V8 Bike Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Tom,

What are you running for a front tire on your bike. Looks like a CCS rim, but what tire are you running ? :cop2:

Tim

·
Registered
616 Posts
Tim, I could have sworn Tom had the Michelin last time I saw him but I could be wrong. I have it on bike and trike and I DON'T like it. Got really ugly on the bike and seperated bad. Wearing bad on the trike also. I had to put on what I could get in Daytona which was back to the ol' Avon. So far, this one has worn great but it took very little weight to balance and wasn't out of round. That unto itself has been a real fluke for the Avon. My past experience was 90% of them had a problem.

My next try will be the Metzler ME880. Same as the Gold Wing guys run. With a Metzler on the back it will also be a better match.

Elliot

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Just put the Commander on the front of my bike today. I don't think I got 4000 miles out of that last Avon. It was out of round real bad. :( Next will be the Metz. They were out of stock when I bought my last tire so I just went back to the Mich.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Last I saw, Tom's running the Metzeler 880 on the front. The tread pattern matches up with the Metzeler 280 rear. I had some service done at Virginia Cycles not too long ago, they test drove mine after a front end rebuild :) and really liked the front and rear Metzelers. Pretty smooth, but Elliot blew his rear Metzeler 280. Mine is ok so far, the front is great, ran a Conti and Avon before.

Steve

·
Registered
616 Posts
Lamont, did you just now change to a new front tire :shock: ? Whoa dude, if so, you wrung some mileage out of that one. Remember Shady Valley?

Steve, you are probably right about Tom using the Metzler instead of the Michelin I thought he had on. He wouldn't risk the fashion police getting after him for having mismatching brands front and rear :wink: .

I think the tough luck I just experienced with the new 280 Metzler could have been my doing. I was running 32 lbs in a soft compound tire as a try to get better hook-up when thrashing Gary on the street. The tire calls for 42 lbs. Had bad seperation and lousy wear. Just mounted the new 280 tonight...with 42 lbs.

Elliot

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Elsboss said:
Lamont, did you just now change to a new front tire :shock: ? Whoa dude, if so, you wrung some mileage out of that one. Remember Shady Valley?

Elliot
Yep :oops: I guess it came down to ride or change the tire. It just seemed easier to ride but I was pretty much gone when I changed it. :roll:

·
Registered
616 Posts
Lamont, let me know as time rolls on how that Michelin works for you. I had always heard good things and the one on Jeanette's trike wore great. I don't know what happened on both bigblocks? You've gotta be glad. Now you can do 140 with no wobble, hee hee :wink: .

Noticed your temp this morning at 34. And here I thought 59 was cold. It's only going to warm to the low 70's today. Brrrr, I'm gonna have to put on a long sleeved T-shirt.

Elliot 8)

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Elsboss said:

Noticed your temp this morning at 34. And here I thought 59 was cold. It's only going to warm to the low 70's today. Brrrr, I'm gonna have to put on a long sleeved T-shirt.

Elliot 8)
You dog ;) Oh by the way you going to ride the twisties out there in FL? You know, freeway on ramps and off ramps :D

·
Registered
616 Posts
Oh does that hurt! Yep, you've got me there. Your neighborhood is the best riding in the entire country in my book. I believe that so much by the way, that Jeanette and I will be up in about 2 weeks to get together with a GC. Will be breaking ground next summer hopefully. The thoughts of Shady Valley cross my mind daily :D .

Elliot

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Elliot,

I was curious cause the front Marv put on mine is the Metzler....biased....
but it is a 130-70X18.....kinda low on the weight rating, but I know he's running them on his stuff.

I talked to a tire rep that calls on our shop, he says that the weight rating on MOST tires is very conservative.....as much as 50% to 100% on most brands due to the impact they need to withstand on pothholes, etc.....geez, anyone seen a pothole lately ?? :shock:

I guess I'm more concerned about speed rating than weight. My theory is that you can see sidewall deterioration if you check your tires before every ride....but separation in plies can sometimes be catastrophic and not noticable until it happens. :evil:

Thanks for the info.

Tim :beer3:

·
Registered
104 Posts
TOM BREEDLOVES FRONT TIRE

HI,
ELLIOTTS RIGHT, IM RUNNIG A METZLER ME SERIESON THE FRONT.
BIKE IS TORN DOWN NOW FOR SOME MAJOR PAINT AND SHEETMETAL MODS TO BE FINISHED BY 3RD WEEK IN JAN. MANY NEW SURPRISES WHEN THIS ONE COMES OUT. PAINT SHOULD BE MY SHOPS BEST EFFORT YET. WILL GET LAMONSTER TOPOST THE PICS WHEN READY. THE NEW COOLING SYSTEM WORKS HANDS DOWN ON THE 572. NO MOREHEATING PROBLEMS FOR ME, THANK GOD!!!

C YALL IN DAYTONA

TOM :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts