V8 Bike Riders Forums banner

Update On Tranny Problem

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  V-MAN 
#1 ·
I spoke to Jim Callaway this morning regarding my "reverse" problem. I wanted to make sure the transmission was on it's way back to CT but more importantly I wanted to know what happened.

When the tech pulled the tranny apart the reverse band was not broken but it was GLAZED ... very badly. He said he would have expected me to still have reverse, just slipping because the band could not grip well. I explained that I had NOTHING for reverse not even a hint of it pulling. I asked him if it could be a possible over tightening of the adjustment. He said the revision A trannys that was a problem ... dealers/owners would over tighten (tried to adjust with rear wheel on the ground ... it should be raised then adjusted) and the band would break or glaze and be useless. The revision B trannys have a safeguard (stack of washers) to avoid the "too tight" problem.

Funny thing - our conversation went into "what if the tranny is cold/cold climates". He basicly said the same thing that Adrian, Tim and Jack all brought up ... If the transmission is COLD letting off the reverse button WILL NOT release the reverse band immediantly, the band will stay engaged for awhile before the spring will overcome and close the piston. He assured me this is "normal" for our transmissions. He also said the way the bike will creep forward when transmission is cold in neutral is also "normal" and is what they expect.

After talking with Jim I decided for me, I will let the bike run for a few minutes when it is stone cold and in the middle of the winter I will let it run even longer before I try and move the bike ... especially if the gear I want is reverse. Hope this information is of some help to somebody. It sounds like many of you guys already have/had a handle on it.

BTW, my transmission is on the way to CT and it has the new torque converter attached :D :D :D :D :D so warm weather here I come!

See less See more
#2 ·
That's good news that your going to have your bike back together soon. When I mentioned that I updated my reverse servo piston and O ring and adjusted it according to the instructions , this also was supposed to eliminate the possablity of over tightening the reverse band.
Don, if your bike was a demo at Bennington Boss Hoss or if it had any miles on it at all when you bought it , theres no way of knowing how the tranny was treated. Like I said , I've see guys try to back up a steep incline and you can just hear that tranny laboring like hell and that can not do the reverse band any good. Any way , good luck with your rebuild.

#3 ·
HogV8 said:
That's good news that your going to have your bike back together soon. When I mentioned that I updated my reverse servo piston and O ring and adjusted it according to the instructions , this also was supposed to eliminate the possablity of over tightening the reverse band.
Don, if your bike was a demo at Bennington Boss Hoss or if it had any miles on it at all when you bought it , theres no way of knowing how the tranny was treated. Like I said , I've see guys try to back up a steep incline and you can just hear that tranny laboring like hell and that can not do the reverse band any good. Any way , good luck with your rebuild.
Jack

When you changed the piston and O-Ring and made the adjustment did you do it with the rear wheel off the ground method? I assume you got the new piston and seal from NESCO so I am sure you were given the right instructions.

I think you nailed it with my bike! My bike was not a demo but it was being riden by the owner. I forget the milage but I think it was around 300 - 400 miles and I have no idea how it was treated :? I'm happy, I'm getting it back and it will be fresh now.

#5 ·
Glenn Boglisch said:
V-Man,
You have Bruce & Debbie working on it. If you are passing through the Hartford area to go down or back let me know. Maybe we can hitch up for a few. I am 10 minutes north of Hartford. Good luck. They will take good care of you.
Glenn
Glenn

Yea they are GREAT people at Stamford. Kevin stayed late to make sure he got the tranny out, crated and shipped the next morning ... GREAT people - I can't say enough good things about them all!

Send me a number I can reach you at to my e-mail (don@v-man.org) and I will give you a call while I am down there. Somehow I thought you were on the west side of CT. I'll give you a call and hopefully we can meet up on my way back north. Last time I went down I left here at 2AM - don't think you want me to wake you that early! :)

Don

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.