V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys:
I'm new to the v8 bikes here. What kind of tranny do these big bikes run?
How do they hook up to the rear wheel? Thanks for everything!!!

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Re: NESCO junk?

This is V8BikeRiders.com, not IhateMyBossHoss.com. If your going to keep this up then you will be removed from the membership. Sorry about your problem but you are the exception and not the rule. If you hate your bike so much then sell it and move on, life is too short. :roll:

X-Ray said:
Anvil,
Trans is the weak link, two speed w reverse by NESCO, belt drive to the rear wheel. My 2004 crapped out at 6K miles, factory blamed me, won't back up the product, screw the customer......Ray

http://www.v8bikeriders.com/viewtopic.php?t=1088

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
anvil72 said:
Hey Guys:
They are a two speed auto with reverse made by Nessco in Cookville TN. They hookup pretty good but changing the torque converter to a highstall conveter makes it hookup even better. :twisted: Most of us only play in first because 2nd is just an overdrive.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The factory is the problem!!!

Hey LaMont,
I ride my bike every day, my comments are directed at the factory, the trans, and specifically Rad Hunsley. I didn't know that this board was a mouthpiece for the factory, that'a why they purchased BHRA. What the $#&#%#? we can disent with the Canadian government, but the factory is off limits, if that's the case do what you want. I think every potential boss hoss owner needs to know what to expect from corporate Boss Hoss when they run into a problem with their trans, and odds are they will run into a problem. To deny the problem is to stick your head in the sand. RAD HUNSLEY'S THE PROBLEM NOT ME. He can fix it right now if he wanted to fix it. Elliot said it the best:
Elsboss said:
Gentlemen,

I've been saying it for 4 years now and will say it until there's a re-design. The Boss Hoss tranny has been, and will continue to be a problem. There have been minor fixes but they've gone 1/2 way IMHO. This board is comprised of a very fractional number of the total number of Bosses out there and if one was to have the data of the number of tranny problems relative to the total number of bikes, you would be convinced that there is indeed a serious problem. Percentages should be unacceptable if they were half what they are.

The fact that some of you have said; "I've never had a problem" doesn't mean sheet. The numbers (percentage wise) req'd for auto mfgs to recall and repair are microscopic as compared to the number of tranny related issues that have been associated with the 2 speed Nesco on BH's.

I feel sorry for this guy. The insinuation that it is possibly his fault is shameful, again, IMHO. Tom and Mtn BH, Mike and Summit BH are as good as it gets but the factory....horse of a different color. In spite of some of you having had a win with the factory on an issue or two, I've heard many that have hit the wall. Absolutely shameful.

You guys that do run the piss out of them (1% by my observation) better keep the damn tranny in 1st gear. Even then, the boogie man's gonna eventually get you...statistically a fact. Remember the old Yahoo posts? Anyone not know what SOSDD means?

Elliot
I'll continue to complain about the factory, it's your move....Ray

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Ray...
What about the warranty exclusion for the big block bikes??

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
anvil72 said:
Hey Guys:
Anvil

You get sour grapes like (X-Ray) with everything, but as for the Tranny it is a good one and will last as long as you do, if you treat it right. Several guys do super long burn outs and have never had a problem however some see how much the thing can take. Doing burn outs in low range is not considered abuse but power shifting is. It will take a lot of abuse but it will give up like any other tranny will if you just keep it up. The tranny works good, is a 2 speed with second being an O/Drive.

Adrian

·
Registered
69 Posts
Tom,
I was seriously considering a big block, but when MBH told me No Warrantee, I didn't give it another thought....Ray

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I was under the impression your bike WAS a big block..... My mistake.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Ray this site is not a mouth piece for the factory, the factory has no connection here but it is a mouth piece for those who love this bike and other V8 bikes and I have no problem with folks talking about legitimate problems but if you don't have one good thing to say about your bike and all you have to offer is sour grapes about this bike then maybe you need to hangout somewhere else or start your own website. If I see your post I already know what it is going to be about, you have become a broken record here. I pay for this site to help promote V8 bikes and their riders, I don't run this site so you can use it to discourage all the new guys that come here looking for information about this bike and it's riders. We have only heard your side of the story and I'm sure there is a lot more that would shed a little more light on this and why you have not been taken care of the way you think you should of.
Most of us are happy with our bikes and know that the tranny "can" be a problem but there are guys like Crazy Rick who ride his big block hard and never have a problem. If new guys were to read just your post they would think that all these guys have problems and that the factory and dealers don't do anything for any of their customers, that simply is not the case. I had a four year old tranny that was repaired for free and I never asked for anything from Nessco, they took it upon themselves to rebuild my tranny on their dime. Maybe the problem is the way you handled your problem, I'm not sure but I have nothing but good things to say about the way they handled my problem and that was before this website even existed.

I think your point has been made and you need to leave it at that and continue your crusade somewhere else.

·
Registered
526 Posts
LaMonsterV8 said:
Ray this site is not a mouth piece for the factory, the factory has no connection here but it is a mouth piece for those who love this bike and other V8 bikes and I have no problem with folks talking about legitimate problems but if you don't have one good thing to say about your bike and all you have to offer is sour grapes about this bike then maybe you need to hangout somewhere else or start your own website. If I see your post I already know what it is going to be about, you have become a broken record here. I pay for this site to help promote V8 bikes and their riders, I don't run this site so you can use it to discourage all the new guys that come here looking for information about this bike and it's riders. We have only heard your side of the story and I'm sure there is a lot more that would shed a little more light on this and why you have not been taken care of the way you think you should of.
Most of us are happy with our bikes and know that the tranny "can" be a problem but there are guys like Crazy Rick who ride his big block hard and never have a problem. If new guys were to read just your post they would think that all these guys have problems and that the factory and dealers don't do anything for any of their customers, that simply is not the case. I had a four year old tranny that was repaired for free and I never asked for anything from Nessco, they took it upon themselves to rebuild my tranny on their dime. Maybe the problem is the way you handled your problem, I'm not sure but I have nothing but good things to say about the way they handled my problem and that was before this website even existed.

I think your point has been made and you need to leave it at that and continue your crusade somewhere else.

My tranny has been modified but not because of any mechanical problems!! Mine was modified per my request to help it handle my modifications better. In fact, when the “Flying Brick” was taken apart to modify everything was perfect with the tranny and I ride mine harder than most here. If you ride as you say mine gets more of a workout in 100 miles than yours does in 5k! I suspect what happened but I will reserve my comments because I have not watched you ride but the point has been made now take your Bat, Ball and Glove and go elsewhere.

You have been given what amounts to your walking papers by the owner so what’s it gonna be?

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Anvil
Now didnt you open up a big can of worms. I did a pole last year on trany problems as some have done before. I kept close tabs on 3 sites and some of the guys posted their negative comments on all 3 sites so there are some sheet lemons out there as in any machine. If you scroll back through the posts you will find the info you are looking for. My tranny 2002/350/385hp went limp out on the road and would not catch until I reved her quite a bit. It had happened to someone else and their solution was to let her rip big time. So I did and problem solved. These bikes require tlc. I am a distance rider with the odd burnout and after a year of ownership still get a woody just sitting on the bike and going vroooooom.
Once you ride one chances are you will never go back to your previous bike without regret unless you like the lite weight twisty roads and expect the bike to manouver with the grace of a gazell. My tranny is fine.

Bill

·
Registered
66 Posts
Anvil,
I have my second Boss Hoss right now and have had no problems with either bikes tranny. I am sure any manufacturer of any kind of bike puts out a bad one once in a while. As with any mechanical device, if you don't take care of it and thrash it continously, it will probably fail sooner or later, but as said in the previous post, if you ever ride one, you will probably be addicted like most members on this site. I have had Hondas, Yamaha's , and several Harleys, but there is nothing in my eyes that compares to the Boss Hoss !!!
Kevin

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Anvil, just curious....are you from the VTX board by chance?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts