V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Re: whistling noise from the belt only on acceleration 30-40

william jordan said:
Bill from Colorado here, wondering if any one has this same problem?
Bill,
I've got exactly the same problem. Seems to get louder when the belt is
warm. Noise is away after a pretty hard acceleration, but comes back
after a while. Not very loud, but nerve-racking. I tried everything from
300 to 450Lb. belt tension, adjusting to the left, adjusting to the
right - nothing helped. The teeth look ok to me. I think it's hardened
over the time, and needs a replacement.

Loaf

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Dealing with the exact same problem. The rear is aligned as best as I can and I get the whine right off acceleration too and then constant at about 60. Loaf summed it up as nerve racking. I'm going to double check and make sure my front and rear pulleys are lined up. Belt is tracking to the left of both pulleys ( I know it doesn't matter) and I know you can't really tell but it sounds like the whine is coming from the front pulley. The bike tracks straight with maybe a slight pull to the right. I even called Jim at Nesco and he doesn't think it is the tranny whining although he said it was a possiblity the output shaft bearings are going bad. He's seen it from too much belt tension. But he said it would probably make the noise all the time if it were those. I'll keep fooling with the belt.

Good luck to ya. It's tough sometimes. :wink:

Chris

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Chris...If it's happening right off, I doubt it's the belt. I'm sure you've checked to make sure the belt isn't lightly touching the lower guard because I had the same symptoms and that was the culprit. Raise the bikes rear wheel up and turn the rear tire and listen carefully. A very slight contact will sing like crazy on the road....Joe

·
Registered
538 Posts
Answer to whine-

I had this too and since I was in Daytona 2 weeks ago anyway I stopped by Boss Hoss Daytona (plus the starter solenoid went out).

Casey there had the answer- put belt dressing in it. Stopped mine immediately and it was loud befroe. I run one of Marv's pulleys, they noted they see lots of this on those pulleys.

Chris, mine runs on the left too, the whine (if it is the belt) is not due to it being not centered. If it is the output bearing, that's another matter.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Re: Answer to whine-

SBarrV8 said:
Casey there had the answer- put belt dressing in it. Stopped mine immediately and it was loud befroe.
Steve,
Belt dressing? Is that a spray? I used a industrial "belt lube spray", which
stopped the noise immediatly, too. But it didn't last very long. I had
a quiet ride for only two days. What is belt dressing?

The noise of my belt isn't a constant whine, it sounds like this:
starting....quiet.....20mph....ching, ching, ching, ching, ching...-->
accelerating - CHING, CHING...--> 50 mph.....gone...

Noise isn't present at every ride. Usually only under heavy load, and a
while after. At long uphill roads for example. I heard it first when Andy
and I have been in the Austria alps last year.

Loaf

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
I know I'm a brokem record here, but mine was doing all of the above and I took the calipers out yesterday and trued up the back wheel. The chirping noise is less but the 50 mph sing is still there. Alignment.

I think belt dressing is only used on old belts generally to get another day out of them until you can change it. An old mechanic told me that. I won't put that stuff on mine until I see different.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I may try some graphite powder to see if it goes away and then I'll know it's the belt. I've got the lower belt guard as high as it will go and it sure is mighty close to the belt. It was already singing before I put the lower guard back on the other day after reading the posts about it.

Chris

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
rub a bar of soap along the side of the belt. If your noise goes away then you at least know what it is.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Belt dressing is just another kind of grease and grit will stick to it causing premature wear of the belt and the pulleys. Wouldn't recommend it at all...Joe

·
Registered
89 Posts
drive belt

tom said to used SOAP well with all the rain i been in i use soap but it is short lived i been carring a candel with me for the ALT and DRIVE belts the wax last longer . that chripping get to me big time. gizmo

1 - 12 of 12 Posts