V8 Bike Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone with w Boss Hoss Trike pull a trailer behind you ? Have you had any problems that would make it unsafe ? I heard that Boss Hoss stopped putting hitches on the Trikes due to they thought they were unsafe so I thought I would ask you all to see what you thought. Thanks for any info.

·
Premium Member
7,038 Posts
Pulling a trailer behind a trike of any kind is way safer than pulling behind a 2 wheel bike.

I have pulled a trailer behind Goldwings and Electraglides for about 30,000 miles..never had a problem but ALWAYS drove defensively.

The biggest thing to remember when pulling a trailer is stopping distance is extended in emergency stops...

Because you are braking with 3 wheels it should not make a difference with any trailer that in total loaded weighs less than 400 lbs...and that is all motorcycle trailers...if you start pulling a pop-up meant for cars then a differnet story is forthcoming.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have pulled a trailer behind my Suzuki Intruder LC1500 with no problems and thats why I couldn't understand why Boss Hoss would say pulling a Trailer with a Trike wasn't safe. News to me. I'm looking for a Hitch for my Boss Hoss 32 Coupe so I can pull my trailer so if you know of anyone who has one that will fit my 32 let me know. Thanks for the reply.

·
Premium Member
7,038 Posts
I have pulled a trailer behind my Suzuki Intruder LC1500 with no problems and thats why I couldn't understand why Boss Hoss would say pulling a Trailer with a Trike wasn't safe. News to me. I'm looking for a Hitch for my Boss Hoss 32 Coupe so I can pull my trailer so if you know of anyone who has one that will fit my 32 let me know. Thanks for the reply.

In this case it is definitely a LIABILITY issue on the part of Boss Hoss as it is with all motorcycle maunfacturers.

They ALL say the the vehicle was not designed to pull a trailer..trike or bike

In fact...in Alberta if a Journeyman mechanic installs a hitch on a motorcycle and the motorcycle is in an accident...the Journeyman mechanic could loose his licence....so we DO NOT install hitches...we sell hitches and install the wiring only...sucks but it is what it is..

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
Anyone with w Boss Hoss Trike pull a trailer behind you ? Have you had any problems that would make it unsafe ? I heard that Boss Hoss stopped putting hitches on the Trikes due to they thought they were unsafe so I thought I would ask you all to see what you thought. Thanks for any info.

Dave has pulled a trailer all over the place 1000's of miles.

Adrian

·
Registered
104 Posts
i pull a motorcycle camper trailer with my 02 vette trike with no problem,at xmas time i pull a 6 foot by 10 foot trailer loaded with xmas lights and decoration for the xmas paradewith no problem.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Yep, as Adrian said....1,000's of miles, no problems. The trike doesn't even know it's back there. Sometimes I have to check the mirrors to make sure it hasn't fallen off a couple states back! :roflblack:

Our 2002 came with a hitch from the factory, but I think that was the last year. The story I heard was that somebody burned up a trike transmission while towing a full-size pop-up tent camper (not the smaller motorcycle tent campers) and that is why the factory stopped installing hitches and the mounts for them. Can't say for sure that was the reason, just what I had heard. Although I would not recommend pulling a trailer that big, I find it hard to believe that alone would burn up a GM TH350 trans in a trike any quicker than it would in a pickup with the same trans....whatever... :idunno:

Our American Legend trailer is rated at 600# GVW, but you could easily pull 1,000#.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I know this is old but only just found it. I asked the very same question and had no reply’s. Guess I should have done a search. Interesting reading. My trailer has hydraulic linked brakes.
works very well

1 - 8 of 8 Posts