V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having a good time getting the hang of this photo posting and will not bore you all much more. These risers are perfect for those of us who are vertically challenged (I'm 5'8"). No more sore shoulders and much better control for me...Joe

·
Registered
838 Posts
Joe,
the risers are looking good. Could you post a second picture
showing the "top" of the risers? I would like to see how the mounting
holes of the clamp look like (to see if my Mountain BH clamp and tach
would fit).

Thanks,
Loaf

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Loaf
I hope Joe doesn't mind, but since I was "on-line" and I have the same risers, here's a picture of the top clamp, and a side shot. Joe's should be the same.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Boss Man said:
Loaf
I hope Joe doesn't mind, but since I was "on-line" and I have the same risers, here's a picture of the top clamp, and a side shot. Joe's should be the same.

Don,
I have been wanting to find a windshield like it looks like you may have (mounts to the risers and quick disconnect). Can you tell me what kind it is and where you got it? A pic from the front would be great too if you dont mind! Thanks, Ray

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, Jack...Many guys here say they noticed no difference in the riding characteristics between the old style and the inverted forks. My old style forks were so stiff that even 250-300 lb. men couldn't get them to compress at all while sitting on the bike. Whenever I'd hit a bump or even expansion joints, my teeth would get jarred.
I sat on a late model bike at Stamford Boss and couldn't believe the difference so I went to the late model inverted units. I enjoy the ride so much more now I can,t tell you.
I have to say that not all of the earlier forks were like mine. Adrian's, for example, were easily compressible and the factory admitted to me that some were fine and some were rigid.
The chroming is far superior on the newer front ends as well.
Don, Thanks for posting those pics....Joe

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Joe, welcome to the picture posting crowd.

I just want to know how you guys keep your bikes so SHINY AND CLEAN!!

Mine is a dirt magnet. hehe

·
Registered
838 Posts
Boss Man said:
Loaf

Arrrgnn...my tach wouldn't fit, cause my clamp doesn't have the straight
in a line mounting holes. My clamp has diagonal (offset) bolt holes. :cry:

Last weekend, after I kissed the pavement, I had to ride home with
my bent handlebar. I experienced a much more comfortable ride with the
(about two inches) "added pullback" on the right side of the handlebar.

Thanks for posting the pics,
Loaf

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
Forks and Bars

Joe and Loaf;

Thanks for the comparison Joe. I was fortunate my 97 came with inverted forks, but wanted a fresh comparison if I'm ever able to get a newer Boss. I think that will be a deliminator for sure.

Loaf, my Boss had "mini-Apes" on it when I bought it. The first change I made was to "Beach Bars" for the very reason you cited. I'm a short olde pharte (5' 10"ish and shrinking) and don't want to lean forward for anything while riding. They are much better for me, both comfort and handling, and maybe pull back risers like Joe's would help me even more.

Ride Safe!
HAWK88
Jack Phillips

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jack....about the cables. Don Blixt and I experienced the same thing. The riser kit comes from the factory with longer brake and throttle cables. Both of us found that the longer brake cable was needed but the throttle cable supplied was too long and we both used the stock length cable.
I have thanked Don many times for turning me on to this great upgrade for those of us that need it. MUCH more comfortable riding.....Joe

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Ray,
Hope this pic is good enough for you. I can take a closer shot if you want.
This was taken before I changed to the pullback risers, but it is still in the same place with the pullbacks.
The shield is a Windvest. It came with the riser mounted brackets. It's not really a quick disconnect but it can be removed pretty fast by removing the two screws on each side of the shield. Or you can remove two screws that hold the mounting crossbar to the riser clamps.
It's truly amazing how much this little shield can deflect a lot of wind blast from your chest! I'm sure others will attest to this!
I got it from Stamford Boss Hoss in Connecticut.
Let me know if you need a better pic.
:capwin:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks Don, that is good enough! I wanted the name mainly. I like the way it has no space for the headlight, just flat across the bottom. I need one like that so I can get rid of my sail!
Ray

·
Registered
287 Posts
I too have a small windshield made by National Cycle. I love it. It takes the pressure off my chest, yet gives me some breeze. It's not quite as warm in the winter, but I wear a mask, electric vest and electric gloves. Of course, my legs always stay warm thanks to the ZZ4.

Alan

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I can attest to the functioning of the small Windvest. I rode without a windshield since I was 17 years old after having tried large windshields many times. I just hated the lack of wind and the inevitable distortion. I even sold my full sized Boss windshield after ONE long ride. The Windvest does just what I want it to do. Breaks the chest pressure, allows me to smoke a cigar, allows just enough wind to still feel like I'm on a bike and lets me look over the top so no distortion is there. Also there isn't the "doody" look of a large shield. I love it...Joe

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Stu...I'm not sure how to explain "doody" Uncool, self-indulgent, add-on looking and just plain "Doody" Like if you added an umbrella to protect yourself or used duct tape instead of wire looms....Joe

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Oh...

I guess you don't watch the Red Green show. He'd be insulted I think, maybe even hurt.

I guess mine isn't doody then by your definition, but after 12 hours of wind, I'm damn glad to have it. Except for the layers of bugs.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Stu,
When traveling that is the morning ritual to clean off the bugs after the due has softened them up. I am with you on the winshield. Although the Windvest blocks alot I have done too many long days in the rain. I will stick with my billboard for now.
Glenn

1 - 20 of 26 Posts