V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, sorry about rehashing this over again, but with the searches on this site, I'm not quite sure about what size of a car tire and make to put on. Most of my riding is in the rain it seems as the clouds form over my head when I think about the bike. Also, I spend 99% of my time on the highway on tour. So I've read about the pros and cons but here's my question....

2003 bike. Stock rim.
What's the biggest tire I can put in there without modifying anything with the best speed rating and tread design?

I have had no problems with my Avon but it has 13k+ miles on it now and the indents are getting a bit thin. In the rain I settle into 60mph no matter what and haven't skipped a beat.

Not trying to redo the debate, just looking for that size and make.
thanks
stu

·
Registered
287 Posts
Stu,

I don't know about the '03, but I put a Pirelli P235/60WR-15 on my '01.

I like it real well. I can't notice much edging that others tell about. The only thing I notice is the slight wiggling when in traffic grooves in the highway. The "W" rating is a little softer, so you may have a little more trouble doing burnouts. My 385 just couldn't do it until I put on a 32T front pulley. Now, it's no problem.

The tire seems to get dirty on the sides, and I don't want to use a tire cleaner that basically paints it black, as it slings off. I definitely don't want that junk on my bike or wheels.

I hope this helps. I didn't have to cut the fender either.

Alan

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I get lots of rut running with the Avon too. I don't do burnouts because it won't with the stock setup. I suspect even if I could the novelty would wear off fast. I'm a highway dude in all weather conditions, even snow like last spring when I picked my bike up.

This size, 235/60/15 fits with no mods?

thanks
stu

·
Registered
287 Posts
No mods.

This is the first tire I've done by myself. I did have a tire shop mount and balance the tire, but other than that, all the work was done by myself and a fellow BH rider. The tire came from www.tirerack.com, for $140 or so. Still cheaper than the Avon and a lot cooler looking.

Alan

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I run a 235/70 and it fits with no mods. It's a great tire and shoots about a 20' rooster in the rain, ask Ricky about that. ;) Handles great and last forever even with a ton of burnouts. I'm sure it is not an approved tire but it works great for me. :wink: Oh yea, it cost 70 bucks mounted and balanced. 8)

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Lamont,
Here's another one. Given the speeds of 120mph, which is my limit, does the average garage have a good enough balancing machine or do we need to take it to a sportbike shop or someplace where they do faster or finer balancing?
stu

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Mine zeroed out pretty easy, I don't think that is a problem at all.

crazymf said:
Thanks Lamont,
Here's another one. Given the speeds of 120mph, which is my limit, does the average garage have a good enough balancing machine or do we need to take it to a sportbike shop or someplace where they do faster or finer balancing?
stu

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
Tire Balance

Stu;

Thanks to some previous threads, if the tire doesn't balance really well first shot, get them to break it, and turn it a bit until it does.

My Dunlap P245/50ZR15 has fewer weights than either of the 230's I've dealt with.

I can testify Lamonts tire works well, got to ride with him a bit @ Daytona.

I use a facility called "Tires Plus", and when they realized what the tire is for, they seem to take a bit of extra care with it.

Hope this is helpful.
Ride Safe!
HAWK88
Jack Phillips

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ordered one today Jack. I see it's an inch or so shorter than my Avon. That appeals to me because it'll gear the bike down slightly and give me a bit more feet on the ground for my shortass.

thanks for the input guys.
stu

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
Tire Ride

Stu;

Actually quite good. It's wider than Lamont's, and with the lower profile probably has more "edging" effect.

It's smooth as silk, and frankly in the rain my main limitation was visibility. I pushed on up to match traffic on the interstate in the rain, which I didn't dare do with a non-grooved Avon.

Not sure how the Avons decelerate on an auto trans in rain, but with my clutch bike, I had to be careful about not snapping the throttle off too quickly or it would slide in the rain.

Even with it's low profile, it accommodates bumps and "Craters" as well, or smoother than the Avon. Definitely be careful initially @ walking speeds and below until you get used to "edging". I stay away from sugar sand and loose dirt if I can avoid it as well.

I'm going to try Busa Dave's Nitto Drag radial when I get my Boss back fully functional, but long term expect to have the Dunlap, or a clone of Lamont's.

Ride Safe!
HAWK88
Jack Phillips

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks, it was a stretch from a Glide to the Boss so I'm sure I can handle it. I just hope I like it.
stu

·
Registered
121 Posts
I put the exact same tire that LeMont has ( in fact got from his shop) and I am really comfortable riding with it now... with the rounded profile, its much less edging than I expected... handles very well into the turns...

Mosa

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Jack,
I got my 245 50 Series Dunlop 8000 on today. It looks cool and rides great. I'm not sure what the guys don't like about car tires. Handlebars sway differently doing corners on pavement but the effect is easy to get used to. I initially put 35psi in mine. Most of the tread is on the ground. How much do you run?

stu

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Stu, that's a great looking tire. But because it's flat across, how well does it corner when it's wet? It seems like it would have very mimimal contact with the road, unlike a fat bike tire.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Ravinsomniac said:
Stu, that's a great looking tire. But because it's flat across, how well does it corner when it's wet? It seems like it would have very mimimal contact with the road, unlike a fat bike tire.
I just rode Deals Gap in the rain Monday and it did fine. You have more tire on the ground then most bike tires and it sheads the water much better than a bike tire, ask Ricky about that. ;)

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
Rear Tire

Stu;

That tire looks good on your Boss, actually a very nice Boss in general!

I was gradually reducing pressure 1 PSI @ a time, and settled on 33. Seemed to handle very well there, even in the rain. I've ridden LOTS of rain here in Florida, but nothing like your trip home.

Glad you like it, and hope it serves you well.

Ride Safe!
HAWK88
Jack Phillips

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Jack,
Black paint looks stunning, for 10 minutes after you wax it. Then it looks like general crap. I didn't have a choice on that because I bought it used.

Rubber on the ground? I checked my tracks turning into my parking lot with 2 of us on and there were 3 ribs of the 5 showing in the track. That was a slow speed very tight turn.

The tire sidewalls do get warm. Probably 105 degrees or so. Just warm to the touch. I'd gues that's normal for a radial. I'm going to go with 35 psi for a while because quite often the wife rides with me.

I rode it a bit more tonight. It handles in every single way better than my Avon. Grabs the ruts less and is smooooooooth at 120 mph. That's bad.

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
Tire vs Speedo Calibration

Stu;

If you have the electronic Autometer Speedo, theres a post on Wag's site (thanks Wag!) about how to recalibrate your speedo.

That tire is significantly smaller diameter (which helps my single speed with a 38 tooth Gates front pulley) and my speedo was off enough to warrant recalibrating.

Ride Safe!
HAWK88
Jack Phillips

1 - 20 of 31 Posts