V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering.......Has anyone tried any other type of rear shock absorber besides the Aldens? Also, anyone know what the rubber "stopper--bumper" or whatever that thing is on the top of the shock, inside the spring is for? Seems to me it must limit the travel of the shock. I'm wondering if it could be either removed or made not as thick.
My back is not the best, so I'm looking for a way to soften up the ride if possible. Just seems that the Aldens don't have very much travel, and, for me at least, give a pretty hard ride. I've tried adjusting the spring pre-load, but that doesn't seem to be the answer. That's why I'm wondering about another brand of shock. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Hey Don,

The rubber bumper is indeed meant to keep the internals from 'bottoming out'. I would suppose it could be thinned some though. I always thought it was pretty thick.

On the other hand I spent about 300 miles adjusting mine last summer and finally got them to the point that I only need to change the dampening rate going from solo to 2 up. I tried to adjust them based on the location of other Bosses, but found that it was way too soft or hard. Finally took Adrians advice and just adjusted a turn every time I rode it until I finally got it right at the rally in June. I'm stll adjusting the front to get the rate equal to eliminate any sense of porpoising (sp?) but I think that will require changing the fluid weight.

One thing I'd also try is talking to Alden and see what they suggest,. They are really great to talk to and know their product really well.

Tim

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Tim,
I also adjust them according to whether I'm one up or two, but they seem to bottom pretty easy when I have them set soft, and I just can't seem to find a "sweet" spot. I think it has to do with the limited amount of travel they have. And the **** roads we have around here are no help either!
I think I'll call Alden and see just how much travel these shocks really have and see if there is an alternative, or maybe another strength spring or something I can do. Anything! After a recent X-ray, it seems I have little disk space left in my lower back, and I'm sure the Boss isn't helping. Man, it sucks getting old (er)!! I suppose I could just ride my Goldwing, but then how would I do those wonderful burnouts??? I just have to find a solution. I'll keep at it. Thanks!! :)

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
Boss Man said:
Just wondering.......Has anyone tried any other type of rear shock absorber besides the Aldens? Also, anyone know what the rubber "stopper--bumper" or whatever that thing is on the top of the shock, inside the spring is for? Seems to me it must limit the travel of the shock. I'm wondering if it could be either removed or made not as thick.
My back is not the best, so I'm looking for a way to soften up the ride if possible. Just seems that the Aldens don't have very much travel, and, for me at least, give a pretty hard ride. I've tried adjusting the spring pre-load, but that doesn't seem to be the answer. That's why I'm wondering about another brand of shock. Thanks!
I tried every thing with in reason and if you do this below it will be as good as you can get it.

Adrian

http://webpages.charter.net/wag1/adriansshockadjustment.txt

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Adrian,
I've done that adjustment and was afraid that was as good as it gets. You know what they say...where there's a will there's a way. I have the will. Now if I can just find the way! Without spending my entire slush fund! Ha Ha!
Guess I have the Winter to experiment. Stay tuned!

·
Premium Member
7,038 Posts
Adrian....my back is really back too and can't take much for bumps...I am thinking of going to the 1" longer Aldens and set the springs softer...this will allow 1" more travel which will be greatly appreciated...other thoughts?

Barry

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Barry,
I was thinking the same thing, but I have to find out if that extra 1" is in travel, or if the total length is an inch longer with the same amount of travel. I'll try to give Alden a call today or tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
CanuckHoss said:
Adrian....my back is really back too and can't take much for bumps...I am thinking of going to the 1" longer Aldens and set the springs softer...this will allow 1" more travel which will be greatly appreciated...other thoughts?

Barry

I have used Aldan Shocks for years on my Street Rods and they are great to work with. The best part is they will repair, rebuild or replace the shocks for free for life. You have to pay the freight but that is cheep compared to new shocks.
I'm not sure that the 1" longer shocks will do a lot of good but maybe worth a try if the travel will be a full l". When the shock is at the top like I said you will have the best it will get. The 1" might just make it taller but do little for the ride or travel.

Adrian

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
When I bought my 2000 Boss new it had 11 coil springs on the rear shocks . I thought the bike looked like it sat too high so I replaced them with 9 coil springs. It lowered the bike 1" but I really couldn't see any differance in the ride . Of course I have only ridden Harleys both ridged and shocked for so long I probibly don't know what a good ride is .

Jack

·
Registered
596 Posts
Don, this is just a thought but if you look at www.progressivesuspension.com website they have some air shocks and may be able to give you some advice on whether or not they will work for us? If these are heavy enough the infinite adjustability of these might be just what we need.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just talked to Progressive, and they said they don't have anything for the Boss Hoss. Standard answer I suspect. I'm gonna call Alden now and do some brain picking. I also have an old shock from my Goldwing that I'll have to take a look at. Hey....ya never know!.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's the deal from Alden....
He said he would try a higher rated spring. The rating is determined by colored stripes on the top or bottom of the spring. The ratings are:
1 stripe/yellow=300 lbs
2 stripes/red and yellow= 350 lbs.
2 stripes/red and blue=400 lbs.
Depending on what the existing rate is, if I go to the next one up (unless it's the red/blue one) I should be able to reduce the preload all the way, have a softer ride, and stand less of a chance of bottoming out on bumps.
He also said the travel of the shock piston is 3 1/2". I'm not so sure about that. Maybe without the rubber bunper/stopper. I'll have to measure the distance between the top of the rod and the top of the rubber bumper inside the coil spring with the shock fully extended.
I also asked about that rubber bumper. He said yes, that's to keep the piston from bottoming out inside the shock when it's fully compressed. And that they could put in a shorter (less thick) rubber bumper if I wanted.
The shock "travel" is the same on the 13 1/2"
and the 14 1/2" shocks (3 1/2"). In order to get more "travel" I'd have to go to a 16" shock. (4 1/2" travel) That's out!!
So I will see if I can see any stripes on the springs I have, and go from there.
Oh yeah...I also e-mailed Progressive asking if they make a shock that could possibly be adapted to use on a Boss Hoss. I'll let you guys know if I get a reply.
On a quest for Truth, Justice, and a ride that won't leave me bent over at the end of the day! :? Sure wish I could have 20-30 years back!

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Don,

Good information. I'm gonna check mine this weekend and see what I have. Would be nice to have the preload all of the way down to start with.

Tim

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I received a reply from Progressive! There's a guy there who's working with me to see if any of the 420 series will work. I have to send him some pics and specs of the Aldens tomorrow. Can't hurt to try!
I'll keep you informed.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Just a note- while you all adjust your rear shocks- keep an eye to the pivots. I found mine both cracked. When I replaced them the right side cracked again after a while. Ok, this (second) time it happened because I tightened them to much. Don't tighten them more than 25-30 ftlbs. But I checked Andy's shock pivots of his 502 this summer while the european bike week, and they were both cracked, too....

Loaf

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I think that is the reason they break . People just tighten them too tight . Aldan does have a better quality replacement , but you still can't torque them more than 30 ft. lbs. and I don't think they even have to be that tight . With the nylock nut , they aren't going anywhere .

Jack

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just sent off an e-mail to the guy at Progressive. Gave him all the specs and pics of the Alden shock. He thinks a pair of their 420 series shocks might work. Looking at the specs of the different 420 series shocks, shock # 420-1033 is the only one that might work.
Its length is 14.2" travel is 3.55" and spring rating is 375 Lbs. I'll let you know what he thinks after he reads my e-mail. One thing is sure....they are expensive!! $450. EACH! Maybe I can talk him into letting me try them free for future BH sales! Fat chance!
THIS JUST IN! Got a reply from Progressive. The fellow I've been working with is leaving Progressive tomorrow. DAMN! But he has forwarded my info to Progressive's R&D dept. Hopefully, I'll hear from them.

Here's a pic of the single yellow stripe at the top of the spring. So my springs are rated at 300 Lbs with 9 coils. (Shock is 13 " mounting hole to mounting hole)
Also 2 pics of the shaft with the rubber "stopper." Alden told me travel was 3 1/2", which it would be if there was no stopper. Actually travel is only 2" as the stopper is 1 1/2" thick. He said the stopper will give a little when hit, but I doubt if it gives very much.
Next I'll call Alden back and see what they say about a 14" shock with a stronger spring and maybe a thinner stopper.

PS...Loaf...mine aren't cracked!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Does the Trike use the same shocks

Does the Trike use the same shocks ?

I have a Trike on order should be here mid-December and I also have a very bad back and would like to do anything possible
to avoid sharp jolts to it as that would only do more damage to it.

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
It never ceases to amaze me what different experiences we all have with the same components. My 2000 rear shocks are very compliant and almost never bottom out. The article in Cycle World also compained about the rear shock compliance. Reminds me of the difference between my front end when I had the early unit which was like it was one welded piece compared to Adrian's which was compliant as hell...go figure..Joe

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
Re: Does the Trike use the same shocks

DeuceRider said:
Does the Trike use the same shocks ?

I have a Trike on order should be here mid-December and I also have a very bad back and would like to do anything possible
to avoid sharp jolts to it as that would only do more damage to it.

Thanks

Mark
Completely differant shocks.

Adrian

1 - 20 of 70 Posts