V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Use a black fan! Why draw attention to it? I would love the whole radiator/ fan assembly to go away if I could and really don't understand the chrome "look at me" thing about the fan....Joe
PS. Just a matter of taste, I guess.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Lamont:

From what I know, BH has the fan's plastic chromed or whatever they
call it, from a company in Daytona Beach Fla. I spoke to the owner
a few year ago about some special units for my trike. Can't remember
their name but I do know they were $$$$$$$$.

Geezer

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
zenbiker said:
Use a black fan! Why draw attention to it? I would love the whole radiator/ fan assembly to go away if I could and really don't understand the chrome "look at me" thing about the fan....Joe
PS. Just a matter of taste, I guess.
To me a black fan stands out a lot worst than a chrome fan. :roll:

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I had my chrome fan replaced by the BH factory free because of chrome peeling and it was 4 years old at the time . I didn't understand at the time why they replaced it free but now I see if Spal is reimbursing them. I know when they said free , I didn't ask any questions .

The new chrome fan they sent me is of better quality and hasn't peeled in 2 years .

Jack

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
LaMonsterV8 said:
Just found this out.

Warranty:
Chrome on SPAL fans is guaranteed not to flake or peal for as long as you own the fans!
http://www.streetrodstuff.com/Products/256/
I followed up on this because my fan is peeling badly as well. I called Rick Manone at Toronto Boss Hoss and discussed it. He called me back and said to remove the fan and send it to the factory and the factory will send me a new one for free. I will likely have to pay the freight.

I am not sure how far back in model years they will go, but they are looking after my 2004 bike. I know you must be the original owner of the bike to qualify. :D

Bryan

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I got a new one a couple of years ago for my 2000 under warranty.

Jack

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
LaMonsterV8 said:
Just found this out.

Warranty:
Chrome on SPAL fans is guaranteed not to flake or peal for as long as you own the fans!
http://www.streetrodstuff.com/Products/256/
"Chrome plated SPAL fans have a limited lifetime guaranteed not to flake or peal."

What is "limited lifetime" exactly :? ... I see the wording they are using as being a way out to deny replacement in circumstances they choose.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
When I had mine replaced at no charge , Levi was still there and maybe that's how I got away with it . I don't know ?

Jack

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
HogV8 said:
When I had mine replaced at no charge , Levi was still there and maybe that's how I got away with it . I don't know ?

Jack
I really miss Levi. :cry: Life was good when I could call Levi and place orders for my parts. Now I have to call a dealer and hope he gets the order placed and he orders the right part. :roll:

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Steve Hanson, Wag & I had an interesting discussion the other night over a few beers (imagine that) about how laws and restrictions are generally created, passed and enforced by the vocal minority.......the factory is no different....these new policies are someones idea....obviously not the consumers.....(the majority)..........and unless you vocallize it to the factory it will not change.....I guess if they felt their sales were going into the crapper due to poor costomer relations, they might consider a policy revamp??? Without the consumer, there is no Boss Hoss....and in such a small, tight knit "community" there should be a considerable amount of leverage available....after all, there aren't millions of these around, nor are there millions of potential buyers :)

JMHO....Tim

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
GRUMPY said:
Steve Hanson, Wag & I had an interesting discussion the other night over a few beers (imagine that) about how laws and restrictions are generally created, passed and enforced by the vocal minority.......the factory is no different....these new policies are someones idea....obviously not the consumers.....(the majority)..........and unless you vocallize it to the factory it will not change.....I guess if they felt their sales were going into the crapper due to poor costomer relations, they might consider a policy revamp??? Without the consumer, there is no Boss Hoss....and in such a small, tight knit "community" there should be a considerable amount of leverage available....after all, there aren't millions of these around, nor are there millions of potential buyers :)

JMHO....Tim
That sound like a good idea Tim but, how do you put pressure on the factory without hurting the dealers. I spoke to some of the dealers that came to Dyersburg and they are getting a much rougher deal with the changes that the factory are making than we are, and they don't like it either. Without the dealers, I don't think the factory would exists.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Interesting.....the dealers don't like it, the consumer doesn't like....who likes does like it ???? And what the hell are the benefits of the new guidelines anyway.......if the factory had a dealer network similar to Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, etc, etc, etc....we wouldn't be discussing this point, as you would all have a dealer within realistic commute time..... I guess it wouldn't take a lot of thought to develop a system for parts ordering for individuals who are more that X number of miles from a dealership. I wouldn't fall into it, I have a dealer 60 miles from the house.
If an individual lives more than 75 miles (arbitrary figure) from an established dealer, that person can order factory direct (and pay retail price) for his/her parts.......Microsoft Streets or any other good mapping program takes about 45 seconds to determine the distance.....

The new dealer in California (Only using them as an example) should not expect to reap the profits for parts sales on every BH owner in the State of Califronia....hell, he wasn't even in business when most bought there bikes.....and IF a person drives 200 miles to purchase a scoot at his/her dealership...they should be damned happy they did....but don't expect them to make a 400 mile round trip for a $45 part........plus double shipping and longer wait time......I do have to say that if I didn't have Marv close as a dealer.....and I had to drive 250 miles one way everytime I needed dealer type repairs or service accomplished....I would sell this thing in a heartbeat.....

Someone in this group....or one of the new "suits" at the factory......... should be able to develop this program in under 8 hours.......or hire a consultant who has no personal interest to get it going......if they don't, they're going to see more of the current owners unloading their BH toys due to unhappy dealings.......this is a very unique community......economics is not a driving factor of ownership.....it's passion for the product....but even a super model can lose sex appeal :wink:

Tim

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
Tim

You don't know how bad it is with the dealer network we have had. When I bought my first Boss Hoss the selling dealer was 2000 miles away, but the closet was 1600 miles away. It has been a bitch here in California but now that we have a dealer 450 miles away (in the middle of L A) I will Tell you that is not much better. The next dealer is 700 miles away so we still have a tough time with the the cost of freight and getting the parts wrong. I can buy a mirror bracket for $9.95 local or get the same one for $21.00 from one of the Dealers.
I want to buy a new set of forks (01 or later front end) but my best bet is to get it from Mountain Boss, plus some freight, and the factory is here in California. Go figure.

Adrian

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Then maybe we need to develop a real, grass roots Boss Hoss Owners Group.....

And Carb Mike I'm not knocking the BHRA.......but there are a lot of 'polictical' issues when an owners group is funded/controlled by the factory......and guys, don't fool yourself, someone from BH is monitoring all of these site that are public......they know how to use a computer :lol:

My attitude about customer service isn't about BH....I've been very fortunate, I have a bike that must have been built on a Tuesday, never had an issue worth talking about on it....and I have never had a negative issue with the factory......and I have great dealer within an hours drive....
but like I said, I'd sell it in a heartbeat if I had to drive 250 miles each way when I needed something.....or ordered apart and paid double shipping on it......I just have been raised since childhood and have understood as a self employed individual most of my life, that the individual who purchases the service, part, product or item.....is the real driver in the food chain. BH only builds a product so long as people buy them....and they can't rely on a purchaser always being a first timer....it takes repeat customers to keep the market alive and well.........we're the best marketing force they have.......I hope they know that .....without the current owners, they don't have the resources economically to do enough advertising to sell 300+ bikes annually.......that's the reality of a small business.

Tim

1 - 20 of 26 Posts