V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Jack,
The cure for throttle cables is a 434. Just roll it on easy and after a while the tire starts to smoke and back off just a bit........easy... 8)

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
HogV8 said:
I'm really surprised that you guys that do a lot of burnouts don't snap a lot of throttle cables especially considering the snapping open of the throttle . I've only broken 1 cable and pulled the ball off from another . It's a helpless feeling when it happens though not a big deal to replace . :cus:

Jack

Actually I seldom "snap it" all the way into the stop...on this motor I just pop about 1/4 throttle and leave it hang about 5500......but I haverun the wide tire for 5 years and it will hook up every so often......

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
crazymf said:
Jack,
The cure for throttle cables is a 434. Just roll it on easy and after a while the tire starts to smoke and back off just a bit........easy... 8)
I think your right Stu . I have noticed that since i cut down on my number of burnouts I haven't broken a cable lately .

Jack

·
Tom
3,255 Posts
It's a helpless feeling when it happens though not a big deal to replace . :cus:

Jack;

Our last helpless feeling was on Dunlauton ave. on beachside about to go over

the bridge into pt. orange and had to borrow a long screwdriver to throttle

the trike out of traffic..I now carry one and a spare cable.

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
HogV8 said:
I'm really surprised that you guys that do a lot of burnouts don't snap a lot of throttle cables especially considering the snapping open of the throttle . I've only broken 1 cable and pulled the ball off from another . It's a helpless feeling when it happens though not a big deal to replace . :cus:

Jack
I broke the plastic keeper inside the throttle grip only six days of owning the bike... but it was around 38 degrees out that day, so I'm not overly surprised. But I think I'll pick up a few of the parts mentioned, and pack them well in the underseat storage compartment. I've been stranded so many times on the road in the last forty years of 'soldiering'. Hence a bottle of Jack in the saddle bag.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Throttle cable...Jack, dont you have a quick throw throttle mod done? I think it probably puts less strain on the cable as you're jerking it less to get into the secondaries quickly. I also use the wide Crampbuster Throttle rest and it gives me more leverage for faster acceleration. I just tilt it up and lean on it if I want to ride at a sustained high speed, or adjust it lower if I want to toodle around. Makes those 500 mile days a lot easier on the wrist as well. I didnt like yanking on the throttle as it adds to the instability of the bike as you tend to move your body forward and use your body to yank on the throttle which causes instability. I like the fact that the quick mod requires no need to use your body or move your body forward to get your hand around the throttle and less action on the wrist for a better and smoother rollon/burnout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao6A6-s_ssw

Cheers
Aldo

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Aldo , yes I have the quick throttle and I have a throttle rocker I use for longer rides . I've only broken 2 cables since 2000 but both have been when I was beginning to do a burnout . The first cable broke I think just from age and it broke right near the grip at the bend in the cable housing and was frayed . The second cable which was one of those Walmart bicycle brake cables broke because the grip end ball pulled off . I personally think it's asking a lot for a little 1/16" motorcycle carb throttle cable to pull open a big 4 barrel carb . I'm working on a heavy duty cable set up for my bike but it won't be completed until this winter . It should put an end to broken cables on my bike .

Jack

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
HogV8 said:
Aldo , yes I have the quick throttle and I have a throttle rocker I use for longer rides . I've only broken 2 cables since 2000 but both have been when I was beginning to do a burnout . The first cable broke I think just from age and it broke right near the grip at the bend in the cable housing and was frayed . The second cable which was one of those Walmart bicycle brake cables broke because the grip end ball pulled off . I personally think it's asking a lot for a little 1/16" motorcycle carb throttle cable to pull open a big 4 barrel carb . I'm working on a heavy duty cable set up for my bike but it won't be completed until this winter . It should put an end to broken cables on my bike .

Jack
Jack,
When you get the cables made up... send us the specs, so we can do the same. K?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Last drive belt that I heard broke was Tony Gillys, way before 100,000 miles

I busted mine at 30K. Don't know why. I took off from a stop sign, in a residential zone, just gave it a tiny bit of "extra" throttle and "BAM". Slung it about 50 feet behind me. Stock 350/385
my 2000 sb drive belt recently popped at just under 37k. i believe it was the original, 21 years old, and it was as hard as a brick. lincoln

21 - 29 of 29 Posts