V8 Bike Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I found this site by chance, trying to find as much info on Boss's as I could find. A little about myself..... I'm another Canuck up in the frozen north. I live about an hour east of Toronto. I currently own a 2001 custom H-D Dyna and 2002 BMW 1150GS. I've been drooling over B-Hs ever since I saw the factory rig pull into Americade years back. Barry, I met you at this year's Toronto M/C show with Rick from Mikeeee's. Rick and I are in the middle of working out a deal for a new 2003 350/385 that he has in stock. Guys, I am seriously biten by this Boss Hoss bug. I don't think I've ever wanted a ride this bad before. So am I in trouble?? Is it all worth it? I'm 38 yrs old with a mortgage, car loan, toys, and a baby on the way to boot and I'm still trying to steal, beg, and borrow to get this bike. Should I be committed or is it worth it??? I'm glad to see this forum set up for all us lunatics. I hope to be posting pics of my baby very soon.
Matt (DOC)

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Oh YEA :D It is worth it Matt! I also looked at various V8 bikes for about 3 or 4 years ... finally got my Boss last Sept :D One drawback is once you have the Boss you won't want to ride any of your other bikes :oops: (personal experience) Good luck, you'll find the bike meant for you just keep looking.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Hey V-man,
Thanks for the welcome. I rode through your home state of Maine last summer. Love it there. I took a look at your Valk.... nice ride!! Hope to be talking to you again.....Have a good one!

Matt (DOC)

·
Registered
45 Posts
"Go to Oprah" being chanted in the backround.

Hey Ed--

I don't think that my take on your situation is what you want to hear but...

If you can afford it, it is definately worth it...but you first owe your family security--a nest egg in the bank to cover unforseen emergencies, temporary unemployment and of course college for your new baby.

BTW, you will have just about as much fun and save $15k by finding an older used single-speed bike.

Jon Ukman
www.EBossHoss.com

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Go for it DOC. That is... provided your family doesn`t suffer because of it. That would only take away from your ownership experience, and cause a rift in your family because believe me.... Once bitten.. you will never let go of your new toy. That is.. unless you decide to upgrade to newer or bigger. I think Jon is right.... you will enjoy an older used bike just as much as a new one to start. You might as well consider selling your other bikes now to pay for the new one as you will probably never ride them again anyawy. I have a road king and a fatboy that are wasting away in my garage now....
My 2 cents..

·
Registered
220 Posts
Doc,

I am 38 too, and I was bitten at Daytona two years ago. I spent the whole spring and summer and part of the fall looking for a good deal on a Boss Hoss. I finally found one and it was worth the wait. Jon Ukman is right about buying an older model. I thought that I had to have a 2000 or newer two speed with reverse. I didn't even give a second glance to older clutch bikes. Then one day my 12 year old son tells me he found a 98 clutch bike on the internet for sale for 11,800 bucks. I bought it and haven't regretted it for one minute. I don't think that I would even consider selling this bike for more money in order to buy a two speed. I took my time and got lucky. Don't be in a rush. And what the other guys said about selling your other bikes ain't a bad idea either. I would sell the one that you can live without and wait for the right deal to fall into your lap. I made the classifieds page of the BHRA my home page. Then everytime I signed on the net, I got to see any new Bosses that went up for sale right away.

For my money, it was worth it. :wink:

Good Luck

Hossman

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Matt,

I'm 57, been riding for 42+ years, most everything fast with two wheels.

These things are unbelievable......I bought it as a "bar bike".....and it is the PERFECT bar bike.....awesome burnout, tons of attention (more than you want some times) but a great single or 2 up touring bike !!

Sell your Dyna & Beemer......they'll have tire rot before you ride them again :lol:

Tim

·
Registered
488 Posts
Hey Doc..."You Only Live Once....Do It!!!"......You won't be sorry,I've been riding since I was 15 years old and have probably owned 20 or More bikes and the BH is the Ultimate!!....I'll own a 2 wheeler untill I'm to old to hold it up and then get a 3-wheeler like some of the other Guys and Girls..Hee hee. :lol: ....
Just Make sure you keep your House so you can keep the BH clean and dry......and you could probably Trade off the new Baby for alot of chrome and will probably have enough cash left over for a couple House Payments...Hee..Hee...it will also give you alot more riding time!!....I traded My first born for a Boat....Sure wish they made Boss Hosses back then.....

Go for it!!

Badger ...Dave :p

·
Registered
7 Posts
I took possession of mine 10/10/03. I love it. Still go look at it and can't believe that's my ride. There is absolutely no rush that I've found with clothes on.

BTW I've got a 98 Road King for sale.

·
Premium Member
7,038 Posts
Welcome to the club here...

Don't demo a Boss Hoss if you can't afford it, because it will make your nites sleepless and your Harley a joke....or maybe demo it and you will find the means to buy a Boss ....enjoy the Harley til you can afford the Boss....

I talked to and met tons of great people at the Toronto show and Rick has sold a handful of bikes since...hope to make it to the show there next year and meet some people for the 2nd time...

Good luck with your decision...set your goals for a Boss and sooner or later you will be riding the coolest damn cruiser on the planet

·
Registered
329 Posts
Go for it if you can afford it. You will never forget the grin on your face when you take her out the first time. :lol: Unbeatable !
And sell that Harley. I sold my customized Valk when I ordered my Boss. This was very hard for me because I had put a lot of time, effort and money into that Valkyrie to customize it. Today I am happy and glad I did that. Would not even think about taking her out of the garage if I still had the choice.
Peter

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
Hi Doc

I wish they had made the Boss Hoss when I was 38 and I would have been smart enough to get one. I have spent 10's of thousands of dollars for bikes over my life time and there is no doubt that the Boss Hoss is what I wanted and needed all along.
Even after buying the Boss in 2000 I have bought 6 new bikes that just set around or I end up letting other folks ride them and wreck 'em. My vote is to get the Boss and you will never regret it.

Adrian

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hey, buy the Boss and sell the other bikes. I too had three other bikes in the house, the Boss was #4. All the others got dusty as you never want to ride anything else. Sold the others and got the wife a Boss Trike. NEVER have we had so much fun. :lol:

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Welcome

Wow! What a great welcome...even for a guy who hasn't actually even got the Boss yet. Looks like a great forum to get to know a lot of great people and learn a few things. Let me set the record straight.... I would never sacrifice the security of my family to get this toy...because after all, thats what its is. But I think that the Harley will have to go(sorry, love the Beemer too much to part with it) and use it to get the 350. I've talked to Mike and will see if I can post some pics of me and my GS last summer on my ride to Montana and then hopefully by April I can add the 350 to that collection. Thanks again for the great welcome folks and I hope to see the Canadian contingency rise in ranks over time. ?Cheers!

Matt(DOC)

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Hey Doc, I read all those replies and they are all right on the money. As Barry said, if you ride one, you've had it. Life will never be normal again. It happened to me too. So I thought about it all last summer and my old 1989 Heritage was getting long in the tooth (old) as well. Finally, in October, I ordered one. I figure you only live once and the worst thing in the world for me would be to go to my grave wishing I had done something but didn't. Don't be one of those people, but still be responsible to yourself and your family. Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
New ride

Hey Bryan,
Thanks for the advice. It's looking closer to a confirmed deal. I will be trading in my 2001 Dyna and dipping into savings to get the new 2003 350/385 but can't wait to take possession probably in April. If I read it correct.... you're the new owner of that "HEAT" bike showcased on Barry's sight???? Very cool looking paint!! I can only imagine the turmoil that you're dealing with looking outside at all the snow and waiting for that Chinook to kick in, eh?? Well, it looks like the Canadian membership may start to increase so maybe the first Canuck rally will have to be in your backyard mountains and give me an excuse to open 'er up for a ride across the prairies!!! Enjoy your ride and talk to you again!
Cheers everyone!

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Hey Doc, yes the Heat is my new bike and yes, I can't wait for spring. I envy the guys who live in the warmer climates because they can ride all year round. Come on out to Alberta whenever you like. I only live an hour from Banff and we have some amazing roads out here. The scenery is as good as it gets. They say the drought here won't break for a couple more years yet so the sun should be out when you get here. I'm doing a 1 month trip next summer: Alberta to Nova Scotia and back across the states to Sturgis, so I'll be coming through Ontario. We'll stay in touch and maybe hook up for a cold beer somewhere.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Canadian, eh!

Bryan,
Cold beer??? Sold!!! Yeah, we'll stay in touch and hopefully meet up when you're on your way across the country. Cheers and talk to you soon. I should be picking up my 385 in April. Still have to decide on paint job.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Glad you found your way here Doc. This is a new site but we have a bunch of good folks here that will tell you all about the love of their life. :) I have a bunch of bikes and could and have owned just about all that I ever wanted to and the Boss is it for me :D Ride one and you'll see what all the excitement is about. :D Take care

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Six degrees in Tennesse???? I'll settle for that on a day like today!!! Can I mount a snowplow on the front of the Boss Hoss?? :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts