Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the spec for the 350/385 valve lash adjustment
is Zero lash plus and additional 1/2 turn? :?: :?:

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Joe,
Nope.........not building anything. Just thought I heard a valve tapping. Probably nothing, but never hurts to have information! I'll get my stethoscope out and have a listen!

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Don...
If you get in there, be sure to retorque your heads while you`re at it. Mine took a good 1/4 turn to put them to spec. I had a leak to the outside.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tom,
Good idea. Will do. What did you torque them to? Thanks

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Tighten the adjuster on the rocker arm until the pushrod is fairly hard to turn with your thumb and fore finger and the pushrod has no up and down play at all. Then an additional 1/2 turn tighter will get you where you want to be. Remember the valve you are playing with has to be completely closed which means the lifter has to be on the bottom circle of the cam.....Joe

·
Registered
287 Posts
Don,

Just a suggestion, the there is precious little space between the rockers and the valve cover. Try loosening up the valve cover bolts a little.

Alan

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Joe,
The PCV is OK.

Alan,
I will try that. You just jogged my memory in that when I first got the bike, I was checking everything over, and snugged up the valve cover screws just a bit. I had to back them off because I could here a valve clicking. Certainly worth a try! Thanks!! :D

·
Registered
287 Posts
Don,

You may have to put some clear silicone under the head of the bolts to keep it from leaking a little oil. It won't leak much, but just keep the cover a little messy.

Alan

·
Registered
142 Posts
Valve lash adjust

Hi All

As a suggestion you may want to use those thick rubber reusable valve cover gaskets. They give you a little more height on the valve cover.

Dean

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tried loosening the valve cover screws a bit today while listening with my stethoscope. I could hear 1 or 2 clacking on each side. As I loosened the screws a bit, the clacking stopped. Same on both sides. Thanks Allan for the idea! :capwin:
If I don't wind up with any leaks, I'll leave the gaskets alone for now. But I will change them to the thicker rubber ones in the future, (Thanks Dean) if not sooner. I guess after a while, the gaskets must compress with age. Kinda like my spine! Ha Ha!!
Live and learn. You guys are the BEST! :D

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Don...What gaskets do you have? I've had my valve covers off so many times that I'm on my third set and they are thick rubber. I got mine at Auto Zone and no problem....Joe

1 - 20 of 24 Posts