V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I had Bob's new Boss in this condition I decided to check the torque on the heads and see how far they were off. This is a 2005 with 0 miles on it. On the right side between 6 and 8 cylinder the torque was 30 lbs on the top bolt, 35 on the bottom and the rest of all the head bolts were 45 to 65 foot pounds. I had a hard time believing it was off so much so I torque them all to 67 lbs. I would check your bikes due to several having a problem that happens at the worst times possible.

Adrian

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
Head Torque

Adrian;

I'll set the "scene" first, I've never worked with American engines before.

Do you just follow the appropriate torque sequence in steps, or is there some kind of unique sealant to apply around some or all of the head bolts?

Probably a way dumb question, but I thought I had read somewhere the allow heads required something.

With your alls help, I'm really enjoying learning and wrenching on the Boss. It's good therapy for WAY too much time off since the Feds pulled my Flight Medical.

Thanks!
Ride Safe!
HAWK88
Jack Phillips

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jack

No, you need to just torque the bolts to 65 foot pounds in sequence as laid out by Chevrolet.
What you have read is a new, not assembled engine that has not been running.

Adrian

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
lot`s of problems with the right side being loose. I know mine were. How was the left side on Bob`s bike?

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bob's was much better on the left side but was still off by 5 to 15 pounds.
I don't recall ever checking a new engine like this and would have never done it if it were not for Tony, Joe R and yours all having a problem.

Adrian

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
That`s what I thought you would say.... Mine were about the same.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I checked the head bolts last week, after I've read this
topic. Mine were all ok, except a couple of the lower head
bolts (right and left side). 3 or 4 had to be (very little)
retightened - not really worth talking about, but I'm glad I
know the heads can't fall off...hehehe. :lol:
I torqued them to 70 ft.lb

Loaf

1 - 8 of 8 Posts