V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone help me send some messages to this fella to get him to start actually building bikes. He's got a great bike idea available, and something he wants to do:
http://www.earledesigns.com/html/d-train_cycles.html

Ford 302 V8 mounted transverse (sideways), and very tightly packaged. He says it's a 65" wheelbase, and about 800 pounds.

With the engine mounted transverse, there's no 'flopping' over with the bike when you're on the throttle; all the power goes directly to the rear wheel and is very controllable. It was featured in Bike Works magazine a couple years back.

I've seen it on the road here in Seattle, it's sick.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Ok.... so here are my first impressions:

Now, I'm no mechanic so take what I say with a grain of salt..... just observations. The exhaust is different lengths from each exhaust port so doesn't this create different back pressures on each cylinder??? The rear sprocket looks to be the same as the front ( I know these are prototype pics) so I can only assume it will be changed out for a larger one. Primary drive looks too wide to be comfortable......
Solid wheel??? Don't do it!!! Looks to be a yama R1 front end...... nice, but is it up to the job of handling the weight??? Wouldn't there be a bit of flex in the frame neck since there is no down tube(s)????

Would love to see a complete left side view......

Where is the fuel tank??? Is it that piece that sits on what appears to be a battery frame box?

As much as I admire the guys skills and effort....... I think it has a ways to go. For me, a lot of the appeal of riding a V8 bike is having both banks of cylinders hanging out for all to see...... kinda missing that point here.

Just my .02.:chat:

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
.....The rear sprocket looks to be the same as the front ( I know these are prototype pics) so I can only assume it will be changed out for a larger one. .
When using a car trans-axle, the final drive ratio is already set, so a 1 to 1 sprocket would maintain the factory Final Drive ratio of around 4.10 to 1.
Solid wheel??? Don't do it!!!
I have solid wheels, and do not notice cross wind steering with mine.

...Wouldn't there be a bit of flex in the frame neck since there is no down tube(s)????
The engine is the down tube.
:cheers:

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Thx Elvis....... wasn't sure about the sprocket set-up but what you say makes sense. As for the solid wheels, I'm just going on the history of friends with Fatboys and that they seem to get a little more sideways effect on the highways..... maybe your bike has the slight weight advantage (I ain't callin ya fat!!) :roflblack:

And for the engine as the downtube...... I could see the lower frame platform for the engine but really couldn't make out the connection up top. I guess it would make sense that there would be a mount there and make the engine a stressed member. A stressed member??? (insert joke here)!!:yikes:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To al, I haven't owned one myself, but have heard of certain effects of an in-line V8. Absolutely non disrespect to the Boss Hoss owners, but heard that with a throttle wide open and you can't turn left supposedly. Two in Seattle have died on left hand turns in neighborhoods in the past five years. Maybe it was something else but folks said it may have been the configuration of he motor. My only insight is sitting in a car with a big motor and seeing it 'flop' under throttle. Like I said, only hearsay.

To Matt, each exhaust tube was independent of four cylinders. Good call, I believe he did say something about Yamaha front end with the springs replaced. The fuel tank is a a void welded on the outside of the oil pan.

Good call Elvis

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
the boss hoss isn't the best handling bike out there, but trying to turn left at W.O.T makes about as much sense as trying it in a top fuel dragster. learn how to ride AND RESPECT the bike, and all should be well. my $.02 randy

·
Registered
115 Posts
I can understand why they got killed. That sounds like suicide,full throttle in a straight line is enough to handle, can't imagine turning like they did.

Al

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
To al, I haven't owned one myself, but have heard of certain effects of an in-line V8. Absolutely non disrespect to the Boss Hoss owners, but heard that with a throttle wide open and you can't turn left supposedly. Two in Seattle have died on left hand turns in neighborhoods in the past five years. Maybe it was something else but folks said it may have been the configuration of he motor. My only insight is sitting in a car with a big motor and seeing it 'flop' under throttle. Like I said, only hearsay.

To Matt, each exhaust tube was independent of four cylinders. Good call, I believe he did say something about Yamaha front end with the springs replaced. The fuel tank is a a void welded on the outside of the oil pan.

Good call Elvis
Stride

The design of the Boss Hoss will not twist the bike side ways unless you are in neutral or the tranny will allow the engine to free wind. The second the torque is put to the rear wheel the twist goes away so the problem you are referring to will not happen unless there is a problem with the bike.
I know that a fellow from the area you speak of came into a construction zone and the rear brake locked up causing it to high side and his wife did perish.
When I got my first Boss Hoss the tranny was a mess and every time I give it gas the engine would free wind and the bike would twist but as soon as I got that problem fixed the twist was over.

Adrian

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
solid wheels

A friend of mine has solid wheels on his Harley ( fat boy )and claims it makes no difference with side winds. He does not have any more effect from the wind with the solid wheels.

Ciao
Giancarlo
Ride Smart

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Who, besides a flattracker or speedway rider would try a full throttle turn on any bike???? I don't know what Strider rides, but I doubt he has ever tried it. Hell, I wouldn't do it on my wifes Moped

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Like I said, I don't know the details of the wrecks unfortunately and maybe shouldn't have even brought it up. I'm only on the gas coming out of the turn as well (obviously) on any bike, so who knows what happened there. Thanks Randy for acknowledging the issue though. Didn't mean to derail the thread on the comment.

The theory on the D-Train bike certainly seems sound though. His center of gravity is really low to the ground as well. I got ahold of him through email yesterday, and attached a neat burnout pic he sent. I passed on the link from the forum here, so hopefully he'll join in and add some insight on the design.

Overall, I just always think it's pretty darn cool seeing something new and innovative. I'd like to see where this goes, if anywhere.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts