V8 Bike Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever had a problen with their cable speedometer? Mine started acting up on the way down to Daytona. Talked with Levi and he said he suspected a bad drive so I ordered a new drive/race and a cable but today on the way to work it started again. It seems to be fairly accurate up to 50 or so but running around 70 it shows 100. I'm relying on my rpms to gauge my speed. It's a cheap replacement at $60 but was wondering if anybody had experienced this sort of thing and might have a quick fix for it.

I found this speedo and it is really cool but very pricey at $490. That is a whole lot of dough for a few bells and whistles!

http://www.cas4.com/Instruments-Dash/Sp ... eter01.htm

Digital Fat Bob Speedometer and Gauge Package
Using the latest digital circuitry, Custom exclusive design provides instantaneous readout on your bike's vital statistics. Two-color LCD display has pleasing back lighting for great day or night visibility and includes voltmeter, tachometer, digital speedometer, odometer and resettable trip meter. Tach reads from 0 to 8000 RPM registering on a bar graph around the outside of the gauge with bars going to red over 6000 RPM. Bar graph voltmeter registers 8-18 volts to monitor charging system health, with the indicator lighting red when the system is over 16-volts. The speedometer reads to 180 MPH, odometer to 199,999.9 miles, trip meter to 999.9 miles. In addition to regular functions, the digital circuitry has two memory functions to recall highest top speed and 0-60 elapsed time. Speedometers use cable drive with analog to digital conversion at the gauge. All models include reed switch automatic turn signal cancel circuit for installation on the latest models. Gauges require 12-volt systems. Rubber mounting grommets and anti-vibration dampener included, Made in USA.

Auto Calibration Universal Speedometer
Auto calibration feature allows use with 2:1, 1:1 and 2240:60 ratio drives.

Chris

·
Registered
624 Posts
Chris,
I had one speedo go bad (Drag Specialities - speed ok but odometer stopped working) and 2 speedo drives go bad. On my 98 I also had 2 speedo drives go bad. I do not have the Harley Pt # but I believe it goes to the Road King or Dresser. It is accurate on mileage and speed according to the GPS. Is your mileage correct even though it shows the wrong speed. I have this problem on a BMW LT.
Glenn

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glen,

The mileage and tripometer seem fine and the speedo appears accurate up till about 50 and then it jumps way up. With a new drive and cable I have to assume it is the speedo. My next delima will be what to do about the odometer reading. I wonder if I can swap them out without really messing up the face trying to get it off. What did you do in regards to your odometer reading. Make a note of the current mileage and you'll just add the new? This would be an issue when you go to sell it I guess. The NC DMV are sticklers on that stuff. I guess I could have a statement notarized concerning the mileage on the old odometer.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Ncbosshoss said:
Glen,

The mileage and tripometer seem fine and the speedo appears accurate up till about 50 and then it jumps way up. With a new drive and cable I have to assume it is the speedo. My next delima will be what to do about the odometer reading. I wonder if I can swap them out without really messing up the face trying to get it off. What did you do in regards to your odometer reading. Make a note of the current mileage and you'll just add the new? This would be an issue when you go to sell it I guess. The NC DMV are sticklers on that stuff. I guess I could have a statement notarized concerning the mileage on the old odometer.
Chris

Way back when ...

When I was younger and living in Maryland (also very strict on odometer readings) I replaced speedos in vehicles - the new odometer can be rolled to the current mileage by a speed shop. Then when vehicle was sold you can still check "ACTUAL MILEAGE". A "C" box checked will trash your resale value (NOT ACTUAL) ... Check with DMV in NC and a local speed shop because I am talking almost ancient history here!

BTW for what it's worth my bike's speedo and odometer both read -10% Most all my "other" bikes read higher then actual ... except for the Caponord and it is 100% dead on with GPS

·
Registered
624 Posts
Chris,
I replaced it at 23K and just made a note in my record book with all my "work done". I believe Debbie from Stamford also made a note in her book. If your bike is newer see if the factory that makes your speedometer will "repair". They can check and I believe may even set your new speedometer to your current readings if requested. BTW is the odometer correct on the highway over 50. On the BMW we have the speedo goes way off but the actual mileage on the odometer and tripmeters are correct.
Glenn

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, V-Man. I'll check into that. I don't want to screw around with that kind of stuff because it would scare me off if I was looking to buy.

Glen,

This just started happening last week so I have not checked the odometer but I know it is close. It showed 32 miles today after I got to work and that is about right from where I reset it. I looked at the current gauge I have and it seems I will have to do a bit of work to get the bezel off the face and I think might could swap out the odometer on the new to the old. I'll take the old one apart and see. It is a drag specialties speedo so I have no idea who makes it for them. I should call Monday.

Thanks. I may go ahead and buy a GPS and not worry about it. I'll figure something out.

Chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts