V8 Bike Riders Forums banner

Which have you found to be the best front tire?

• Avon OEM Venom

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Michelin Commander 130/90-16 (Front)

• Michelin Commander 130/90-16 (Rear)

• Metzler

• Other

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading the past posts regarding front tires it appears that most have gone to the Michelin Commander over the Avon. All ya all (plural of you all) have never steered me wrong yet thus the following poll as I'm going with the majority:

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I have been running a Michelin Commander 140/90-16 rear tire mounted in reverse direction on my Boss for about 3500 miles so far and I think it is the best front tire I have ever had on my Boss . Rides nice , handles great , no cupping or vibration and only took 1/4 oz. of weight to balance it .

This tire is rated for more weight than the Michelin 130/90-16 front tire and is just a little wider . Fills up the front fender better I think and no clearance problems either .

Jack

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jack. Just ordered the 140 which I will mount in reverse direction when I receive it next week. Hopefully no clearance problems. I still have a few weeks tread on the 230 so I'll tackle the car tire/230 issue then. I'll probably go with the 230 as it corners better. My riding style is more in line with Joe's (especially around home :D if you know what I mean) and I know he tried the car tire and took it off. This web site is great as we all become guinea (hope I spelled that right) pigs (I know I spelled that right-no comments please) for each other.

Conrad

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jack,
What tire pressure did you find best for the 140? I always ran 49 in the 130.
Conrad

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I run 49 in the front and 39 in the rear . Easy to remember .

Jack

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Run 130/90/MT16 Avon in front and 230 Avon in rear. Use 45 lbs. in front and 40 lbs. in rear. Runs and handles great...Joe

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
140 Commander

Jack,
Just got the 140 Commander today and put it on after work. Only drove it about 20 miles and it seems to ride great with no clearance problems. Thus far I would recommend it to others. Thanks again. Also, while I had it apart I noticed the pads were getting thin so I grabbed a set of Drag Specialties pucks from a local custom shop here. I probably paid more than I could have gotten them through the internet but didn't want to remove the calipers again. Lazy or no patience...not sure which.
Conrad

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Guys, be careful with that rear tire on the front. I was told that the factory tried that setup and discovered that it worked beautifully in all conditions except during a hard rain. With the tire mounted in reverse the grooves are not turned in the correct direction to channel the water out from under the tire and is dangerous in that situation.

I personally have not tried it but the above situation makes since in my small mind.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Thanks Rick for that info. I did order the 140 and will put it on next week. I don't care to ride in the rain, but it's an unavoidable thing somedays, most days actually with my luck. I tend to keep it down to 60mph or less as a matter of habit in the rain. The worst thing for me is the motorists that pass and pull right in front of me spraying all that road slime on my windshield. People don't tend to give other motorists a second thought.

I've been thinking about a hand squeegee of some sort attached to the handlebars that I can grab and give the windshield a wipe every now and then. Maybe I'll start a new thread about that.
stu

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
My rear front tire got put on the same direction as the rear and I didn't notice it till I got home and the guy was closed for three days so I have been running it that way ever since. I really don't see any problem with that. I have been in very heavy rain and ran the twisties pretty hard without a problem. I did have a slow leak that caused some tire cupping but other than that it has been a good tire as long as you check your air. :roll:

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I've haven't riden the Michelin in the rain but I have riden the Avon venom mounted in reverse rotation in the rain with no problems . I don't
ride like a manic when the roads are wet , I just ***** foot around if you know what I mean .

Jack

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Ok I might be stupid here...(no comments from youse please), but why are the tires getting put on in reverse rotation on the front?

Are they meant for torque in one direction perhaps or is it the tread design?

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
My guess would be for the higher load rating of the rear tire....just a guess.

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
Tire rotation

Ricky and Stu;

I've read in some older threads that it has something to do with the structural way the tire plys and structural materials are laid up to accommodate load stress'.

If on the rear for engine torque, and if on the front for braking torque.

Don't remember if those threads were on this or the "Boss Hoss Country" site.

Ride Safe!
HAWK88
Jack Phillips

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jack (HogV8),
The one thing I noticed when mounting it in reverse direction as Jack (Hawk88) related in his post is that the tread design now moves out to in. My concern is that I recall most tread groves move in to out (from center) to move the water away from the center of the tire. Mine does the oposite now when mounted in reverse rotation. I'm not sure if it is a factor but caused me to wonder if when riding in the rain I've increased the likelihood of hydroplaning. I'm a fair weather rider anyway but occasionally get caught by a surprise thunderstorm.
Conrad
PS Too many "Jacks"

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
cstraube said:
Jack (HogV8),
The one thing I noticed when mounting it in reverse direction as Jack (Hawk88) related in his post is that the tread design now moves out to in. My concern is that I recall most tread groves move in to out (from center) to move the water away from the center of the tire. Mine does the oposite now when mounted in reverse rotation. I'm not sure if it is a factor but caused me to wonder if when riding in the rain I've increased the likelihood of hydroplaning. I'm a fair weather rider anyway but occasionally get caught by a surprise thunderstorm.
Conrad
PS Too many "Jacks"
That's another reason I left it the way it was. There is no real torque on the front tire but there will be water on it for sure. ;)

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Hawk 88 , { Jack } is correct , it is because of the way the tire is layed up . You may have a point about the rain grooves but I personally don't think it will be a problem if you take it easy in the rain as you should . Don't do what I do if your not comfortable with it .

Jack

1 - 17 of 17 Posts