V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a shorter filter available for the small block than the Morosso 22300 ? I am not sure I'm going to be able to use the same filter after the Sanderson install. I only have about 1/2" clearance between the bottom of the filter and the top of the headers. How much room do I need to get the filter off? Is the 1/2" enough? Someone mentioned a P454..anything about this?....Joe

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Elvis...I don't think that's an issue. The oil has already been through some pretty hot places like the heads and combustion chamber! You can hold your hand 1/2" above the headers at that place easily but you can't touch the heads. I just don't know yet if I can get my filter off and on...Joe

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Joe,
I use a Delco PF 454. It's pretty short but you'd have to check. Also it's blue, which would look good on your bike. At your local Chev dealer.
stu

·
Registered
750 Posts
Joe,
I use a 454, and that's all I have used since they discontinued the PF25. I use the 454 in my Vette, and also the Boss. No problems here! I get mine at Auto Zone. It is about 1-1.5 inches shorter than the longer filters, but I feel as if the oil capacity is irrelevant, no more than that much difference.
Mike

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I use the bosch filter. I believe the number is 2304.... I`ll have to check. But it is the only short filter they make for the small block and it is plenty short enough. Besides... It is black. Auto zone carries them.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stu and Mike...I wonder if you could measure the length of the filters you use for me and post it....Would really appreciate it!...Joe

·
Registered
89 Posts
oil filter

joe i use fram PH 25 i have long pipes that end near my rear axel i have to drop the left one to change the filter.. i am in the auto parts bussiness and check the cross ref and match up the thread with the ID and can't find a shorter filter but there is a remote kit that bolts on your filter mount .but it looks like ***** good luck gizmo

·
Registered
750 Posts
Joe,
I need to pick a couple up anyway in a few days..as soon as I do, I will measure and let you know! (I would go out and measure the one on the Boss, but I have one of the chrome filter covers over it, and it is a long filter cover, so I can't tell the length of the filter itself).

·
Registered
76 Posts
BTW Mike, I bought a short chrome cover from Jeg's for $9.98....no more $20 Moroso 22300's every other month for me, thanks for the tip...

Ralphie

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didn't think I'd be able to get my filter off after installing the Sanderson headers because my heads are taller than stock (AFR heads) but was able to do so. I don't think I had more than 2mm to spare. the taller heads have produced a few difficulties but none insurmountable. thanks for all your help....Joe

1 - 11 of 11 Posts