V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a performance question, but not for my Boss Hoss. I recently purchased a boat with a V-8 V-Drive, and true to form for a guy that rides a Boss Hoss I want to turn up the H.P. After spending a couple of days looking for answers on the web I decided to try you guys. It seems not everyone is as interested in H.P. as we are!

My question is, if I install heads, cam, and intake, will I be able to use the existing TBI, will it accomodate added H.P. Anybody have any experience with Throttle Body Injection up around 300 - 350 H.P.? I was told by a local hot rod builder that you can increase the fuel pressure to the TBI to accomodate the increase?

By the way, how much Horsepower is enough????

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Warren:

Not knowing exactually what engine you are dealing with, it's hard
to answer your question.

To give you an idea of the limitations of TBI, the factory cannot use
it with the hot cam in the 385hp small block, just the ZZ4 355hp. For
whatever reason it cannot properly handle the cam timing in the 385.

Port injection is the favorite for performance applications

Geez

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Geezer:

That's pretty interesting! Maybe the duration of the intake, so that the fuel inj can't keep up? I'm hoping to get some specs from the manufacturer so I can know what exactly I have. Maybe I should break out the bucks and go multi-port. We shall see.

Elvis:

Nice boat! Mines not exactly like that. It's a Mastercraft - more of a wakeboard/ski boat. No pics yet, maybe next time.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Warren:

I would give "Fast" ( fuel air technology) or ''Holly" a call. They could
sure give you much more info that I could provide about TBI vs Port
injection.

I have been tinkering with the idea myself of converting my 502 to
injection, but have balked at the $$$$$$ and problems of putting
10lbs of s**t in a 5lb bag regarding the space limitations on the Hoss.

I don't know if the pain would be worth the pleasure, as I have spent
tons of time getting my carb dialed in for my blow through supercharger
system. It currently runs too damn good, and thinking I should leave
well enough alone :roll:

Best of luck on your project...

Geez

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found out that my 350 is a Pre-Vortec, flat tappet engine, and it appears that neither the computer, nor the throttle body will handle an increase. There's a shop in Tucson that builds a "marinized" 383 with a super broad torque band - (max torque @ 4500 rpm). He just built one for a guy and installed the Edelbrock EFI. He will have it on the dyno tomorrow, and I am going to check it out. Sounds like just what the doctor ordered for the ol' boat. I can let you know how the EFI looks and dim's.

I've also thought about putting the Edelbrock EFI on my ZZ4 350, although like you I'm not sure why. I'd be interested to know whether there would be better throttle response, fuel economy, etc. Any one had any experience installing one of these systems?

Warren

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
Warren

If you have a good motor I would buy the B&M power charger. That will give you a 35 to 40% increase in HP and if you blow the motor you will still be able to use the power charger on your new motor.

Adrian

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Adrian:

How's it going? Met you out in Laughlin @ the river run. What is the B&M power charger, and I will still probably need to change the EFI?

Any links?

Warren

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
It's a supercharger and costs about $2,500. You can use the EFI with no problem.

Adrian

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Adrian,

I ran into two problems, one is there is not adequate space, the other is that the Holly techs say that the TBI will not handle the increase. It is amazing the increase you can get with even the smallest of the Supercharger on a stock motor though. I would have to do some major mod's to the engine compartment.

Warren

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
Warren Graves said:
Adrian,

I ran into two problems, one is there is not adequate space, the other is that the Holly techs say that the TBI will not handle the increase. It is amazing the increase you can get with even the smallest of the Supercharger on a stock motor though. I would have to do some major mod's to the engine compartment.

Warren
I didn't know it was a closed compartment. FI is great for most applications but on a boat I don't see very many of them on the lake. I would go to a good Holley that can be dialed in to handle all the HP the engine can build.
It will take a 383 or 388 to do much for you otherwise, but for my bucks, I would open the top of the engine cover (if possiable) and poke the blower with a carburator out the top and hang on. They do look bad just like the Boss Hoss's.
Adrian

1 - 12 of 12 Posts