V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:( :( :( :(
How about another tale from the dark side?
I set up the trip months ago. My friend and I would trailer his and my Boss to Myrtle Beach for MB Bike Week.
Now it's the beginning of April, and my friend goes to the Hospital for severe abdominal pains. Turns out to be diverticulitus, and he has a huge infection. So he's kept there for 2 weeks while they give him massive antibiotics. That doesn't do the trick, so they decide they will have to operate. He comes through the ordeal very well. Only thing is, he can't make the trip to Myrtle.
He tells me I can use his trailer, but I don't have a vehicle to pull it with.
So, my brother in-law says he's going, and could pull the trailer with his truck. But he's only going to be there for a few days at the beginning, and has to be back on Weds. That doesn't work.
Then my UPS driver, who has a Harley, says he wants to go but didn't want to ride there from New York alone. So we decide to ride there together. We’ll leave on Sat, the 14th.
4 days before we are to leave, he tells me his fingers have been going numb, and his Doctor says not to go for that long of a ride. He's out.
Meanwhile, my bike is ready to go. My bags are packed and strapped to the seat/sissy bar.
Weds (the 11th) I decide to take a test ride to make sure everything is secure, and the recently installed Air Shocks are working as they should.
All seems to be fine, except I notice there is noise coming from the alternator. Sounds like a bearing.
OK...........not wanting to take a chance, I scramble around and find a speed shop near me that has the alternator I need. I get it and install it, with a new fan belt. Great. All systems go, except the weather forecast, which is "iffy" at best.
Friday (the 13th…..what was I thinking?) arrives, Sunny and reasonably warm………I decide to get on the road.
Starting out from Long Island, NY, I’m in the wind, and the bike is running great. The new Air Shocks are absorbing the bumps with ease and life is good.
I’m about 55 miles out, and on the Belt Parkway (three lanes of suicide road) just passing Kennedy Airport, when suddenly, the motor falters as if running out of gas. The Tank is almost full. The motor stops, and I coast over to the side of the road, and find a small spot on the practically non-existent shoulder to get off the road. The ground has an angle to it with the low side on the left side of the bike. I can’t put it on the side stand cause it will fall over. So I sit there, checking this and that. Switches are on, gas in the tank, battery voltage is OK. After about 3 minutes, I try to start it, and it fires up. Hmmmm………seems OK. I put it in gear, and off I go, for about 300 feet. Dies again. Coast back over to the shoulder. Same ground angle. I wait, but it won’t start again. I decide to try and push it to level ground about 10 feet ahead. My foot slips out in the sandy dirt, and the bike goes over on it’s left side. I turn the bars to the left, grab the left grip with my right hand, back to the bike, and grab the seat with my left hand, and try to pick it back up. With the angle of the ground, it’s like trying to lift a car. I feel a muscle in my back get strained. So I start waving my hands to passing cars in the hope that someone will stop. After a few minutes of cars zipping by at about 80MPH, a guy in a van stops and with great effort, we get the bike back on 2 wheels. He helps me push it forward to level ground where I can finally get it on the sidestand. He asked if there was anything else he could do, and I told him I could probably fix it. I thank him profusely for probably saving my life, and he went on his way.
I un-strap the luggage, and pull off the seat and side panels. Turn on the key, and the approx 2 month old Holley Red pump starts pumping. I start the engine. It runs for maybe 30 seconds and stops. The pump isn’t working. I have a small voltage tester with my tools, and find the pump is getting voltage, and the ground is good. Luckily, I also carry the small stock BH pump that came with the bike. After a bit of surgery, the spare pump is hooked up. I turn on the key, and start her up. I let it run, and all seems OK. I put the body work back on, and strap on the luggage. As I got on the bike, I could feel the muscle in my back telling me this trip was over.
Just too many things trying to prevent me from taking this trip. Maybe it was time to listen to that little voice in my head.
OK…………Uncle……….I Give Up!
Now it’s Monday night, and my back is getting better. Tomorrow, I’ll head out to the garage and put the Carter pump back in.
Myrtle Beach………………Maybe next year.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
I have luck like that especially with the weather. I try not to plan my bike trips. So far the best ones I've had have been spontaneous on sunny days. Hope your back feels better. I've pulled my back lots so know what it feels like owchh.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Man I hate to hear that. :roll: I'm heading out today and I'll make sure to smoke a tire in your honor Bro. Take care of that back. :?

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Don,

Well, like you said, some things are just not meant to be :cry: Sure hope it is just the pump that took a dump.

Ya know you'd think they'd figure out some miracle pill for these aging backs, you can take a pill to make you stay stiff all night, lower your cholesterol, reduce arthritis, lose weight........albeit with a lot of side affects.............but these old backs are stuck with surgery or good old Advil :cry:

Good thing that guy stopped for ya, it could have been a long wait, or worse some idiot would have clipped you while you sat there :oops:

Rest up the back and take it easy.

Tim

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Don ,

Im sorry to hear about your problems and hope your back is going to be Ok . Bummer you got to miss Myrtle .

What the hell is wrong with that Holley Red pump . Because I run one I'd like to ask you a couple of questions . Are you running a relay ? are you running a fuel pressure regulator ? Do you have a fuel pressure gage and if so what pressure are you running ?

Jack

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Jack and Don:

I should share some information, right or wrong, it's a judgement call.

Back in 2000 many owners were having problems with the factory pump
either going bad or just not having the capacity for the 502, hence the
hunt started for a better mouse trap.

If I remember correctly, Carb Mike and myself started looking up every
performance board we could find on the net for any feed back on electric
fuel pumps.

We heard many bad things said about the reliability of the Holly pumps.
Black, Red or whatever color didn't make a difference.

We were told that the Carter pump was the way to go for long life, with
the only downside, being the mounting of the pump on the bike.

Again this info was dug up from many users of electric pumps for hot
rods.

Mike, if you read this, maybe you could add anything I may have forgotten.

Geez

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
I know my Carter has been in for quite a while and I've had no problems, but they are more restrictive where you can mount them due to size.

Kinda like tires and oil........everyone has a preference. I would think the new factory replacement pumps wouls be a good alternative, but I don't remeber which pump they decided to use.???

Tim

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jack,
Can't tell you what exactly is wrong with the Holley except it stopped pumping. It felt pretty hot. After it cools for awhile, it starts working again, but not for long. Also it sounded like the speed of the pump motor was fluctuating. I took it off today and put the Carter back on in the same location you have yours. I tried it before I took it out, and it worked, but still didn't sound right.
Yes, I'm running a relay. That checked out OK. No pressure regulator.
Pressure guage was normally reading about 6 PSI. When it started pumping again, while I was stuck, pressure was only 3 lbs, and then dropped off to nothing and stopped working. Maybe just a bad unit, but once bitten, twice shy! Keep that spare pump with you!

Geezer,
Right now, my judgement says stick with the Carter.
It's the same type the factory is using now.
Carter P4070.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Don....That sucks big time. Did the bike get damaged? I'm running the Holley Red pump and now am paranoid! I'll definitely bring the stock pump on my next long trip. Since you are home...get in touch for a Saturday or Sunday ride...Joe

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Joe,
No damage to the bike. Just my pride. Keep me in mind when people think you're crazy for carrying a spare pump. What a life saver!!!
Weekends are spoken for by the little woman til after Americade. I'm going to see if I can find a place to stay in Laconia this year. If I can, I'm going to try for Weds through Sat. Any chance of you making it to Laconia?

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Hey Don....I still work!....Remember that? Just stay in touch and we'll do it. Damn that Holley failure has me worried. Has anyone else here had a failure with the Holley Red? That dumb little stock 2000 plunger type fuel pump that everyone says is a piece of **** never failed me in 25,000 miles. It's definitely going in my tool bag...Joe
PS. Can't do Laconia.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Joe:

I remember at the 03 Nat Rally, The regulator part of Badger's Holly
Red took a dump. We took the carb apart and hydro-locked the engine
three times before changing out fuel pumps. All was well with the new
pump.

Don't feel bad, if my "Aeromotive Fuel Injectin Pump" quits, I talking about
$300.00 plus fedx and a motel room.

Damn, now I'am worried :roll: :roll:

Geez

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Well, I've had my bike now for 5 months and have had 2 fuel pump failures and the third pump I have on now, I constantly worry about when it's going to quit. I didn't hear about the Carter *.P. until I had replaced this last one. I don't have very many miles on this newest pump.

As I was reading your tail of woes and you described how your bike quit, I knew it was the fuel pump. I guess misery loves company. The pumps I've been using are the stock pumps that came with the 02 model. I plan to take this pump off and replace it with a Carter and keep this one as a back-up. Does anyone have a part number for the Carter pump?

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Thanks Don ,

I also carry the stock fuel pump equipped with by pass hose's , clamps and connectors to make the change simple in case my pump fails . If my Holley does fail it goes in the trash can and I will install a Carter but so far so good . Of all the parts to fail on the Boss , I think the fuel pump is the easiest to replace . Now the water pump is another story .

Jack

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jack,
Water Pump :shock: :shock: :shock: Bite your tongue!!!! Ha Ha!!
As I remember, you and I both converted to the new style pump, and that seems to be doing just fine. Maybe the Holley pump failure was just a fluke. But having that little spare pump was a God send.

Rick,
Carter pump # CRT-P4070
Here's a link to Summit.

http://store.summitracing.com/default.a ... search.asp

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
zenbiker said:
Hey Don....I still work!....Remember that? Just stay in touch and we'll do it. Damn that Holley failure has me worried. Has anyone else here had a failure with the Holley Red? That dumb little stock 2000 plunger type fuel pump that everyone says is a piece of sheet never failed me in 25,000 miles. It's definitely going in my tool bag...Joe
PS. Can't do Laconia.
Joe,
Work..............Hmmmmmmmmmm :? ...................I looked it up in the dictionary, and I do seem to recall having done it at one time. But from the definition, it sounds like something you should seriously consider giving up as soon as possible!! :wink:

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Don/Jack,

When my first stock pump died I put on the Carter and never looked back. Still don't carry a spare (should I suppose) but that Carter has a good reputation in the car aftermarket.....

The only piece on my Boss that worries me is the water pump. It has never leaked, squealed or coughed, but I suppose I should have a new stye pump on the shelf just in case it dies :wink: Huh??

Tim

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tim,
That's the thing with "toys." Ya never know. But, I always say: "Better looking at it, than for it!" :wink:

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Don,

But remember I'm in trucking :? ..........just in time attitude ya know. Stuff on the shelf is $$ gathering dust. Of course it's nice to have a dealer that I can drive right by on the way home who stocks a lot of parts 8)

I'm gonna stop and see Marv today to grab some goodies for Wag, so I'll see if he has a new style in stock and if my pump cover will fit on it.

Tim

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Tim,
I wish Stamford BH was that close to me!!
I had to trim my cover a bit to fit the new style pump. Maybe you won't.
I have the thin Stainless cover.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts