V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my 2000 smallblock on the road after having the trans rebuilt and installing the #7 converter. The trans worked fine before, but I wanted all of the latest and greatest upgrades :D . I had a 32 tooth trans sprocket on it and could light up the Avon MC tire at will at speeds under 35mph. Now with a 34 tooth trans sprocket the #7 converter and a Conti extreme contact car tire it's about the same as far as breaking the tire loose. I was expesting more seat of the pants performance, but with the bigger trans sprocket and sticky tire this is probably about right :roll: ?
Also I noticed when I was putting the new #7 converter on that the brass bushing just inside of the converter had some where on it. Does nesco use used converters? Any thoughts anyone?
Thanks,
George Williamson

·
Registered
12 Posts
# 7 Converter

I just put a #7 in after my 3rd tranmission repair in the last year!! I was told by a very reliable source that Nesco test runs all of his converters before selling them, that could explain the marks FYI

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
I'm not sure about the used but one I did on my 2000 some time ago sure looked like it was used.
We talked to a dealer this last week and he said that for the last 2 months of the 05 bikes, the tranny's have been up graded to have a new Heavy Duty converter plus they have the new heavy duty planetary gears, the ones that have been failing. I was getting ready to install a new Coin in Bob's bike which will show up this week and besides loosing the warranty the new converter is suppose to be great.

Adrian

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
It is my understanding that most converters are rebuilt factory(GM) units
that are modified internally.

I believe the "Coan" unit ( the $600 one ) is completely built by Coan.

Geez

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
misfit said:
I had a 32 tooth trans sprocket on it and could light up the Avon MC tire at will at speeds under 35mph. Now with a 34 tooth trans sprocket the #7 converter and a Conti extreme contact car tire it's about the same as far as breaking the tire loose. I was expesting more seat of the pants performance, but with the bigger trans sprocket and sticky tire this is probably about right :roll: ?
Thanks,
George Williamson
George

Just curious why you went up on the front sprocket ... I have a 34 on mine and plan to swap for 32 in the near future. Since you have had both on the bike can you tell me how much difference in RPM you see at cruising speeds? BTW my reason for going down is to gain the additional torque ...

Don

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was talking to Marv at chopper city last year and he said that the new Boss's come with a 34 tooth and that with the 34 tooth sprocket and the #7 you can run it up to 120 mph in first gear. I liked this idea because it gives me a little more playing room in first gear(because I never play in overdrive). It does'nt seem quite as responsive off the line with the 34 tooth and i think I gained about 10 mph overall at the same rpm as the 32 tooth. Don you should notice a considerable differance off the line with the 32 tooth and you still have overdrive for cruising. I may go back th the 32 tooth but will put some more miles on before I decide for sure. No I dont have nitros yet :wink: . I hear you Joe, the coan will probably be my next big mod in a yaer or so. The new back tire is really grabbing too...maybe a little too much for me as I like a little smoke now and then :D
George

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
misfit said:
Don you should notice a considerable differance off the line with the 32 tooth and you still have overdrive for cruising. I may go back th the 32 tooth but will put some more miles on before I decide for sure. George
George

That's what I understand. I was told that changing to the 32 tooth is like changing from stock converter to high stall converter. The converter made a BIG difference so I'm really looking forward to the sproket swap.

Don

·
Registered
861 Posts
Does the 32 tooth spocket come standard with the 2000 zz4? If it does not, then I will change mine out to a 32 tooth cause it will be much easier for now to gain that additional torque rather than install my #7 Nesco at this time.
I figure if I will go to the bother of installing the #7 then I might as well have Stamford Bh pull the trans and send it back for all the upgrades but so far the tranny seems to be running good as I really dont run the crappola out of it yet. hahahahah.
Besides, I am still debating whether or not to install the #7 by myself or pay Stamford BH to do it. Anyone know what Stamford Bh charges to install the #7 converter?
Milos

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Milos...Stamford is a great dealer but the labor rates are $75/hr. and they are not fast workers. Accurate and good but the labor adds up. I had about $1000 in parts installled the last time I was there (Joker controls, headlamp and a tire change which I sent to them) and the bill was close to $1800...Joe

·
Registered
861 Posts
Joe, ya, Stamford are quality ppl but at 75 per hour I figure a 5 hour job probably for about 400. hmm. If so, then maybe I will do it myself. I just gotta get motivated for this job though.
Milos

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
barbarianthemadserb said:
Joe, ya, Stamford are quality ppl but at 75 per hour I figure a 5 hour job probably for about 400. hmm. If so, then maybe I will do it myself. I just gotta get motivated for this job though.
Milos
You need a #7 guy to do a nice long burnout next to you while your making a bunch of noise and no smoke. ;)

·
Registered
861 Posts
Lamonster, hahahhaahhaah, yah that would do the trick! I am getting more motivated now! hhahaha Just the thought of making noise and no smoke motivates me . hahahahahah
Milos
PS. Thanks Lamonster, that was a good nudge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts