V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you don't already have one, for a simple "kill switch" light setup do this. On trikes and bikes without fuel injection, the "check engine" LED on the dash is not used which makes it perfect for a kill switch light. The check engine light LED is the unused Gray wire from underneath the dash indicator panel.

You want to run a jumper wire from the #9 wire on the ignition control module on top of the distributor to the unused Gray wire under the dash panel. There are two wires coming from the distributor, (#9 black from kill switch) and (#34 black to tach). The #9 wire only becomes hot when it is switched hot from the kill switch.

See wiring diagrams and photos: http://www.v8bikeriders.com/forums/album.php?u=7511

Font Schematic Parallel Engineering Plan

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Ya, technically that's ok, but I'd put in a relay off the kill switch with NC contacts so the light was off under running conditions.

I do the old fashioned way, when the engine won't start, I reset my kill switch. However, you are new here and obviously interested so keep those new ideas coming. And whatever works for you on your bike is 100% ok with all of us.

stu

If you don't already have one, for a simple "kill switch" light setup do this. On trikes and bikes without fuel injection, the "check engine" LED on the dash is not used which makes it perfect for a kill switch light. The check engine light LED is the unused Gray wire from underneath the dash indicator panel.

You want to run a jumper wire from the #9 wire on the ignition control module on top of the distributor to the unused Gray wire under the dash panel. There are two wires coming from the distributor, (#9 black from kill switch) and (#34 black to tach). The #9 wire only becomes hot when it is switched hot from the kill switch.

See wiring diagrams and photos: http://www.v8bikeriders.com/forums/album.php?u=7511

View attachment 18027

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are right Stu, it is better to be running with the kill switch indicator light off. Guess I will be adding a relay. I was focusing on using the unused check engine light so people wouldn't need to add a new LED somewhere.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thanks for all the great photos and how to's in your album. They are going to be very helpful. And for what it is worth, your idea to use the engine check light for a kill switch light is very creative and pretty cool!

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Unless I missed something. I would think you would want the light on only when the switch is in the STOP position. When you switch it to the RUN position the light would go off. And of course the light would go off when you switch the key off.

Having said that I have managed to make it this far without a KILL SWITCH INDICATOR LIGHT.:biggrin:

Bryan

·
Registered
106 Posts
I don't know about you but after reading the feedback on this thread I can hardly wait to contribute some ideas. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
I'm diggin' Chuck's kill switch idea. It would be even MORE helpful to those that have that 'push button' style of kill switch on their handlebar setup. More of the newer bikes, I believe, have the rocker switch, which could indicate weather there is power down to your ignition and such.

The time it would be MOST valuable is if you are trying to troubleshoot a bike that won't start. If you have power through your kill switch to your LED... it should be on (lit up)... and when the bike is running, it's no biggie to see an LED lit up on the dash.

I'm one of those DOLTS that cannot understand why you'd want the LED to come on when you have the engine turned off with the kill switch. But we can certainly agree, my brain isn't much brighter than a single LED light. :wink:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Unless I missed something. I would think you would want the light on only when the switch is in the STOP position. When you switch it to the RUN position the light would go off. And of course the light would go off when you switch the key off.

Having said that I have managed to make it this far without a KILL SWITCH INDICATOR LIGHT.:biggrin:

Bryan
So Stu wants the kill switch LED to be "OFF" when the bike is running and Ric wants it to be "ON." Well I think I agree with Stu on this one - (sorry Ric), only because when I turn the key on, I want to see a red LED come on only if something is "wrong" which which in my way of thinking means the kill switch is off and going to cause me to crank and crank until I wise up and toggle the kill switch.

So here is a relay setup for the red light to go OFF as soon as the kill switch is turned ON (hot). Where it says 12V on terminal 30, it should say switched 12VDC not an always hot 12VDC.

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Triangle
CLICK IMAGE ABOVE

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
No worries Chuck, I always side with 'explained intelligence'. I AM, however, rather curious why an electrical guru like Stu (Similar to me.... LOL) would rather an "On" function, such as the LED related to an "Off" condition the Kill Switch. His trade back ground (and mine) generally, if not always- shows a 'light' to indicate an ON function. Maybe he took too many volts on the job.... :roflblack:

I truly understand that we all envision results that make the most sense to us. And I'm also guessing that if a poll were to be conducted , there would be a long line-up of those wanting.... the light to be on when the switch is off like Stu suggests.

But this begs a new question... If I'm the only one standing on the side of the poll that wants the light on when the switch is on..... Does ONE person, constitute a line-up? :mrgreen:

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
This is similar to the way I have my idiot light wired to my water pump . As long as the water pump has power , no light . If the water pump loses 12 volts for any reason the idiot light on my gage panel light up .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts