V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an 05 350/385 Hoss, and it seems to me to have an excessive amount of slip in the drive arrangement.
I don't know if it's because of the high stall converter or in the tranny itself, but I don't like it. I realize there must be quite a bit in order to make the bike docile enough to poke around town and such.
Anyone got any suggestions on what to do to make it hook up a little harder?

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Sorry to say this , but you probably are looking at an overhaul .

Jack

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
My tranny doesn't hit hard either at low speed. After 20mph or so it's 'hang on' time to 100+ mph.

I did have an instance though a couple of weeks ago in the mountains. I was climbing a long fairly steep grade at 80mph or so in 2nd. I wanted to pass somebody and hit it good. All of a sudden I could definitely see the rpms climb on the tach more than 300rpm but no more speed happening. I figure the tranny must have been hot and slipped at that point. I haven't put it in that situation since and it has been working ok.

These trannies feel mushy at low speed. At least mine does with the stock converter. I've only ridden my bike so I don't know for sure if that's normal, but with a fluid trans, it probably is.

stu

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Stu....It's been my experience that the bike should pull like a bandit at 80 MPH in 2nd without slippage. You may be losing your tranny. I hope not but anything above 70, even at full throttle, I get NO perceptible slippage.
The last time that happened to me I put in my third trans. I experienced the same thing when the second trans was trashed. Quite frankly, it's either your converter or trans but is not "normal"....Joe

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Surely it's not in need of an overhaul, it's an 05 with 900 miles on it.
As RPM's spool up it hooks good, it just seems "mushy at low speeds..beginning to think it's just the nature of the high stall converter, however as a former drag racer (Super Gas and lots of Bracket cars) I just don't think that even with the high stall converter it should be so soft on takeoffs at low throttle positions with a 385 hp engine only trying to motivate a 1400 lb vehicle (That's with me on it of course)

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
A1,

If you have th e#7 converter in it, it is a little sloppy on the takeoff roll uunder easy throttle......one thing I do (same small block 385 w/#7) is when the light changes or I take off, I sort of "flash" the convertor with a quick blip on the throttle, this seems to 'set it' and that sluggish feeling goes away. Tryit and see if it works for yours.

Tim

·
Registered
613 Posts
I also understand that the early 05's had some problems with the transmission pump and they have corrected it. You might check and see which pump you have. They can tell by the serial #,s of the bike. I would think that this would be covered by warranty. I am having the mod done to my 03 along with installing the #7 converter.
Milo

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Converters react to torque input of the engine.

If you have say a 3000rpm stall converter matched to a ZZ4, it will
hook up at 3000rpm roughly. With a 385 with the hot cam, this
rpm might vary a little as you have changed the torque curve of the
engine with the hot cam. Less torque on the bottome and more hp and
torque on the top end.

If this same converter is installed with a 502, it wll hook up at a
much lower rpm, due to more torque input.

As Grumpy said, when he flashes his converter, he is inputing more
torque into it, hence it hooks up faster.

It's just the nature of the beast, if in fact you have a higher stall converter
than stock. The stock converter hooks up in a ZZ4 at about 2100rpm,
unless the factory has made a recent change.

Geezer

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright guys..thanks for the tips and insights..
I'll give some of this good advise a try and let you know the results.
Again thanks.

Allen Dean
Austin,Tx

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Good luck, Alan but I trashed my first tranny in 700 miles. That was a 2000 and I know yours is better. Stu's problem, however, concerns me more. I can do WOT at 80 mph and get a hard kick in without watching the engine rev and having no acceleration...Joe

·
Registered
141 Posts
Jack, I can't stop laughing......"I think you're looking at a complete overhaul!" I think Allen will take some of these replies with a grain of salt from now on. Ya only live once...lets have some fun....Yahooooeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!! Steve

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I was riding all day and pulled into a service station. Things were fine until I wanted to leave and there was lots of rpm and no movement. This happened to someone else on the sites. The fix was to give it enough throttle to get going. A little scary when the rpm says you better hold on and your feet are still on the ground. Back on the road I gave her full throttle a little faster than normal, left her in first gear and blew a few doors off on the way. Did this a couple of times and it has been fine ever since. The conclusion was a sticky valve or sludge in a passagway. When I changed tranny oil there was some sludge and a small amount of metal dust. I am no expert . Just my experience on this one ocassioin.

Bill

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Steve , I know my statement was sorta blunt but I've been reading these forums and hearing about tranny problems since 2000 and I've learned that whenever someone complained about slippage in their trannys , it almost always resulted in an overhaul . Also I've been riding my 2 speed for 6 summers now and I don't have any slippage he was dicribeing . It could be sludge build up from the clutches wearing in and I hope it is for his sake , but we all know there are good trannys and there are bad trannys no matter how new they are .

I would definitely drop the pan, clean the filter and change the oil .

Good luck, Jack

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Bottom line, it's a 05 and should still be under warrenty.

I would take it back to the dealer for a check up.

Geezer

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Alan,

Drop the trans pan and filter. Let it sit over the drain pan over night. Betting you have a ton of junk in there and its plugging the screen.

Worth a try.

Tim

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
transmission slippage

Well,turns out there's a factory recall with some new parts needing to be replaced in the tranny.David,the dealer in Houston came to my house yesterday and picked it up to take it back to Houston to do the upgrades,along with a few other mods I'm having him do.
We'll see how it does when I get it back...will keep all posted.

Allen Dean
Austin,Tx

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Hate to say I told you so but the symptoms didn't sound normal to me . Hope it works out for you and you get the bike back soon , better than new .

Jack

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just got bike back from Dealer after the Transmission recall/upgrades and it's 200% better now...now as soon as I release the brake it starts to roll at idle, and with just the slightest throttle application it motors on now like it ought to.
Problem solved !
Also had dealer do some Carb mods...made big differenc in throttle response too...much crisper and snappier.

Allen Dean,
Austin,Tx

1 - 20 of 22 Posts