V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this will get your attention real quick. I was backing the bike up into the garage without the reverse engaged, thankfully. I turned the handlebars sharp to the right and my throttle cable popped down below my gas cap and when I straighten it up it pulled the cable and revved the throttle to about 1200 rpms. I straightened it out but it still idles way too high so I will trace it out tomorrow and see if it is still being pulled on somewhere. I have my handle bar stops set just enough out to keep from hitting my instrument cluster. Looks like I may need to adjust the bar up a tiny bit.

I have seen this happen on another 502 at the rally year before last and it was almost ugly. Same thing with the guy backing up. He put the bike in first , straightened out the wheel and when he did it surged forward. I'm not certain if his cable did like mine but something caught the cable. He stopped about 2 feet from slamming into the side of a tractor trailer parked on the other side of the street.

I am loving this early spring like weather we're having right now. We are topping 70 everyday and are supposed to until Thrusday or so. I sure hope to log some miles on my days off Wednesday and Thursday. It's almost like being back in Daytona!

Chris :D

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Long post.

I thought I had this fixed until this past Tuesday night in Daytona!!!!!!! Guys, maybe I am the only one this could have possibly happened to but make sure your throttle cables are free and clear. It can get you hurt or worse yet killed if not careful.

My throttle cable was lower than it should be under the bars and got caught a while back as I posted above. I moved them up but apparantly not enough. Also, I had my bars set to stop just short of the instrument panel which brought the cable over and past my gas cap.

I was at the gas station and was backing the bike up and had the bars turned sharp to the right. When I put the bike in gear and pushed the bars straight I didn't notice the cable had dropped behind my gas cap AGAIN. I took off like a bullet right there in the parking lot. By the time I hit the kill switch I got it stopped about 30' away with my front wheel on the side walk. Left a black streak the whole way. Thank God my wife was not on it and I was hanging on. They were NO cars in the parkings spaces I ran through and no parking bumpers to jump. My angel was with me on this one. Very close call and it could have been ugly had I plowed into something or someone. Also lucky a cop didn't see it cause I doubt he'd have bought the stuck throttle cable.

I know of 2 other incidents of the throttle sticking and one almost cut the guy's leg off when he rode through the wall on a 502. The other almost creamed a tractor trailer parked on the opposite side of the street. It can happen.

It frayed the end of my cable so I bought a new one and Daytona BH put it on for me and we moved the bracket high up, adjusted my bar stop to keep the cable just short of my gas cap and this didn't affect my turning ability. They also routed the cable through the triple tree like the new bikes as the the cable was a smidge longer than my original one.

Chris

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.