V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking for some time that a smaller alternator would allow more room to tighten the belt. I have not found any info on it here on the forum. Well today another BH guy told me that he has and is sending me information on a smaller, GM I believe, alternator. I am curious about whether it will be a one wire unit. obviously the bracketing will need to be modified. Has anyone here installed a smaller one and how about the wiring? Lincoln

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have been thinking for some time that a smaller alternator would allow more room to tighten the belt. I have not found any info on it here on the forum. Well today another BH guy told me that he has and is sending me information on a smaller, GM I believe, alternator. I am curious about whether it will be a one wire unit. obviously the bracketing will need to be modified. Has anyone here installed a smaller one and how about the wiring? Lincoln
Ppl
Any 12volt alternator should work if the wiring could be resolved

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ppl

Any 12volt alternator should work if the wiring could be resolved
latest research....ebay has a NEW 04 05 Passat 140 amp alt for $31.61 and free shipping. For the 3 wire setup you have 1)the existing heavy wire to the alternator stud 2)a new jumper from the stud to one of the small terminals and 3) a wire to the other small terminal from the fuse box. i will be looking at one of these hands on to see if i can determine which of the terminals are 2) and 3) and whether the Passat mounting points are closer together than the gm mounting points ie. smaller diameter than the gm one. more to come........ anyone think i am way out on this one? lincoln

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
latest research....ebay has a NEW 04 05 Passat 140 amp alt for $31.61 and free shipping. For the 3 wire setup you have 1)the existing heavy wire to the alternator stud 2)a new jumper from the stud to one of the small terminals and 3) a wire to the other small terminal from the fuse box. i will be looking at one of these hands on to see if i can determine which of the terminals are 2) and 3) and whether the Passat mounting points are closer together than the gm mounting points ie. smaller diameter than the gm one. more to come........ anyone think i am way out on this one? lincoln
and the passat alt has a serpentine pulley which i will try to replace with my gm v pulley

·
Registered
1 Posts
To gain ground clearance I got a Rareelectric Mini 8162 60amp 1 wire from Amazon. Many others are available with higher AMPS like from Summit.
Need to cut and mod bracket.
Used Gates XL7305 belt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts