V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting close to oil change time for the crankcase. Is there any particular viscosity that everyone uses for the ZZ4 and is synthetic recomended. I don't really know what is in it now. It also has a chrome oil filter that I am wondering where to find and a part number for it? Thanks in advance for any input. Boyd

·
Registered
750 Posts
Boyd,
In both my present Boss and the '97 I used to have, I use Mobil 1 15W50. Fully synthetic, and it is rated among the best oils on the market, and I figure if GM recommends only Mobil 1 in the new Vettes, it has to be good :wink: I have always changed mine every 3000 miles, along with a tranny fluid change every 3000 miles at the same time. I am sure that you will get many opinions on this subject, who is to say what is correct? :) By the way...GORGEOUS Boss in your pic there!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Nice Bike Boyd,

Everyone will have their reasons for which oil they prefer, here in Arizona I run plain old 10W30 and change every 3000 miles.

The short chrome oil filters are Moroso P/N 22300. You will only find these at a speed shop or on line from Summit or Jeg's. All said and done they're about $20.00 a piece including S&H.

Ralphie

·
Registered
750 Posts
Boyd,
On the filters, I run the AC 454, with a chrome cover that attaches with a set screw. This way, the filter costs about $3.50, and the cover is used forever.

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
Not that it makes any difference but Chevrolet recommends 10W30. Don't recommend any brand but Pennzoil is good.

Adrian

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
I should double check my data I guess. My local Chev dealer says they recommend 5/30 and I've been using Delco oil and filter every 3000 miles too. I get about 25 lbs at idle and 52 lb at any higher revs.

Does it really matter when oil changes are that regular??

I'd really like to hear a sb guru talk about that one.

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
crazymf said:
I should double check my data I guess. My local Chev dealer says they recommend 5/30 and I've been using Delco oil and filter every 3000 miles too. I get about 25 lbs at idle and 52 lb at any higher revs.

Does it really matter when oil changes are that regular??

I'd really like to hear a sb guru talk about that one.
I know that most of the North Star engines need the oil at 5W30 and was told that with 32 Valves all Roller lifters needs the lower weight for them. In the ZZ4 engine the book calls for 10W30 at all weather temps. I have used 10W40 a couple of times but wasn't necessary.
I like to change oil every 3000 miles or sooner but have gone 5000 with no trouble. If the oil is clean and not low at 3000 I go a little further sometimes unless we are taking off on a trip.
These engines will last a long time with no more of a strain than we put on them.

Adrian

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
After reading this thread I checked my manual. It says both small block and big block to use 20/50 Castrol. Myself, I think that indicates that you're only supposed to ride this bike in sunny 85 degree weather so you don't need the thermostat they didn't put in either.

Hell, at this point, with everybody using everything and no engine failures on a rampant basis, I'm not sure it really matters what oil or weight you put in.

I'm not going to worry too much about this.

However, anybody have much experience with synthetics? My wifes 2005 Glide manual specifies oil changes at 8000 km (5000) and we're using the Harley synthetic in it.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Crazy,

Been using Mobil 1 and/or Castrol synthetics since they came out.....Always used Mobil 1 in the EVO motors and I run 15W50 Mobil 1 on the Boss.........change every 5000 miles unless it gets contaminated by fuel or something odd.

Never use a 1/2 quart a season on the Boss and none on the HD (she rides a bit easier :lol: )

Tim

·
Registered
68 Posts
Mobil 1 15-50w is a full synthetic and is as good an oil as any made, and will work great in either the small block or big block.It is used by the military in many applications,even some aviation uses.
It's the only oil I use in my pickup,ultra classic, and ZZ4 boss.
Oil change intervals vary by opinion, but me myself, I change mine at 3000 miles.
By the way, the Harley full synthetic that is sold by the harley shops at $8.00 plus per quart, IS mobil 1 repackaged and sold under a license agreement with HD's name on the bottle.

Allen Dean
Austin,Tx

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Well, thanks again. I'll switch over next change. I see the local Canadian Tire has Mobil1 15/50 in a 4.4 quart jug for about 33.50 and M4XT for 13/liter for the trans.

1 stop shopping, works for me...

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
This debate goes on and on and on. Since I know of no one who has had an oil related failure, I have to assume that they all work well. This is a Chevy engine and I go with the viscosity Chevy recommends which is 10W-30W and I use either Mobil 1 or Royal Purple.
I really believe that 3000 mile intervals with synthetic oil is total overkill when car manufacturers are going with 10,000 mile intervals with the synthetics. I, still, however, change at 3000 miles just because but if I pass that mark on a long trip I never bother to change until I get back which may be 5000 or more miles. Never have used a drop between changes. Synthetics just don't break down like petroleum based oils so why not use them. It's a myth that they are more slippery leading to silly concepts like the rollers on the tappets don't turn and get flat spots...Joe

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Well, I use some oil with the 5/30 when I do those 6000rpm fly bys. My past experience with sb's is that that is a normal thing.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the responses on the oil viscosity. It is apparant that any quality oil in different viscosities will perform well in the ZZ4. I have used the Mobil One synthetic in my Valkyrie with good results. I will use a synthetic oil for sure and may have to flip a coin on viscosity and brand. After reading all the posts from very knowledgeable people, these should lead me to a good choice. Now for the next question, is there a preference on the long or short oil filter? I would assume the long filter would perfom better filtration?

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
That's funny, very knowledgable people, that excludes me I guess. Anyway, the funny part is we all use different everything. So.....

go ahead and put whatever in your bike because someone will agree with it.hehe

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Boyd:

Regarding the filter, try to find one with an "anti-drain valve". Basicially
this means the filter will retain the oil and not drain back into the pan.

Helps with quick oil pressure on start up, and keeps the bearings happy.

I strictly use the "WIX" brand of filter with the "anti drain back valve" on my 502. About twice the price of the non valve filter. But gives me comfort.

Geezer

·
Registered
838 Posts
Geezer said:
Boyd:
I strictly use the "WIX" brand of filter with the "anti drain back valve" on my 502.
Geezer
Hehehehe....Geez, that's a funny brand name. "WIX" means in german
language "Wank". :lol:

Loaf

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Just in case anyone was wondering , Moroso chrome filter 70-22300 has the anti-drainback valve .

Jack

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
Filter

Boyd;

Beautiful Boss!

I use the WIX (WANK! Olaf, your too much!) oil filter with antidrain back valve. Got the number from Wag's help site.

It is rather a short filter and I found a longer reusable chrome cover like Mike. That has enough room in the bottom to put a small strong magnet inside to hopefully help hold metal bits out of the system.

On other vehicles I have bundle tied magnets to the outside of the filter. Not sure it helps, but makes me feel better.

Ride Safe!
HAWK88
Jack Phillips

1 - 20 of 34 Posts