayed on!

Life is good!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts