V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Lamont, is that a front or rear wheel bearing? I had one come apart like that on a 01 502 with 7,000 miles. I don't know what brand the factory uses but I put Timkins in and have not had a problem since. I don't remember the brand that was in the bike, but it was a name that I had not seen before. Bill

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
You have about 3 ways to get the rear inner races out . #1 , weld a large washer to it inner race and press or pound it out , # 2 welds a few spots around the inside to press or pound it out or #3, grind it almost thru with a dremmel tool or the likes and break it out . Let us know how you finally got it out .

What made them go bad so quickly , too tight on the axle torque?

Jack

·
Registered
481 Posts
Gentlemen,
Thank you Lamont for the pics.Good thing you found it when you did. Noises do mean something, huh?
This is why I insist on having my wheel bearings repacked everytime I have a tire changed, wether is be front or back. The front berings are used on Harleys ( I believe), which is usually sees 300lbs MAX on them not 600-700lbs we have.

Dave in Columbus, Ohio

·
Registered
838 Posts
HogV8 said:
You have about 3 ways to get the rear inner races out . #1 , weld a large washer to it inner race and press or pound it out , # 2 welds a few spots around the inside to press or pound it out or #3, grind it almost thru with a dremmel tool or the likes and break it out . Let us know how you finally got it out .

What made them go bad so quickly , too tight on the axle torque?

Jack
There is also a #4 way to get them out. I got mine out with a race puller.
It was so hard to do - it almost broke my neck. Not very suggestable way.
But if I remember right, my Boss pal Andy told me he got his out by
heating up the whole hub, and then spraying the race with "Ice Spray".

Loaf

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't think there is an easy way. I cut slots in the race and then welded a washer to the race (2" OD washer) and then knocked them out. Tuff job. :?

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
I do it the way you did it.

Adrian

·
Registered
11 Posts
race bearing

Lamont, did the press fit diam,clean up,on mine the hacks only cleaned up75%of the diam. not enough stock in casting to clean up bore diam. :!:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts