V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
Hopefully this isn't tooooo stupid of a question but.... on my 03 SB the two outside spark plugs on both sides tuck up tight under the exhaust manifold. The regular 5/8 plug socket won't fit and it seems ridiculous to me that the exhaust manifold should have to be loosened or come off to change the plugs. I remember seeing a tool a few years back that would work perfect for this. It was a short socket and the tip of the plug went through and you used a wrench to spin it. Does this sound familiar? What do you guys use and how often do you change your plugs??

Cheers

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Doc...I use Bosch Platinum plugs and so do many others here. All the plugs used here work fine but if you go with the platinum items they are good for 100,000 miles and you'll never have to change them again unless you are Glenn Boglisch!.
Tim's right and it's a bit of a pain but not all that tough, just a little clumsy....Joe
PS. Are you a physician , Doc? I am.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Man , and I thought I had every socket known to man .

Jack

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bossman...thanks for the link. That tool is exactly what I'm looking for! I knew one of you gurus would have the answer!! I'm a little anal too. I like to put new plugs in after I winterize it and may switch to the Bosch plugs.
Zen, as for the Doc reference.... no, I am not a physician. My initials are MD so my nickname has always been Doc. I'm a service technician with IBM so I am a Doc of sorts....just the PC, ABM, RS6000, AS400, etc kind.
Another quick question..... sometimes when riding someone riding behind me hears a metallic sound coming from the Boss, like something metallic is loose. Needless to say.... I don't hear it! then when I put a load on it(gassin it) they say it goes away. I figure it might be the torque converter(stock) making some sort of noise. I've found that the Boss "talks" more than most bikes and it runs great so I'm not worrying about it too much. Has anyone had this comment made about their Boss from an accompanying rider??

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Doc....Make sure the belt guard isn't lightly contacting the belt. Will make all kinds of noise at speed. Put the bike on a lift and rotate the rear wheel to check. Pay particular attention to the lower belt guard. The Boss shouldn't make the noise to which you are referring if all is OK. I had to do some creative bending of that piece and moving of the guard in the mounting slots to get the bike quiet.
The upper belt guard may also be contacting the frame in the front of it and I had to cement a piece of rubber onto the frame to stop the upper guard from contacting the frame. Before I did this I would hear a metallic clank over sharp bumps but now is quiet.....Joe

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Joe,
Thanks for the suggestions. I have thought about it being the top guard since the metal is fairly flexible and moves about a bit but I hadn't thought about the bottom guard so I'll have a look. Joe, are you one of the guys that lives in the New England area???

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
An ungrooved avon will sing. You don`t hear it but people behind you do.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok.. I took the Boss out last night after adjusting the lower guard a bit. See... I normally wear a fullface Shoei with foam earplugs so last night I hit the highway without them and I could hear some sort of metallic noise but real hard to pinpoint. First it seems like I can only hear it about 100-110kph and it seems to be from the front end if anything.....maybe the front Avon is singing. Or wind at that speed is vibrating something. I think I will take the belt guards off and take another ride and see.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Howdy Everyone,
Only thing I can think of for a front tire mettalic sound might be related to your tire air stem cap. Maybe it is a little long or getting loose and rubbing or hitting the bottom of your brake housing. I had that happen and shortly thereafter there was a periodic bump in the front wheel. The stem cap had loosened up. So much for air stem caps for me. The next time I replace the front wheel I am going to see if I can get a shorter stem or reduce the length of that one.
I had some mettalic noises coming from the rear wheel like when you go over a rr track. Turned out to be my stock license plate rattling and or my belt guard rattling. All tightened up and modified now so for now I think I have my mettalic sounds removed.
Good luck on locating and fixing yours.
Regards,
Bill "Critter" Crittenden

1 - 14 of 14 Posts