V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may remember that I had my frame redone by the factory with a late model steering neck and an entire re-powdercoating of the frame. I was looking forward to the coating almost as much as the new front end because of the very poor coating on the old frame...flaking off on the insides of the frame rails, etc. washing my bike today I heard a cracking noise as I gently used a soft washing mitt on the front end. The powdercoat came off in big flakes from the right turn signal tab leaving bare metal and lifted edges. If I put my fingernail under the edge of the flaked off portion, it felt like I could have peeled off half the frame.
I once had my Harley frame powdercoated and the stuff was as strong as steel and never flaked or chipped.
Luckily I know how to refinish paint so I am doing it now in stages to make it look as perfect as possible.
Why oh why can't they get their act together even to the point of getting a quality powdercoat? ....Joe

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
I have been thro the factory,same as you, and I don't understand what is wrong with the Powder coat. It looks like they have it together but some times I wonder.

Adrian

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Adrian...Now that I know you are here...About the Sanderson headers...one more question. I have to use a small oil filter to get it off because of my taller heads and, therefore, higher pipe height and closer to the filter. I can tell Boyd to drop the collecter 1/2 inch if you think that will work....Joe

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Good powercoat is like a good paint job,

Prep,prep and more prep have a great deal to do with the final
finsh. I don't think the factory has their act together regarding the
prep issue.

Geez

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
Joe

I wouldn't lower the collector at all because it will cause you to lose ground clearance. Joe you will still need to use the smaller oil filter.
I am going over there tomorrow to check up on him so I will talk this over with him. You are saying that when you put the heads on it raised your exhaust pipe?

Adrian

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Adrian...The AFR heads are about 3/8" taller so the exhaust ports are also so the pipes angle up a tad....not even noticable. The only things I had to do were to relieve the bellhousing on the right a little because the pipe would touch it and go to the shorter oil filter on the left. I don't see a problem but am not sure...thanks..Joe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts