V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm as full of wind and hot air as a bag of farts so I'll start this post off with a little story...

The night I got my first bigblock in '01, I raced a buddy of mine on his nitrous single speed ('98 model). He whipped me. I was so damn disappointed and he was telling me how bigblocks sucked and mine must have something wrong, blah blah blah. The reality was I had barely gotten into the secondaries. That Edelbrock #1911 along with the HUGE amount of throttle throw fooled me. Once I found out you had to come way up and then way around on the throttle to get the damn secondaries wide open, it was another story. Bye bye smallblock, hee hee!

Today, I can always tell when one of my Boss buddies wants to get it on. You see him almost come out of his seat and twist that right hand way up and over the throttle to get a handful. Kinda funny. The other night, I was introduced to a fix for that and now a handful of local Bosses only have to twist a smaller percentage of what the stock throw is.

Summit Boss Hoss in Marco Island is selling an aftermarket, bolt-on throttle assembly perfect for the BH. The contraption is nothing more than a larger diameter wheel inside the chrome housing. The effect is what they call 1/4 turn or 25% of the radious. Really slick. You can go from idle to WOT with that quarter turn rather than the huge travel on your stock assembly. Takes about 10 minutes to install. The only wrinkle is the cheap rubber grip that comes with it but you just peel (or cut) that one off and buy a nice custom push-on from Arlen Ness or Custom Chrome, etc.

I'm didn't hear the price or availability but anyone wanting one should call Mike or Dave at Summit Boss Hoss and check it out.

Elliot

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Damn El, you are a bad influence........... :lol:

Just ordered a set with new grips.

Thanks for the heads up.

Geez

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
We used to run this type of throttle on our Harleys in the past . Don't remember who manufactured them back then but they were called a quick throttle . I've seen these throttles still advertised in dirt bike mags. They worked great for racing but not the best for cruseing . Pretty touchy .

Jack

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jack,

I tried one Wed. night and it was dandy. Not too touchy with a few minutes adjustment. The darn travel on the factory setup is just too much. You've about got to be dbl jointed to go from 0-WOT with a simple twist.

No, I swear that dealership is not giving me a $1 kickback per unit!

Elliot

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Elliot ,
Does it have a throttle stop built into the grip . If it doesn't , With the present Boss Hoss cable connection at the carb , you could pull the cable out of the connection or break the cable if you twisted hard enough .

Jack

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jack, just called buddy Rick Vigne who put one on the other night. Said there is a stop. Also mentioned how happy he is as the carb is at WOT right at the stop and there is a total of about 25% rotation from idle to end.

Elliot

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Dam it Elliot , your getting me excited and now I want one . Could be hairy in reverse . Does this guy have a web site ?

Jack

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Thanks Elliot , I'll call Monday and order one . Not sure I want to cruise around Daytona with that quick throttle though . Will probably wait until after to install it .

Jack

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
How many times have you guys heard, "Have you ever given it FULL-THROTTLE?" It cracks me up when people actually ask me if I've ever opened it up. Of course I tell them that it gets opened up, W.*.O., MANY times on each ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This will help. Thanks Elliot.

Bill

p.s. Just don't sneeze while riding your V8 Powered Motorcycle with this throttle!

p.s.s. Another good reason to ride with the backrest in place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

p.s.s.s. "Officer, I swear, that burnout happened because some dickhead named Elliot recommended I try this new.........."

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bill,

I'm really liking that last excuse! "But occifer", hee hee. Yep, one good hiccup or one flinch as some babe flashes you her tata's and you're smokin' your tire...not that you need any excuse eh?!

As Geezer mentioned, they don't show the setup on Mike's website. I suggest just calling them and asking for Mike or Dave. That part is probably available in one of the catalogs but I don't remember the mfg. Mike's a good guy with a nice shop and I would like to see a BH dealer make a buck rather than a big catalog company if the price is close. Give him a call and tell him I said hello.

Does anyone happen to know when the track over in Deland is open? Sure would like to head up there one day or night while there. That would be a great ride and venue if anyone's interested. Will almost certainly think Tom will run the trike down the track and can guarantee Doug will run the wickedest smallblock you guys have ever seen a few runs as well as Gary's chopper with the blower.

Elliot

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jack, thanks for those links to the drags in Orlando. That track I'm familiar with but hadn't been aware of one in Deland. Had heard a few times about "drag races at the airport" but never did find anything about a track.

Apparently, there isn't one. I saw something on a website that referred to the Deland airport having drag races available all day (certain days) during Bike Week and Biketoberfest. I think they bring in a tree on one of the taxiways or runways and then have a couple of flagmen at the 1/4 mile marks. Not sure how they time it.

Sounds ok for ****s & grins but nothing serious. The track you sent the links to is a bit far to run over from Daytona especially with that murderous Orlando and I-4 traffic. Thanks and see you soon,

Elliot

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
Summit @ Daytona

Elliot,

I called Summit yesterday about a belt sprocket and they are really STRAIGHT UP!

He didn't have what I was looking for and recomended I call Roger @ Mountain. Don't get a hell of a lot better than that, when dealers share as a community!

I also asked where he was going to set up @ Daytona, and he said he already sold the Boss' they built, and wasn't sure they were going to set up. If you contact them (with your masterful influence) and find out where they are going to be, if they go, give us a note.

Kind of representative dealer that will make the Boss spread like wildfire.

Ride Safe!

HAWK88

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Jack,

The owner of Summit, a friend by the name of Mike Kelly, is a good guy. Their strategy may be different than some of the Boss dealers in that they're trying to get more into the personal customization side rather than just turning lots of individual units. Mike has put together some pretty wild motor combos and really gets into the performance aspects.

I don't know that he's using Daytona as a sales platform and probably won't have any dealership presence there. I believe he'll be dragging his nitrous bigblock there and riding with us as he's done in past years. Being in SW Florida and getting a pretty good flow of year around traffic, he really doesn't need Daytona for much more than having a good time.

If you see a real muscular dude standing next to a black bigblock with nitrous bottles and lots of goodies and a Superman looking insignia, it's Mike. If you don't see him, he's probably in the pokie as a result of some massive nitrous burnouts. We have some good stories from past Daytona trips.

Elliot

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Elliot , is anyone that has this quick throttle on their bike going to be with you in Daytona ?

Jack

1 - 20 of 47 Posts