V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What should the oil pressure gauge read at idle in gear on a stock 502?

I noticed my guage reads very low under the above conditions. It shows a tad lass than 50 psi at about 2000 RPMs. I made sure it was full of oil. Is this right?

Chris :?:

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
John,

I think I have a shot gauge maybe. I thought I saw it spike today when I started the bike. I noticed at a light later that it was reading about 10 psi at idle in gear. Scared the crap out of me. When I rev it up or cruise along at 60 or so I'm near 50psi. Full of oil and I guess if the oil pump is pumping at 60mph it is pumping at idle, too. I'm thinking a bad gauge.

Chris

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
Chris

I was reading the factory manual and it says that you should run 20W50 oil. I use 10W30
but I am going to change this spring to the 20W50. I know that many years ago Chevrolet
had a problem with the lifters going flat, at continuous high speeds, in the big blocks so they
recommend 20W50 racing oil from Pennzoil.
I would change the oil and see what it is showing plus speed the engine to 750 to 800 in gear.

Adrian

·
Registered
616 Posts
Adrian, I've personally swung both ways on this one but...after reading all the research that Neil did on this subject, it became clear the 10W-30 was the ONLY recommendation I saw for the Chevy crate motors.

I run it in both bigblocks including use at the track and in some blistering temps with no problem. When I over-rev the lifters go flat with 10W-30, 20W-50 or racing 50weight.

The articles focused on the passages being specifically designed for a lighter viscosity oil than 50W.

There's probably other stuff on the net that would refute that suggestion but it sure sounded like reasonable science to me. :?:

Elliot

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.