V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ZZ4 makes a whining noise,which seems to be coming from the water pump, when I first start it. It quits after a little while, with the lengths of time it does it not seeming to coincide with the opening of the thermostat or anything else. Sometimes it does it for 5-10 seconds and then quits and sometimes it lasts for 30-45 seconds bofore going away.
It's full of coolant and I'm pretty sure it's coming from the water pump..and I'm positive it's not the alternator belt ..Anybody got any idea what may be causing it ?

Allen Dean
Austin,Tx

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Allen,

If it's the water pump, it should do it when you turn the key on....it's electric and needs no engine to power it.

A lot of new ('03) and up bikes have a transmission whine from an oil passage that is angled too tight....but it doesn't hurt anything. And sometimes quiets down after the bike gets into gear and warms up a bit.

Tim

·
Registered
481 Posts
Sounds like to me that noise could also be the fan belt on the alternator. Check for wear and tension. Perhaps if your bike is old enough ( you made no mention to the year) changing the belt on the alternator is in order anyhow.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
GRUMPY said:
Allen,

If it's the water pump, it should do it when you turn the key on....it's electric and needs no engine to power it.

A lot of new ('03) and up bikes have a transmission whine from an oil passage that is angled too tight....but it doesn't hurt anything. And sometimes quiets down after the bike gets into gear and warms up a bit.

Tim
My 03 has that whine. It's high pitched and always there after the bike warms a bit though.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Allen,
You might want to buy yourself a mechanics stethoscope. Then remove the pointed end so you have just the open ended tube. It works pretty good for telling where noises are coming from.
Just don't put it by the end of the exhaust pipes!! :shock: Ha Ha!

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Sometimes using a mechanics stethoscope can help. Place it against your water pump and then on the alternator and you shoud be able to verify whether it's the belt or pump...Joe

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It doesn't do it until I start the engine..with the key on all I can hear is the fuel pump..it starts making the noise right after I start it, and while I haven't tried a real stethescope, I did use an old piece of broom handle to listen,(which works pretty well too),that's why I say I'm pretty sure it's coming from the water pump. One thing I'm sure of is, it's not from the alternator belt. Doesn't do it every time I start it either..only some of the time.
I hate strange, unexplained noises like that, even if they're harmless.

Allen Dean
Austin,Tx

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Could be a water pump bearing . I had one go bad in my new high volume pump . Replaced the motor { warranty } and all is well . Took the bad motor apart and found it had piece of sh-- Chinese bearings in it . No wonder they went bad . The new motor must have the same bearings in it . If they go bad, I'll be replaceing them with Timken.

Jack

·
Registered
105 Posts
If there is any doubt if the noise is coming from the alt. or alt belt take the belt off and crank the engine that will isolate the alt. and alt belt completely.

Bill

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
a1goodboy said:
I did use an old piece of broom handle to listen,(which works pretty well too),that's why I say I'm pretty sure it's coming from the water pump.
Allen,
After you start it, and hear the noise, just pull the fuse for the Water Pump and see if the noise stops. I know that in stock form, the water pump and the fuel pump might be the same fuse, but the bike will run long enough for you to hear if the noise stops. Easy test!
Don't forget to put the fuse back in !! :wink:

·
Registered
105 Posts
You can unplug the orange wire if I remember correctly to disconnect the power from the water pump, it should be just a male/female spade connector. It may or may not have heat shrink on the connector which you would just cut off.

Bill

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Speaking of Timken bearings looks like the ones I got yesterday were manufactured in Poland. I was a bit shocked and this is what I found out from their website:

Timken®IsoClass™ brand of 30000 series metric bearings features more than 170 part numbers, readily available worldwide.

In recent years, our investment in plants and people to support our metric lines has allowed us to expand our part number list to meet this important market's needs. Currently, our metric manufacturing facilities are located in Italy, Poland, Brazil, Canada, China, France, Great Britain, India, Romania and the United States

Chris

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, guys...I appreciate the input..I'm gonna try disabling the water pump while it's running and making the noise to be sure that's what it is, then I'll proceed from there I guess.
Thanks for the help.

Allen Dean
Austin,Tx

1 - 16 of 16 Posts