V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have another question for you guys about Gary's (new Boss owner) bike. He has a 2001 Boss, and he was told it has the John deere Hy-Gard tranny fluid in it. I know myself and almost everyone here runs the Mobil MX4T. The question is this...will they mix? I am going to help him change his tranny fluid, and was wondering if it is ok to use the MX4T, with the Deere in it. I was concerned they may not mix? I know you guys would know..thanks! Mike

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Mike , yes they will mix . What I did when I changed to MX4T was to drop the pan and let it drain for a couple of days in an effort to drain as much out of the converter . I also measured the amount that drained and added that exact amount of MX4T back into the tranny . Not really necessary but it's what I did out of curiosity . Some guys have pumped their converters out but it depends on what you want to do .

Jack

·
Registered
538 Posts
MX4T

My 2001 had Deere in it when I bought it in '03. Asked the guys at Va. Cycles and they have switched many over to the MX4T without a problem. Just let it drain a day or so. After the second change it's fully flushed. Have 9k or so on it since, no problems (well, the return spring broke but that's a different issue).

Go ahead.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Having a real tough time finding that rating of Mobil in Ontario. A high performance place near me sells Royal Purple synthetic tranny fluid that they use in most of their customers HiPo Chevys and Mustangs. Any thoughts or comments on this stuff?:-}

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Doc,

MX4T is not a transmission fluid. It's a synthetic engine oil developed for 2 strokes that have "wet" clutch assemblies. Have to be careful what you put in there.

I think Amzoil & Royal Purple have similar products but not sure what their labeled as........

Tim

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
The reason that Boss Hoss settled on Mobile was the MX4T does not attack the wiring inside the transmission for the Reverse. Some other oils will not let the wire or the solenoid live.
Use what you want.

Adrian

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Barry said he talked to Jim Calloway about Amsoil. This is a BH dealer telling me to put it in and it's cheaper than the Mobil too. My tranny hasn't calved yet. Time will tell I guess.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Crazy,
Have you been able to find the Mobil out in Alberta or is that why you went with the Amsoil?? Or cause its cheaper too?

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
I think Barry at Destination Cycle in Airdrie either carries it or brought it in for Bryan Ward so I know it's there.
You could try him @ 403-948-6940 but he recommended the Amsoil over the Mobil anyway to me.

stu

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Stu, you are right . Barry brings in the Mobil for me and it is more expensive than Amsoil. I'm a firm believer that you should stick with whatever was in there the first time and that's what I do. Call me supersticious or whatever but it seems to work for me.

The Mobil is easy to get around here. I've asked around at a few places like Napa, and they say they can have it here the next day, from a warehouse in Edmonton.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Nesco recommends the Mobil 1 and no one that I know of has experienced a problem with it. "Better is the enemy of good" so unless someone can show me a real advantage over the factory recommendation, I'll stay with it.
I think it was the Zinks that first found the Mobil to be superior to the Hy-Guard and Nesco agreed. If you use something else now you do so at your own risk. The tranny problems have been far fewer since Nesco has built a stronger unit but never has the fluid been identified as the culprit...Joe

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
After not being able to get the right mobil oil here without great dificulty I looked at amsoil and the specs are the same and acording to reports better so that is what I run in the trany now. Took off a cooler line and ran oil through system till it looked right. Keep the res topped up.
Bill

·
Registered
329 Posts
The Mobile4XT is a very good ENGINE oil. That means to me that you can use any oil that meets the specifications of the COMPLETE datasheet. Since Mobile4XT is one of the best, there are not many alternatives, but Amsoil is certainly one. We dont get Mobile4XT here in Germany, so I am using Motorex (from Switzerland) which has a bit better specifications than Mobile4XT (i.e. sheering capcity and heat stability)
Peter

·
Registered
2001 SB; BHC-3 2001 BB; BHC-3 502
435 Posts
I’m going to have my oil changed that Saturday. We don’t get the Mobil 1 stuff here in Switzerland, so I’ll fill it with a Castrol Oil. I hope this is going to work fine.

I own one of the first sold 2-speed models. Therefore I also install the extra cooler behind the fan, like Mountain Boss Hoss does. I’m not sure yet if I should change the lines which run between the carburetor and the cylinder heads. Is there any recommendation out there?

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
Swiss V8 said:
I’m going to have my oil changed that Saturday. We don’t get the Mobil 1 stuff here in Switzerland, so I’ll fill it with a Castrol Oil. I hope this is going to work fine.

I own one of the first sold 2-speed models. Therefore I also install the extra cooler behind the fan, like Mountain Boss Hoss does. I’m not sure yet if I should change the lines which run between the carburetor and the cylinder heads. Is there any recommendation out there?
I would leave the lines there because they don't get in the way. I'm not sure if you have the cooler behind the radiator (and that is how Mountain started out) or under the bike (like Mountain does now). Behind the radiator will cause the engine to run about 10 to 15 degrees more than if you have it under the bike like all newer bikes have. Also I would not have the fluid run thro the radiator cooler because of the extra heat.

Adrian

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
Swiss V8 said:

The main thing to look at is "will the oil effect the clutch packs in a street bike". Some oils will so I would check with some Honda, Kawasaki or BMW place and make sure they run that type of oil in their bikes.

Adrian

·
Registered
2001 SB; BHC-3 2001 BB; BHC-3 502
435 Posts
I still have the lines running just into the side of the water cooler. I will change that to a oil-cooler behind the water cooler. I talked to the guys of Mountain about that and they said it's the best solution for me. :roll:

I saw the new cooler below the motor at the factory in October 04 but I do not have the small cooler. At Mountain they also said that sometimes they leave the small one below and just add the bigger one behind the water cooler.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I've experimented with several different trans. oil coolers and mounting a trans. oil cooler attached to and behind the radiator is the absolute worst place to mount one . By doing this you are doing two things . Number one you are heating you trans. fluid to what ever temp. your engine coolant is running and number two your trans. fluid is heating your radiator or engine temp. You can mount a heatsink type oil cooler anywhere you can find room even if it is not in direct air flow and it will cool better than a coil type mounted behind the radiator .

Jack

1 - 20 of 27 Posts