V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my 2000 Kannon at Rhody Days in Florence Oregon this past weekend, and I was ease-dropping as people came and looked at the bike, and I heard this 5 times: "Oh yea, that's a Boss Hogg."
Not one person said 'Boss Hoss' correctly. (It says Kannon on the tank anyway)
What was the factory thinking when they named it Boss Hoss? Not the coolest name in my humble opinion (At least here on the left coast, can't speak for the deep south). Was there another inspiration for the name other than the 'Dukes of Hazzard' TV show?
Patrick

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Patrick

From what I understand it was boss hogg and then harley got their pantyhose in a knot so it was changed to boss hoss. Almost all people here say boss hogg also even though they have never seen or heard of the boss hoss.
Bill

·
Registered
838 Posts
Funny- lots of people over here say "Hoss Boss". Like the bike would have something to do with Bonanza....hehehe...

Loaf

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I've heard that same story about the conflict with Harley over the "Boss Hogg" name and I'm no lawyer, but what rights do Harley have that would preclude anyone from using that name? I know that there is a "Harley Owners Group" that uses the acronym HOG, but does that make it a trademark whereby no object for sale can use it? I guess they invented pork also!

I wonder why Harley didn't go after the Dukes of Hazard. Or for that matter, why wasn't the suit picked up by the owners of the Dukes of Hazard to get the factory to change the name. Even Donald Trump tried to trademark the saying "YOUR FIRED", as if he invented it or something. Where does it stop? :roll:

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Actually you can see the first "Boss Hog" built by Monte in the photos Loaf took at the factory on his recent trip........I believe the story about Harley is accurate and that's why they changed to Boss Hoss....

HD carries a lot of clout..that's one reason none of the Jap companies built single pin cranks to duplicate that engine sound for years....not until Harley lost the court case :lol:

Tim

·
Registered
99 Posts
I remember reading somewhere that H-D has a copyright on “Hogg”, but it only applies to motorcycles. If you Ford wanted to name a pickup truck “Hogg” it would be ok, But if Honda came out with a “Hogg” it would violate copyright laws.

I don’t know how true this is :?: BUT it was in a main line magazine and not a fly-by-night one.

Mark

·
Registered
861 Posts
It seems like I read somewhere that Harley, thru courts, actually LOST :lol: the battle at which point Boss Hoss could have easily and legally called it the Boss Hog. I don't remember the details of that though.
Milos

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
What was the factory thinking when they named it Boss Hoss? Not the coolest name in my humble opinion (At least here on the left coast, can't speak for the deep south).
Could be worst, it could be called a "Big Brute" :oops: can you imagine telling your buddies your going to go ride your Big Brute. :oops: :shock:

·
Registered
83 Posts
At least you guys are a Boss something. Like Patrick, not only do we not have a Boss Hoss, we have to explain that it is not a Boss Hog either.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts