V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably been asked before, but how's the mileage? On my trip last week I didn't travel much under 80mph and averaged 20-22 mpg. I was hoping for 30 with the fuel injection and maybe it will if I keep it at 60mph.

How about you??

03 SB with TBFI

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
I rode with a friend and his pals in AZ for one week during Bike week. One of the guys had a new Harley and he was a pain in the a$$ with his poking along at 55 to 60. Did see a lot of the country side, that I would usually fly by, but got 29.5 MPG. I was shocked but they will do it.

Adrian

·
Registered
750 Posts
385HP Fuel-Injected here, and I averaged 24MPG on the way to the Keys. Most of that was a fairly steady average of 80MPH.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Small Block 350, carb. I have had the primary jets leaned out, increased operating temperature (now thats a great idea for southern Texas don't you think), and even replaced the primary pulley on the tranny with the bigger one. If I stay out of the secondaries, I get 23 mpg - does not seem to matter about the speed, as long as I stay out of the secondaries.
Regards,
Bill Critter
Seabrook, Texas

·
Registered
287 Posts
I get about 24 mpg when cruising and staying off the secondaries. It didn't seem to change when I had the hot cam installed.

Alan '01 350/385

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
With the stock 502-trike, I had the q-jet leaned and it ran clean and
mean at 22 mpg highway, about 17 city.

Now I average about 13-15 mpg city and highway. :cry:

My old two wheeler with the ZZ4 and 383, was about 22-23 highway
with the two speed. But I run "Demon" carbs on both the 383 and

Geez

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I better check my speedometer then because I am getting around 25-26 on the freeway. 350/385

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
2002 350/385
25-27 highway, 10-12 around town in "first" but that's because I can't stay out of the secondaries! :twisted:

·
Registered
55 Posts
I am starting to get a complex with everyones mileage in the low to mid 20s. I'm with Gizmo an d Elvis...

2002 502 average of 18mpg
Excursion V10 averages 10mpg
Southwind 37' RV averages 5 mpg

The Boss is still at the top of this fleet

At $2.50 per gallon, I should have the Boss tow the RV
About Every 2 minutes of drive time, I consume 1 dollar of gas with the RV

TJ

·
Registered
613 Posts
Wife's 05 385 trike is getting around 22 hwy 18 around town. Two things I notice though. When I followed her on my Harley, She always ran fewer miles than me. I think that her odometer is off. The second thing that I noticed is that if she fills her tank full, gas comes out the overflow when she takes off, stops , and goes around corners. This happens for 10-15 miles. I saw this happen on another Boss bike at Bike Week. We try to not fill the tank too full, but that only give you about 7 gal.
Anyone else know of this problem and have a cure. These two things will affect the gas mileage!
I have not had mine long enoug to know if either of these things is a problem or my mileage.
Milo

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
The only cure I know of is to not top off the tank. Once the pump clicks off I pull the nozzle out about another inch or so and let it click off again. Never runs out. If you top it off it sure will. Some one else may have another solution but that's what I do.

Chris

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
When my bike was new last summer, If I recall correctly I got about 29.5 MPG, but that was an Imperial gallon, not a US Gallon. A US gallon is smaller. I haven't checked it since and I think it has gone down since then.

However, I just had my carb done by a local Rochester/Edelbrock expert here and I brought him the report that Carburetor Mike posted. He set it up exactly as per Mike's post, but with a couple changes for our high elevation here. I had the bike out for the first time last night and what a difference. Very crisp and responsive and it spins the 225 x 60 Car tire I just put on real easy. ( I had to take the 225 x 70 off, just not enough fender clearance). It will spin even without the secondaries :D .

The primaries are a lot leaner now and the mileage should improve. Once I get a nice day with some time I will check the mileage over a couple tanks and let you know.

( The 225 x 60 looks kinda small and the ground clearance is less. It's starting to look like the 235 x 60 will be the way to go.)

Bryan

1 - 20 of 33 Posts