V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very long story, it may put you to sleep. You have been warned. ;)
Just like days of old I had my bike all apart just before a pretty big ride but this time I wasn't able to pull it off. :?

When I decided to make the PA ride and BBQ I thought it would be a great time to get the Boss in shape for all the riding I planned on doing this year. I wanted to put a new rear tire on the back and clean up some other little problems while I was at it.

The tire is about the only thing that went well. :roll: I went from a 225/70 15 to a 235/70 15. My old car tire still had a bunch of tread on it but I wanted a fresh tire for the riding season and they are only 70 bucks so what the heck, I figured I would be good for another two years or so. :D

While I had the wheel off I decided to polish the rim out and check the wheel bearings and deal with a problem I had a long time ago. At one time my rear brakes got real hot and pretty much cooked the rotor. I had a slight pulse in the peddle that I thought was caused by a warped rotor, I figure this would be a good time to put a new one on. This is where my real problems started so I'll come back to this.

At this same time I decided to buy a new GPS that I had my eye on and sell my SP3. I sold the SP3 and only lost about 500 bucks on it :roll: and picked up my new iWay 500. 8) I had that for about 12 hours before it took a dump on Saturday. :evil: So now I need to get it fixed or replaced before my trip on Friday and I can't even call anyone till Monday. I called Lowrance and told them that I had sold my other GPS and planned on using the iWay for my trip and now I'm hosed without a GPS. The guy was very cool and sent me one next day air and I got it on Tuesday. I wanted to run it for a few hours to make sure that was going to be all right before I took off. All is well with that and I love the unit and I'm glad I got it. I really like the MP3 player and it works well with my headphones on the bike. :D

So the GPS is good to go and on to the next problem.
My fuse block on the Boss had been giving me problems for awhile now and a few weeks ago I ordered a new fuse block to replace the stock one. Let me back up here just a bit. When I was in Daytona I went to a Marine store and bought a really nice fuse block and brought it home to install. This thing was killer, water tight and the works. Well I had one problem :roll: , when I put the two speed tranny in my bike I had to cut the frame and move things around and there was just no room for this thing. After pulling all the wires off and cutting the new $40.00 fuse block up to try and make it fit I wound up throwing the whole thing in the trash and put the old fuse block back on. :roll:
Well I got on the Internet and found another one that looked like it would work great. It was call a "Painless" fuse block and from the picture it looked like the same size as my old one but better quality. I got it last week but it is way bigger than the stock one and at 95 bucks I wasn't going to try and hack this one up to try and make it fit.
So at this point time is running out and the only one I know that fits is the stock piece of junk fuse block so I ordered it online through the Boss Hoss factory site. Turns out that I placed the order just fine but for whatever reason it never got shipped to the dealer that was suppose to ship it to me. I didn't find that out till three days later. That's another long story but the bottom line is it took 10 days to get from west TN to east TN. :?
I went to put it on the day before my trip, and it is a worst than my other one. :evil: On one of the terminals I could move the wire just a bit and it would cut of power to my water pump and fuel pump, that's not good. :? After messing with it for hours I wound up putting the old stock fuse block back on and then I had a bunch of new wiring problems. To shorten this up a bit I'll just tell you that I had to trace every wire on that bike and rewire it to the old fuse block. :evil:

So now I'm pretty sure that my electrical is going to get me to PA and back and I was waiting on one more part to finish up my bike. It's a stupid thing and I could do without it but it was going to be a lot easier to do with the rear wheel off.
Years ago I bought a Signwaves LED license plate frame. Turns out it was one of the very first ones built. Well about six months ago I started having trouble with it and decided now would be a good time to send it in to get it repaired. They charge 20 buck to fix it so almost two weeks ago I sent it in for repair. I boxed it up and sent it 2 day Priority Mail with the 20 bucks cash in it. About a week goes by and I thought I better call to see when it was heading back this way so I could put my wheel back on. I call Everett and he looks all through the shop and the office and can't find it. :roll: So now I'm really bummed that not only did the mail loose my plate but it had 20 bucks cash in it too! I called all that week and finally on Monday it shows up (9 days late) and Everett said he will get right on it. This guy is really cool and told me if it didn't show up that he was going to send me one they had laying around the shop at no charge. Well it did show up and because it was an real old model he decided to send me one of their prototypes to see how I liked it and to give him some feedback. Hey that's great. 8) He sent it out Priority Mail on Monday and it still hadn't showed up yet on Thursday. :? This is coming from OK to TN! So the mail came and went and I call Everett and he couldn't believe it, just my luck.
So now the one thing that was keeping me from putting on my rear wheel is not going to happen before this trip but that's really no big deal, just would have been nice to install it with the tire off.

So I have the Boss on my new alumn. Sam's club jack and I go to lower the bike down on to the tire and wheel and I turned the handle just a little too much and the whole bike comes crashing down and over on it's side. :shock:
So this is about 2 pm and I'm looking at my 1200 lb Boss on it's side with the rear wheel wedged between the swingarm and the fender. Gas is pouring out on the floor and I have a sick feeling in my stomach. :? I get one of my boys to help me get if back on the lift and try it again this time without dropping the bike. :oops:
It had been so long since I changed a tire that I forgot the best way to do it was too drop the shocks and move the swingarm to the wheel. I remembered after I dropped the bike. :?

It's 5 pm now and the wheel is on and I'm ready to go for a test drive. First thing I notice is the rear brake peddle is moving up and down about 2" as I hit the brakes. It would lock up and then free wheel and then lock up again and free wheel. This is not good and I'm running out of time.
When I ordered a new "used" rotor from Mt. Boss Hoss I noticed it was a little different than my old one. The one big difference was my old rotor had counter sunk bolts and this one didn't. There was a little more slop in the holes and the hub too. I got it centered as best I could but that wasn't good enough and because the rotor was out of round it made the peddle pulse. It had always done that a little but now it was real bad.
My buddy Dragbars shows up and he has the great idea to take up the slop by drilling out the holes to the next size bolt. I went from a 3/8 bolt to a 7/16 bolt. That seemed like it should work and I could drill it out without taking the wheel off. Sounds like a plan to me seeing it was now about 10 pm and I was running out of ideas.
So I drill the hub, bolt it up and take it for a ride. Bummer, same thing and maybe even a little worst. There is no way I can ride 1000+ miles like that. :?
So then we decide to pull the wheel off and see if maybe the hub or rotor got bent when the bike fell on it. Turns out there was about an 1/8 deflection in the rotor/hub. So then we decide to try some shim stock to see if we could get it true again. That didn't work worth a hoot so it was on to plan B. I drilled the old rotor and bolted it up and went to mount it but because my old rotor was just a tad thicker the new bolts were hitting hard on the caliper bracket. :roll:

That was it, I was done. It's not unusual for me to do a major tear down before a big ride, in fact I don't think I have ever taken a big ride where my bike was not in pieces the night before. :roll: This is the first time I was not able to pull a rabbit out of my hat and get my bike on the road. I guess I have loss my touch. :?

Sorry for such a long story but it helps me to chill out when I put it in words. To say the least I am bummed and I hope I can get it all fixed before I leave for Myrtle Beach on Tuesday. :?

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Boy Lamont , I'm sure sorry that you have all of those problems . I wish there was something I could say or do to make them all go away . I know this won't help your bent hub situation but I have a rear rotor off my 2000 that you can have if you need it . It's not in great shape but it would work . I could ship it to you next day air . Call me if you want it 315 - 625-4036 .

Good Luck ,
Jack

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HogV8 said:
Boy Lamont , I'm sure sorry that you have all of those problems . I wish there was something I could say or do to make them all go away . I know this won't help your bent hub situation but I have a rear rotor off my 2000 that you can have if you need it . It's not in great shape but it would work . I could ship it to you next day air . Call me if you want it 315 - 625-4036 .

Good Luck ,
Jack
Thanks Jack, looks like Steve has one with the hub so I'm running out there now to pick it up. Thanks again for the offer. 8)

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Man Lamont, if all that had happened to me, I'd be bouncing tools off the garage wall and have my wife thinking I'd lost it! It seems that for me, there is no easy job. That's the reason I will pay someone to deal with it if I can. I have the tools and some ability but no patience.

Sorry about your troubles. I'm sure you'll get it back together. It don't sound like things could get much worse.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Geez Lamont.....You must be kin to me! That's the kind of luck I normally have (but it SURE does make you appreciate things once they get going) :D Maybe it is an East Tennessee thing........Maybe your luck will change. What I try to always remember and I am sure you do also, is the fact that we are still alive, and have been truly blessed. If we have our health and family, anything we run into can be easily overcame. Hang in there Bro...
(I am trying to talk the wife into another bike trip to the Florida Keys. She would not go with me in March, she says that is just too far on a bike. But after I have repeatedly told her of the fun my cousin and I had down there...maybe there's hope on the horizon for another loooong bike trip. I sure am looking forward to going South again...) :p

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Well on the bright side you didnt bang up the tank when it went over, and there is always another beer in the fridge. I find that sitting quietly and counting to ten helps. :D :D .

Bill

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Lamont...Boy do I know how you feel! I had days with this year's rebuild about which I was too depressed to even post. Like gouging my new paint job with my Pit Bull lift or fighting to put my tire hubs on for 90 minutes because I was trying to do so backwards. Then there was polishing my beautiful new triple tree member with a rag that had grit on it.
It just seems like when **** starts happening it gets on a roll and nothing goes right.
Believe it or not any surgeon will tell you there are days in the operating room like that!......Joe

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: bent rotor / hub

HAWK88 said:
Lamont;

Did the bike falling actually bend the rotor, or hub, or both?

PS: The GPS is working wonderfully!

Ride Safe!
HAWK88
Jack Phillips
I don't think it was bent, I think that it may have just been the rotor. Enen the new setup I got from Steve has a slight pulse to it. I think the old welded hubs were welded a little off. :roll:

Glad you like the GPS, it has worked out great for me. 8)

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Lamont...The Pitbull lift is a pain in the ass to use and is heavy as hell and very expensive...$600 but it is impossible for the bike to fall because of the upright adapters regardless of the position of the front wheel or how fast you drop it. The frame is totally cradled and cannot fall over....Joe
PS. Consider it for peace of mind.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts