V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not to beat the subject to death. How far to you guys run your tires down before replacement? I've heard:
Til the cords show
Til they run out of air
Til they are too slick in the turns and I crash

Looking for something more realistic :D .
I've been watching all of the discussion on types and sizes with great interest but am still undecided on type/size/manufacturer. For my use, I'll probably just go with the OEM Avons front and rear as I've had good luck with them.
Conrad
PS If it were not for that #7 converter you guys made me install I wouldn't have to do this now. There must be some mysterious material used in the #7's that removes the tread from the tires. STRANGE!!!.

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
Tire Wear

Conrad;

Far from being an authority, I can share with you a front tire issue.

Last Fall, my Boss still had about 2 mm tread remaining in the most worn areas. The bike become rather sluggish handling within the next weeks commuting to work (80ish round trip) and I was surprised that the tire had gone nearly bald in the center!

I didn't expect the wear to increase that rapidly as it got to "inner" material in the tire. Still didn't impress me too much until I had a new Avon installed, and the bike's handling came alive again!

The Boss apparently responds more to front tire condition than my CBR1100XX or Kaw ZZR1200RR. New vs: worn front tire made almost as dramatic a handling difference as low profile auto vs: 230 rear tire.

I'll certainly change my front much sooner in the future!

Ride Safe!
HAWK88
Jack Phillips

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Conrad,

I've been getting 13,000 miles out of a set of tires, which is almost unheard of. I check the pressures weekly, keeping the front at 49 psi, and the back at 42 psi. It DOES help that the only time I do a
burnout(sitting still for 25 seconds) is the day before I plan to replace the tires. That's when I burn the rear tire into the cords. I have about 3,000 miles left on this 3rd set of tires. Keep up with those tire pressures.
Bill

·
Registered
481 Posts
Conrad,
For me I replace tires depending on the riding season. If I am in the middle of the riding season and my tread is 1/4 to 1/3 left, I change them, knowing that I could get caught out in the rain and I want the tread to vent the water and not slip or hydroplane. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

Dave in Columbus

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
That's funny, 'improves handling', on a Boss. That's like saying 'improves overall agility and handling' on an aircraft carrier. hehehe

My Boss handles great going straight ahead, most of the time.....my decision making on tracks and moves such as turning and stopping have stretched way out there similar to driving a truck vs car.
ps
I have 13k miles on mine too and won't change them yet. I've got tread left on the back and the front, but the front is starting to crack slightly in the grooves. soon....

·
Registered
526 Posts
Never had a rear make over 1200 and the front was changed at 4k to the Michelin which brakes better before locking up than the Avon.

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
I wore the 230 down where it looked like it was almost a slick. Replaced it then but wanted to see how much rubber was left so I drilled a hole with a 2" hole saw. It was still quite thick, Don't remember how thick but much more than I expected.
Adrian

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I got 18,000 KM out of the original Avon 230. I kept an eye on it to see how far it would go and I assumed that once the little dimples down the middle disappeared that would be pretty much the end of it. Then one day I saw a cord hanging out of the center even with some of the dimples left.
As it turned out I happened to be in a poker rally that day and they had the usual games at the end of it, including a stationary burn out contest, with the front tire up against the wall. First prize was a new tire of whatever the winner wanted. So I had nothing to loose, and of course the Boss Hoss put on a heck of a smoke show, and I won. So I got a new Avon 230 out of it, free. :D :D :D

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Conrad...I change my tires too often and don't wait till the tread disappears. It's a fact that 90% of all flats occur in the last 10% of tread.
No thanks! When the tread gets even close to the bottom...they are history. It's called peace of mind...Joe

·
Registered
838 Posts
zenbiker said:
Conrad...I change my tires too often and don't wait till the tread disappears. It's a fact that 90% of all flats occur in the last 10% of tread.
No thanks! When the tread gets even close to the bottom...they are history. It's called peace of mind...Joe
Joe - well said. That's how I do it, too. :biker3:

Loaf

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I do my tire changes in the winter . If I think my tires are anywhere close to wearing out during the riding season , I change them no matter how much tread is left . I try to keep my bike maintained so all I need to do in the summer is ride , change oil and wash .

Jack

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Incidentally . I was talking to a Avon tech person once and I asked him how far down you can safely wear the 230 tire , and he said " Until you see the tread wear indicators ." Apparently . if you look at your sidewall , spaced all around the sidewall in small letters you will see TWI . When the tire is made , it is layed up with a white thread spaced all around the circumference of the tire that goes accross the tire from side to side and you can wear the tire down until you see these white threads . When you see these white threads the tire is no longer safe and should be replaced . I've never worn a 230 down to this point , but this is what the guy told me .

Jack

1 - 15 of 15 Posts