V8 Bike Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was browsing through Canuck Barrys new web site and he has a couple of paragraphs on how to shift the 2 speed trans. It says low gear can actually be taken to 100 MPH+ , but must be brought back down to about 60 MPH to shift to high or overdrive . We all know that you shouldn't power shift from 1 st to 2nd , but I've never heard that you need to slow down to about 60 before shifting to 2nd or overdrive. Has anyone else ever heard this ? I've taken mine up to 100 + dozens of times , backed off the throttle and shifted but if this is harming the trans ., I'd like to know .

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Hey Jack,

In all of the discussions, I've never heard that. I talked to Marv at the Rally last summer about a lot of issues, including shifting when I percieved that trans problem with mine, and he said the same as the "official factory" notice, just don't leave the power loaded when you shift.

I usually push the lever and then off load the throttle for just a second. Seems to work good for me......

Tim

·
Registered
898 Posts
tranny

Never heard that either, I think that would be kinda crazy if ya had to do that. Ours have been working great just shifting at even power.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
You can only shift into "overdrive" no slower than 50, and no faster than 60?????? :? Doesn't sound right to me either. Maybe he means Vics' tranny. :wink: Guess we'll have to wait til Barry returns to find out where he got that from.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Shifting

There is absolutely no proscription from the factory about shifting at very high speeds but only a SLIGHT backoff on the throttle so that a heavy shock load is not present when shifting. I routinely shift from 1st to 2nd at 100 MPH but just don't do it at WOT. The concept is, simply, not to put a very high torque load on the tranny in overdrive. Absolutely no need to slow down to 60 MPH or any lower speed before shifting.
Joe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts