V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed back to the Avon from a care tire today and it took several hours of frustration and cursing. Why...because I couldn't get the hubs back onto the wheel. The lug nuts wouldn't fit into the holes and reach the studs. After 1 1/2 hrs of struggling I did it. Went to put the wheel back on the bike...and lo and behold I had put the wrong hub on the wrong side.
What a jerk! In other words I set the wheel on the pulley hub backwards.
Hours of extra work because of my idiocy. My friend and I felt like Laurel and Hardy or the Keystone Cops.
Anyway. anyone want a 235/60/15 HR Michelin Pilot with 250 miles on it for $100? I'll pay shipping.
So much for my foray into the car tire thing....Joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,702 Posts
Joe,
Look at it this way..........you won't make that mistake again!!! :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
287 Posts
Joe,

I just finished my Pirelli installation and rode it about 10-15 miles tonight. I didn't notice much difference, except for a little more feel of the road grooves. I didn't notice much edging, but I only had 35 psi in the tire.

The only thing was that I replaced the Wildwood brake pads and had the calipers apart to make sure all four pucks were free to move. I introduced air in the lines and did not bleed them enough, I guess. Anyway, I didn't have much rear braking. I'll bleed them some more tomorrow. I saw a lot of black goo in the brake fluid. Will it hurt?

So far I like it, but 15 miles is not much up time.

Alan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alan....I'd take a good look at that caliper. When I had the bike apart for the winter we took it apart and two of the pucks weren't moving at all producing uneven wear and overheating. We forced the pucks out with air pressure. sanded off black sticky crap from the pucks and bores with 2000 grit sandpaper and didn't have to change the seals. Big improvement...Joe

Don... My experience with the car tire is "No way Jose'" It's all to each his own but after installing the Avon yesterday and taking it for a ride, I felt like I finally had my bike back.
How was your trip?....Joe
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
6,643 Posts
awilks said:
Joe,

I just finished my Pirelli installation and rode it about 10-15 miles tonight. I didn't notice much difference, except for a little more feel of the road grooves. I didn't notice much edging, but I only had 35 psi in the tire.

The only thing was that I replaced the Wildwood brake pads and had the calipers apart to make sure all four pucks were free to move. I introduced air in the lines and did not bleed them enough, I guess. Anyway, I didn't have much rear braking. I'll bleed them some more tomorrow. I saw a lot of black goo in the brake fluid. Will it hurt?

So far I like it, but 15 miles is not much up time.

Alan
Alan

I have had some problems with my rear brakes because of what I did. The first time I replaced the pads I forced the dirty fluid back into the master cylinder and in no time I was overhauling the M/C. You need to clean out the dirty fluid also make sure that all of the pucks are moving freely. I have taken several apart and so far never had to use new "O" rings. I clean them up until they look like I was going to show them.

To bleed the rear brake I find a wrench handle the same size of the rotor and put between the pads. Then raise the caliper up as high as I can and then bleed it.

Point always open the bleed valves when you get new pads and need to force the puck back into the caliper so the dirty fluid does not go into the M/C.

I'm not sure but I think the factory wants you to replace all the brake fluid every 12,000 or so miles. I know the reason for that is dot five is a silicone base and will not mix well with water causing other problems.

Adrian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
526 Posts
zenbiker said:
I changed back to the Avon from a care tire today and it took several hours of frustration and cursing. Why...because I couldn't get the hubs back onto the wheel. The lug nuts wouldn't fit into the holes and reach the studs. After 1 1/2 hrs of struggling I did it. Went to put the wheel back on the bike...and lo and behold I had put the wrong hub on the wrong side.
What a jerk! In other words I set the wheel on the pulley hub backwards.
Hours of extra work because of my idiocy. My friend and I felt like Laurel and Hardy or the Keystone Cops.
Anyway. anyone want a 235/60/15 HR Michelin Pilot with 250 miles on it for $100? I'll pay shipping.
So much for my foray into the car tire thing....Joe
Sorry the tire did not work for you but if you were to try the Pilot Sport it would work a lot better. The Pilot Sport is N/A in 15 or 16 inch wheels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dave...I don't ride like you do and am an old ****ty gynecologist but I know what I know and the Avon is MUCH better for my head and I have confidence when I ride it. No problem on road crowns or grooves and tracks true and straight...My opinion...Joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
526 Posts
zenbiker said:
Dave...I don't ride like you do and am an old ****ty gynecologist but I know what I know and the Avon is MUCH better for my head and I have confidence when I ride it. No problem on road crowns or grooves and tracks true and straight...My opinion...Joe

Fair enough--funny thing on how two people have such disparate opinions that ride the same type of motorcycle. Me on the other hand would not because of the same reasons you stated run the Avon. My riding style does have a lot to do with that and now that I am used to the peculiarities of the car tires but also with the confidence and huge performance gain they provide I would never go back to the MC tire IMHO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
526 Posts
awilks said:
Joe,

I just finished my Pirelli installation and rode it about 10-15 miles tonight. I didn't notice much difference, except for a little more feel of the road grooves. I didn't notice much edging, but I only had 35 psi in the tire.

The only thing was that I replaced the Wildwood brake pads and had the calipers apart to make sure all four pucks were free to move. I introduced air in the lines and did not bleed them enough, I guess. Anyway, I didn't have much rear braking. I'll bleed them some more tomorrow. I saw a lot of black goo in the brake fluid. Will it hurt?

So far I like it, but 15 miles is not much up time.

Alan


I have flushed my brakes 4 times in 3 years-each time the fluid that came out was not the nice pretty purple fluid you want it to be. Go ahead and flush the lines out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
287 Posts
Thanks, I'll try flushing. I may try to sand the pucks also if I can't get them working to my satisfaction.

Thanks a lot.

Alan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,679 Posts
Hi Joe (Zenbiker), I would like to have that 235 x 60 tire. However I think the freight to Canada would not make it feasible, but if you want to check it out my postal code here is T4C 1A2. If it's reasonable I'll take it off your hands and I'll pay the freight. Let me know.

Bryan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,836 Posts
Joe,

Wish I had a $1 for everytime I've done that in the past 59 years :lol:

One has to be able to see the humor in those things or life becomes a cage with no exit :roll: I sometimes think back about some of the "easy assembly" things I've put together over the years...only to realize that the LAST piece won't fit 'cause I put the first 2 pieces together backwards :lol:

Tim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
624 Posts
Alan,
Same problem here with my brakes. My pucks actually were sticking last fall. Actually got the disc to glow red untill I got off the highway, smelled brakes and saw the disc glowing. Took apart, Blew pucks out with air and polished with fine sandpaper.
Good now.
Glenn
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
287 Posts
I finally got my brakes bled, with the help of Boosted Brad's Chop Shop, a motorcycle repair shop here in Dyersburg. Prior to taking it to Brad's, I put DOT 3 fluid in. "Stupid Is What Stupid Does". Now I have a slight leak on the plunger side of the rear master cylinder. I will see if it can be rebuilt. Our brakes take DOT 5 fluid.

Alan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Alan...have rebuilt the rear master twice. Believe me you only need the rubbber cone and "O" ring and not a new plunger...Joe
PS. Make sure you orient the rubbber cone with the concavity facing forward.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
287 Posts
I have riden my Pirelli P600 now for about 250 miles and love it. It shows no sign of edging and only notice a little more wiggles in worn somewhat grooved pavement.

The only down side for me is that I can hardly get it to burnout. I had no trouble doing burnouts with the Avon, but this Pirelli is a little stickier. Perhaps it's because of the high speed "W" rating. It could be a softer and sticker compound. I guess it comes down to "show or go". Trouble is, I want both. Guess I need to trade the SB in for a BB.

By the way, the Pirelli looks great.

Alan
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top