V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished installing the Retrotek EFI system and it is fabulous - so far anyway. Ya got to be creative to fit it all in; I fab'd up some plates, welded to the battery tray for sensor brains, main box bolted to top of bell housing. With all that I was wondering if it would ever just start but it fired up and seems to be running very strong with none of the hesitation that my Holly had. I take a few pics and post later. Hopefully it will allow me to run it much leaner at typical cruise speed/MP and maybe a tad more power. It also looks real good which is always important.
Lance

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
lancen said:
I just finished installing the Retrotek EFI system and it is fabulous - so far anyway. Ya got to be creative to fit it all in; I fab'd up some plates, welded to the battery tray for sensor brains, main box bolted to top of bell housing. With all that I was wondering if it would ever just start but it fired up and seems to be running very strong with none of the hesitation that my Holly had. I take a few pics and post later. Hopefully it will allow me to run it much leaner at typical cruise speed/MP and maybe a tad more power. It also looks real good which is always important.
Lance
Love to see what you did, where you got it and all tips.

Adrian

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hopefully the EFI photos will download ok (???)

The body is nice chrome from billet; has 4 injectors, pressure controller, throttle pos. sensor

Here's the harness into the controller box mounted to bell housing

I moved the Bat. fwd, mounted fuel pump, MP sensor to side plate. Bat is fwd to all my 3.5 gallon rear aux tank.

Top view of bat and installations

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't believe it - my photos posted ok. I've got more if anyone wants to see them (now that I once again know how to post).

BTW: you'll note that I turned the battery hold down bracket around, added a rivnut in the back to bolt it down in the reversed position and welded an extension on the top to land the seat bumper pad.

With the added volume now behind, I managed to make an aux tank that holds a little over 3.5 gallons.

Lance

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Joe, just google it. It's right there.

Lance,
That's a cool setup. What is their take on tuning? Do they get your engine specs or something and set up a pre boxed map? Does that system use a map sensor and an 02 sensor? Does it control your distributor timing? What psi does your fuel need to run at?

I'm interested because I set up a custom Holley Commander system on my 434 and I needed lots of tuning done afterward.

stu

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, it has a MAP sensor and an O2 sensor... and of course RPM, timing, coolant temp, throttle position. I think fuel pressure is 45 psi. It also plugs to a laptop with a pretty neat tuning program. They provided a canned program for the Boss Hoss small block and suggested another program that is slightly more aggressive - available as a download on their web site. I haven't been able to drive it yet (building a whole new tank/fuel system again) but it revs really strong and doesn't stumble at all (like my Holley always did). Of course one can custom program - I think the approach is to go drive it for a few minutes, review the captured data and make adjustments where you wish to experiment. There are some 130 or so specific points of MP / RPM / fuel flow all of which can be adjusted. What I'm hoping for (and they think will happen) is a significantly reduced fuel flow at typical 60- 70 mph cruising conditions where the engine is really loafing. They predict, in general, considerably better economy and a little more power. From the stationary running that I've done so far, it seems to have a lot more spunk and so far, the pipes are not black inside as was the case with the Holley.
Lance

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Nice, keep us posted. Any idea which specific 02 sensor you use? When I put mine on, it crapped the computer for some reason so we dynoed it with a remote wide band sensor to calibrate the fuel system. I'm probably going to put one on again, but I'm curious as to which one you are using. I'm getting about 25 mpg on the highway and my engine guy said he really slapped some advance and leaned it out at light load cruising. I do not have a 350 though so that might be as good as it gets. 8)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Stu,
They didn't list the brand of the O2 sensor other than to say it is the best quality available and is a Wide Band Sensor; it plugs into a controller box that I've mounted on a plate that I welded onto the front of the battery box. They also mentioned that it never needs manual calibration.
Lance

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Very interesting. Usually the first time an 02 sensor is energized it needs to be calibrated for a baseline reading. Let me know how the system is working for you when you get up and going.

cheers
stu 8)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Lance
I have some questions about the retortek system. I have one and need the wiring diagram and software for my laptop. Please call, 7574162498

1 - 11 of 11 Posts