V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bill Taylor talked about the pingle with a reserve in the thread about the 2007 Boss Hoss. I went ahead and got a pingle with a reserve, the one listed in Boss Hoss Help - thanks again for all the info WAG. It works great, only problem is that the reserve starts at 1/4 on the tank gauge. So now I am riding along on the interstate zoned out with 1/2 a tank and then next thing you know the engine stops. It does not sputter or slow down, she stops dead. I look at the fuel gauge and see that I have a solid 1/4 tank left. So I open the reserve, put her in neutral, and start her back up and head on down the road knowing that I am close to empty. Is this what you want a reserve to do? Maybe, but something seems wrong here. Angle of the tank does effect the level of the reserve. I had to jack mine up a little due to a new distributor cap hot coil setup. Now I have the 2.5 gallon reserve. I run the main until I run out of gas, switch to the aux. tank until I run out of gas, and then go back to the main for the reserve and look for a station. I am still figuring all of this out, but knowing you are low is better than sitting on the side of the road. As usual, I am open to suggestions.

Other thing I learned is to flush out fuel hoses before you replace your old ones with them. I plugged up my carb. with the insides to the new rubber fuel hoses. Little rubber pieces ?????? Go figure. I had to take my carb off and clean it out. It was really messed up. Well it is good to learn, right.
Regards,
Bill "Critter" Crittenden

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Critter , you could correct that situation with a little work . All reserve petcocks have a tube that extends up into the tank and the length of that tube regulates how much reserve fuel you have left in the tank . When your petcock lever is turned to the normal run setting the gas runs down thru this tube and into the fuel line . When the petcock lever is on the reserve setting , the gas runs thru an opening at the base of this tube into the fuel line . All you have to do is remove the sediment screen and reduce the length of the tube and solder the sediment screen back on. Like I said , a little work but it can be done . Also , I learned a long time ago , always blow air thru any hose or steel line before installing it . Bugs and spiders love those little hide aways .

Jack

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Fuel management is a must for any biker and a reserve is a bandaid at best. I mean, there's nothing wrong with using a reserve if that's what you're used to, but your car doesn't have one. Why bother with a reserve when you have a gauge?

I can run mine out to 150 miles in all conditions minimum. Then if I'm running fat with gas, I'll run longer. I've been to 175 so far at the most and still had a gallon or so left when I filled.

I go by mainly the mileage and a comfort zone, but that's just me.

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
Reserve

Stu;

Older Boss's (mine) don't have a fuel gauge. It does have the new electronic AutoMeter Speedo, which goes "Blonde" about every other time I turn the key off and dump both the trip meter and odometer mileage.

I have both a reserve tank, and a pingle with reserve (thanks Jack). My Boss is worse than either of my crotch rockets about using LOTS more fuel when I'm playing, and that's as often as I think I can get away with it! I like's my bandaids!

Ride Safe!
HAWK88
Jack Phillips

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Critter,

First check to see if your gauge is anywhere close to accurate. On my '03 when I hit reserve I have about 1.5 gallon in the tank......right where it should be. I have used it 3 times and always the same. Icheck my gauge vs fuel put in most times I fill...........alway seems to be very close.

I would say the gauge is acting up close to the bottom of the sender tube or it's just off. The tubes on the Pingle is equal length as far as I'v ever seen. They don't vary petcock to petcock.

Just an idea.

Tim

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
Fuel Gage Testing

Stu;

There is a thread on Wag's site (thanks Wag!) about how to test your Fuel Gage.

http://webpages.charter.net/wag1/
==============================================
It's titled "Testing your Fuel Gage". Not very detailed, but you being an electron chaser might get some use from it.

Ride Safe!
HAWK88
Jack Phillips

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the heads up and suggestions. I will put these suggestions on the To Do list. Lots of too dos, and not long before my Aug 18 departure for Denver and the Iron Butt. My goal is to not change anything on the bike, except for necessary requirements, after Aug 3, 2005. I have now replaced all the electric accessories on the bike except the fan, and I believe it is starting to act up, so I know what I am going to be doing this weekend. I will keep you all posted.
Regards,
Bill Critter :twisted:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts