V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed a coolant leak at the right headgasket about a week ago and found the headbolts were all loose. Most of the bolts took a good 1/4 turn to get them to 70 ft lbs. Some took more! I am really suprised I didn`t lose a headgasket. My bike has 6000 miles so I figure there are a lot more out there with the same problem. Mine is not the first I have heard of with this happening. I know Tony Gilly lost a headgasket and so did one of the So. Florida boys. Gary I think. Both on the right side..
Anyway... Just a heads up. Summer is coming. :biker:

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
This is a must but does take time. It cost Tony a little over $1,000 on the road plus the time to get his fixed because no one said anything. I think Joe R had a problem with his leaking some time ago.

Adrian

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Yes, Adrian....I had a coolant leak into the right rear cylinder and, luckily didn''t bend a rod when I tried to start it. The engine wouldn't budge but the warning signs were there before for a few hours like white smoke out of the right side exhaust and eventual huge rise in temperature ( no coolant left). That particular head bolt was almost finger loose! Replaced the head gasket. I advise everyone to check them and torque them to 70 ft/lbs. Have not had a problem since, however...Joe

·
Registered
624 Posts
Tom,
Same here with that right side coolant leak. Leaked around 20k miles, torqued and have not had a problem since.
Glenn

1 - 4 of 4 Posts