V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
When I had the original Nascar pipes on (both exiting the right) I sraped them hard on my very first ride because I was not used to the limited lean angle of the Boss. After several other episodes I put on a set of sidepipes (exit both sides) which never scrape before the footpegs. At least the scrape marks on the pegs are underneath and can't be seen and no more hot exhaust on the right leg while stopped.
I do, however, like the look of the Nascars better. Sound is about the same...Joe

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have side pipes, don't think it could have been the pegs, I would have felt it in my foot. I could hear it off my left and in the rear. In fact, I scraped it once, came off the throttle and started to go more upright and the bike was headed toward the outside so I had to counter steer more and get back on it a bit and they scraped again.

Mike

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Miike...just a suggestion. Use the slotted mounting tab on the rear of the pipes to make sure the pipes are in as close to the centerline as possible. It seems as though you're lowering the pipes when you do this but are actually increasing the lean angle a bit before touchdown.
The pegs on my 2000 are fixed and maybe yours are a bit higher but my pegs always hit first...strange. This was so even when I ran my rear shock adjustment all the way down....Joe

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
zenbiker said:
Miike...just a suggestion. Use the slotted mounting tab on the rear of the pipes to make sure the pipes are in as close to the centerline as possible. It seems as though you're lowering the pipes when you do this but are actually increasing the lean angle a bit before touchdown.
The pegs on my 2000 are fixed and maybe yours are a bit higher but my pegs always hit first...strange. This was so even when I ran my rear shock adjustment all the way down....Joe
Will check, thanks

Mike

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Just keep on scraping those pipes...they'll wear down to a point where they don't scrape anymore and you will be able to enjoy the sound of your pegs scraping.

Personally, I kind of like that sound/feel.

Bill

·
Registered
63 Posts
Pipes Sound Like Crap

:twisted: LaMonsters comment about the kickstand dragging reminds me of the way I used to get folks to back off my tail on my choppers back in the day. I was yound, nimble and somewhat dumb, but I at night especially, I would reach back with my left foot and lower the kickstand enough for it to scrap on the road and put on a spark show for the tail gater. Worked alot, until I had to get a new kickstand. I have not done this in many years. I think I will probably not do it again, but you can never tell for sure. :twisted:
Regards,
Bill Critter
Seabrook, Texas

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Hey Crazy Rick,

Could you tell us what you did to"raise the ride at the rear shocks"? I still haven't done anything with mine yet. I put on a 225 x 70 Michelin car tire and lost some fender clearance and consequently it bottoms out. I need to make a change soon and I want to look at all the options.

Bryan

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
Rear Fender Clearance

Bryan;

With my Dunlap SP Sport 8000 in P245/50 ZR15, I have enough fender clearance to use a ratchet to install and remove the fender. Didn't have to trim the fender either.

Granted, with your shoulders, the edging would be less of an issue for me, as the 245 is a bit wider! Being old and small sucks sometimes!

Ride Safe!

HAWK88
JAck Phillips

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
Dunlap

Alan;

Yep, she sets quite a bit lower. However, being somewhat Vertically Challanged (sawed off little ****) it's an asset to me.

Thats the only one I have ever tried so cain't offer more, other than I rode a short amount with LaMont @ Daytona, and his setup seems wonderful

Ride Safe!

HAWK88
Jack Phillips

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Tim...I tried to match the Avon to the care tire by only giong 5mm wider with the same aspect ratio but the fender had to be cut and the bike sits lower allowing the pipes to bash much more easily than with the Avon 230.
Different strokes...Joe

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Tom...Who knows why? Maybe the fender on the late models is different than my 2000. Even after relieving the fender the tire "brushes" the fender on the left with the 235/60/15 Michelin. DON"T LIKE IT! Don't like anything about it other than the great look and VERY easy wheelspin. I ride hard on the highways and the car tire (at least the one I chose) doesn't cut it.
Back to a grooved Avon....Joe

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.