V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I've got a strange sqeal in my bike. The alt belt was loose and that went away after tightening but there's something else.

Once in a while it almost seems like a rumbling bearing noise coming from the transmission at an idle. And then it may be a slight squeal or go away all together. When I first take off, it seems the transmission squeals pretty good under load until I get to 20mph or so. I'm inclined not to give it too much because it doesn't sound normal. After that the trans operates normally.

I've checked the oil and it's in the sightglass. I'm going to drain it and change it soon anyway, but was wondering about any suggestions you may have. I'm suspecting the torque converter but hope there's no problem. It's an 2003 2 speed.
thanks
stu

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tom,
I'll have a look at that, thanks. Mine shimmies at over 100mph too.
After a brief look at the rear pulley, it's all the way over to one side, so I'll definitely look at aligning the belt and doing the whole procedure.
stu

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Stu..
Have you found your squealing noise yet? One thing to keep in mind is even if your belt is close to center in the front.... if your engine is out of alignment with the rear pulley..... The rear pulley guide will keep the belt off the edge in the front when torque is not applied but when you accelerate, the belt will walk to one side. Easy enough to check... just pull your left side cover and watch the belt... Hold the front brake and apply torque while moving slowly. You will see the belt move over.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tom,
Thanks, I'll check that. I serviced my trans yesterday including taking the pan off and cleaning the screen. There were a few small metal shavings in the screen and sludge on the pan cover. On Barrys advice from Airdrie, I switched to Amsoil to fill it back up. The trans made no noise at all until the oil warmed up and then it was the same again.

I get a high pitched whine from the tranny all the time when it's warm. It sounds like an electronic noise, but must be a hydraulic bypass noise of some kind. Also, my converter I think, makes a rotating noise that sometimes goes away when I put it in gear or not.

The converter still squeals in direct proportion to how hard I accelerate until about 25 mph. After that, everything works normally and the transmission works. I'm going to run it for the summer, but either I'll get somebody who knows more about this to look at it, or I'll rip it apart next winter and maybe go with a higher stall converter. It's a good excuse to do that.

thanks
stu

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
My 05 makes the same type noise you are talking about. The squealing is the belt. Mine is for sure moving over and rubbing the guide on the front pulley. I am going to adjust it this weekend. I`ll let you know. As far as your converter noise.... The factory says it`s normal. I had a front seal leaking so while the trans was out I had nesco go through it. They could not find anything wrong and the noise is still there. Screw it.... Doesn`t seem to be hurting anything and I am running with juice. I think I would have broke it by now if it were going to break. They also say some metal is normal at first. That is why they want you to do the first service at 2000 miles. After that it should stay clean. Or so I have been told.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm probably going to see Bryan Ward this weekend and he's had this bike for longer, so I'll get his opinion. I'll definitely check on that belt too.
thanks

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Since when did they change the first service to 2000 miles ? In my 2000 manual it say's the MANDATORY FIRST SERVICE MUST BE DONE AT 500 MILES OR NO MORE THAN 800 MILES. Of course 2000 was the first year of the 2 speed . Maybe that's the difference .

Jack

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I thought it said 500 miles, but I bought this bike with 5000 miles on it. Written in the manual it said something about a new trans being installed at 2500 miles so who knows. I may change the oil in the thing when I service the engine or every second time anyway. After I got the right tool for the pan bolts, it was nothing to do.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I think if your seeing metal particles and sluge , you should change it about every 2000 miles until it's clean . You don't need anything plugged up with particles or sluge .

Jack

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Stu,
I done the engine alignment procedure this weekend and my belt now stays centered in the front pulley... No more squeal. While I was at it I lubed my swing arm bushings... Might be something for you to look at because mine were dry from the factory. Also noticed antifreeze seeping from the bottom edge of the right headgasket so I retorqued the heads. Seems to be Ok now. This is not the first zz4 I have heard of with loose headbolts. Mine were barely 50 ft lbs. I also ran a hose with a breather filter up near the carb for the trans vent....... Should be good for summer now. :biker3:

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I checked mine, it's ok. My squeal is the trans for sure, probably the converter. It works though and I'm going to ride it this summer and if it blows up, I'll fix it then. Otherwise, I'll rip it apart next winter and tend to it. I like Bryan Wards setup and may go with the high stall converter anyway.

Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
CMF,

In the new style trannys, there is a oil passage that sometimes was not drilled "clean" during the mfg process and has a small fault that makes the fluid 'whine' as it goes through it. The noise typically goes away under power though. Mine did it before and after the converter change. I have pounded mine for 10M+ miles and it ain't broke yet......just jinxed myself for sure :? :oops: :roll:

Tim

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
I recently changed my rear tire and ended up with a squeal. Turns out my belt was just barely touching the lower belt guard. I took it off and did some creative bending and the squeal is gone. One more possibility...Joe

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
CMF,

One other to check are the 2 bolts that secure the trans to the frame crossmember.....mine came loose a couple years ago and fell out.....
the engine/trans were out about 1/4" before I caught it.

Tim

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Everything looks good there. Here's the thing when you buy a custom bike. There's five in the province, which means the dealer can't have a lot of experience with them in the service end. No offence meant, but that's just the way it is. So unless somebody has had the problem, and can give me advice, I'm stuck. Or I can ride a few days south to someone who can diagnose this properly. That's an option if I really get desparate.

I'm opting for the decision I made earlier. Ride it. I spent many years in mining working electrical maintenance and if it ain't broke, it's hard to fix. In my miniscule experience with things like this, it will get worse soon or just stay the same. If it gets worse, good, then I can fix it. If it stays the same, I can live with it for now.

Don't know what else to do.
stu

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
My belt has started whining at the front drive pulley. Starts being noticable around 30, and gets louder from there. The belt is running center of the pulley when its whining. I've tried it with the rear wheel jacked off the ground. Listened with a stethoscope to the outside and inside of the pulley. It's quiet both sides so it's not a bearing. and it's definitely coming from the belt contacting the teeth of the front pulley. I tried some graphite spray........no difference. Belt is tensioned to 400 Lbs. Bike has approx 7000 miles on it. Lots of rolling burnouts though. Any ideas? Thanks!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts