V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my first run with a hayabusa Tues. from rolling start 20 mph. That's a FAST machine, he took me of the line and I could not close until we got to 80 mph and up. We need a tranny that will hook up..... Can anyone modify a Borg Warner T56 6 speed to fit the Boss Hoss? Or a 4 speed Chevy 350 turbohydramatic?

Sorry folks, embarrassed in NC.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Yea but it's not a Chevy. ;) It would be nice to be able use all our power but I don't think that is going to happen anytime soon. :roll: I like my Boss as much doing 50 mph as I do 100 mph+. I know I'm not the fastest bike in town, but I bet I'm one of the top 10 coolest. 8)

·
Registered
526 Posts
zenbiker said:
Don't mess with the "bullet bikes" The Boss is NOT the fastest thing out there. The Busas whip us every time. Who knows what a real three speed tranny would do but don't hold your breath..Joe

You want to avoid the Busa as it was designed in a wind tunnel and that is why it can make the top speed that it does when it has a little less hp than the ZX12(the BH is like pushing a brick thru the air). My Busa was modified and would eat a stock BH up and spit it out at any speed. Even the stock Busa with a good rider would make short work of a BH but if you mod the BH so it will hook up then it becomes a different story!!

Been there done that one. :wink:

·
Registered
526 Posts
Re: What if...

Patrick from Oregon said:
Thank the Busa for the rolling start, from a standing start, you wouldn't have seen him till the next gas stop. :wink:
How many Busa's have you raced or owned? Just curious? From a dead stop the BH is at it's greatest weakness. For those of you who think the big V8 in stock form will do in the sportbikes--Monty has tried it and I have seen the film ----not very pretty and the BH was 2 up.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Hey Guys,

Been a while since I've logged on but this one is near and dear to me heart. Without the chopper as John from NY had to have it :cry: . Still deciding what the next V8 incarnation will be :?: but in the meantime...two new '05 Busa's in the garage :cop2: . One going to NC.

Was out the other night riding with some badass V8's and a bud on his new GSXR 1000. That's slightly faster than the 'Busa with it's lighter weight and higher HP. The only V8 bike that was a challenge was Gary with his nitrous blower motor :shock: . He blew us away every time but unless you've got something extremely formidable, the 'Busa, ZX12R, ZX11, R1, GSXR 1000 and a few other liter bikes will smoke you...out of the hole, rolling, or top end. Steve, don't feel bad. Only a good nitrous shot and at speed will allow you to be in front in that race.

Ed, Joe, Lamont, et al have the right idea. Stick with looking cool and knowing you've got a badass V8 under your a$$ that gets all the attention rather than who's fastest. That's the one race Japan can't win :capwin: .

Elliot 8)

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Was out today and riding with two bullet bikes in front of me. I can never tell one from the other. At a stoplight they took off fast as I did and got into the secondaries at about 30 mph. I was staying with them and then a right turn in the road at 90 mph. I had to back off or die. They are not only super fast but can handle. don't think for a minute that your 1200-1500 lb bike can stay with them....Joe

·
Registered
235 Posts
And for those who have the Coen or #7 converters, the running start at 20mph might get a bit exciting as we need to control our throttle or we'll lay the rubber for some good distance and the sport boys will certainly be gone. It's like putting a Stock car against an Indy racer..
Think the "cool" idea rocks..
Jim

·
Registered
526 Posts
Elsboss said:
Hey Guys,

Been a while since I've logged on but this one is near and dear to me heart. Without the chopper as John from NY had to have it :cry: . Still deciding what the next V8 incarnation will be :?: but in the meantime...two new '05 Busa's in the garage :cop2: . One going to NC.

Was out the other night riding with some badass V8's and a bud on his new GSXR 1000. That's slightly faster than the 'Busa with it's lighter weight and higher HP. The only V8 bike that was a challenge was Gary with his nitrous blower motor :shock: . He blew us away every time but unless you've got something extremely formidable, the 'Busa, ZX12R, ZX11, R1, GSXR 1000 and a few other liter bikes will smoke you...out of the hole, rolling, or top end. Steve, don't feel bad. Only a good nitrous shot and at speed will allow you to be in front in that race.

Ed, Joe, Lamont, et al have the right idea. Stick with looking cool and knowing you've got a badass V8 under your a$$ that gets all the attention rather than who's fastest. That's the one race Japan can't win :capwin: .

Elliot 8)
Very well put--If you see a turbo hanging off the side of a Busa stay Away! It will not matter at that point what you have as you won't hook up and will get spanked hard. Dis you get to ride the 1000?? I am thinking about 1 but the riding position is not pretty for me.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hey BD, do you still have a busa in the garage since you went to the "Flying Brick"? Just curious. I had a ' 99 but sold it to get a Boss. I really liked the mighty busa but would always get a sore neck from the riding position. I read in Motor cyclist that the ' 05 GSX 1000 has an even more "sporty" riding position than last year. I love my Boss but still have a little empty spot in my heart since I sold the busa :wink:
George

·
Registered
526 Posts
misfit said:
Hey BD, do you still have a busa in the garage since you went to the "Flying Brick"? Just curious. I had a ' 99 but sold it to get a Boss. I really liked the mighty busa but would always get a sore neck from the riding position. I read in Motor cyclist that the ' 05 GSX 1000 has an even more "sporty" riding position than last year. I love my Boss but still have a little empty spot in my heart since I sold the busa :wink:
George

I have to say that I made a very poor decision when I look back on it because the BH spends a lot of time in the shop. Some of it my choosing but a lot of it not. I would love to have kept the Busa but at the time it seemed like the right choice to make :( . I have been kicking around getting another and putting a turbo among other things on it. If you like to go fast it is really hard to beat and it is almost bullet proof!

There is no free lunch as they say and the Busa unless you are going about 75 does not give any support to the upper body and neck because it slips thru the air so easy. Looking back on it probably it’s the one bike, I would love to have "back"!

All of that said---after the modifications and they are quite extensive the BH it is the most fun from a straight line perspective and the sound of that engine gives me wood and the acceleration is without peer(certian speeds and conditions) now that it will hook up and not just spin the tire!!!!!
:lol:

·
Registered
38 Posts

Hey Busa Dave, perhaps you missunderstood my post, the Busa was doing the V8 a favor by giving it the rolling start. The Busa (or my ZX10) launches good! The V8s do not. Busa gave the V8 an edge by allowing the rolling start.
I think it's agreed that any of the top sportbikes will beat a V8 in every performance catagory, not to mention braking and handling.
I still love my V8, and I'm gonna keep it, but there are some very excellent motorcycles out there not made in America.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Re: Reply

Patrick from Oregon said:
Hey Busa Dave, perhaps you missunderstood my post, the Busa was doing the V8 a favor by giving it the rolling start. The Busa (or my ZX10) launches good! The V8s do not. Busa gave the V8 an edge by allowing the rolling start.
I think it's agreed that any of the top sportbikes will beat a V8 in every performance catagory, not to mention braking and handling.
I still love my V8, and I'm gonna keep it, but there are some very excellent motorcycles out there not made in America.

I love my BH very much or I would not have sunk the kind of money in that I have! :biker3: I also love the sportbikes but the older I get the less I want to drag a knee anymore-----plus the sound of that big V8 thumping just give me wood :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Re: Reply

I love my BH very much or I would not have sunk the kind of money in that I have! :biker3: I also love the sportbikes but the older I get the less I want to drag a knee anymore-----plus the sound of that big V8 thumping just give me wood :D[/quote]

So THAT's how to 'reply with quote', got it.
I'm in the same boat with you, it's hard to walk past the Kannon and still get on the Ten. I've got a 1" handlebar lift on the ZX10, and it's a nice semi-upright position, but when I look at the two for a quick errand into town, I'm always getting on the V8, It's just funner to start and ride away on.

I may be headed to the top of the line BMW sport-touring bikes. I'm afraid to test-ride the new 160hp K bike, just like a 2005 Boss Hoss, I might REALLY like it in the place of my sportbike.

:D

·
Registered
616 Posts
Boy am I liable to get a bloody nose posting Jap $hit on a V8 site but...

Busa Dave, you're 100% with your turbo comments on the 'Busa. Definitely THE fastest thing out there, short of the pro guys at the track. I've rode with one guy and got to ride his and it scared the snot out of me. Fastest bike I've EVER been on at all speeds. Almost a bolt-on application for the 'Busa, reasonably priced (relative to what's spent on the V8 bikes) and without any equal. Can't tell you, ok I can, how great it was putting 700 extremely hard clicks on the 'Busa's meter without having to fear any problems. That's new territory for me.

Partick, I looked at and rode the K1200S. Excellent looking ride but with the ABS and suspension, $20k out the door. I can buy 2 'Busa's for that (and actually did) and in spite of the BMW dealer's claims of being a "Busa Beater"...it ain't. Not even close. Nice suspension and seating, don't like the ABS on that type of bike, and great for the badge conscious BMW affectiandos who must have the name. No more comfortable than the 'Busa IMHO and twice the price? Nahhhh.

I rode with a bud 2 weeks ago who bought the new GSXR 1000. I didn't care for the seating (rock hard), sat too high, and the shorter wheelbase with that hp will get you launched (or looped if not careful) with improper throttle/clutch management. It is a beast with slightly more hp than the GSX1300R and less weight but not enough to be discernable. The comfort and longer wheelbase of the 'Busa made it my clear choice. I'm sure the super great canyon carvers would strongly prefer the 1000's agility as compared to the 'Busa but personally, my abilities don't exceed what the 'Busa can hand out.

To all my V8 brethren...sorry for the Jap crap. I still love V8's boys and will have another before long. Best regards,

Elliot (formerly Elsboss, hee hee)

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Elliott-

Elliott- Got just what you need. A 2001 small block, nice with fresh carb work. Trade for 'older' mountain place in NC. Even throw in a case of favorite beverage.

When are you in the mountains next?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.