V8 Bike Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked these caps up the other day from local Indian shop. They are the flush mount/pop up type. I was looking at others but these ones are excellent quality and about half the cost of the others I've seen.

I also wanted to check out/test the new picture area (thanks Lamont). BTW some really nice pictures you guys have posted so far! 8)

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LaMonsterV8 said:
So how much and where can we get them? Very nice Bro 8)

They were just under $130.00 for both! I had seen others about identical that cost about that EACH :shock:

They are manfactured by V-Twin Manufacturing (Taiwan - but what isn't) :roll: PN 38-0355

I got mine at an Indian dealer ... I know them pretty good and wanted to spend a little money in the shop to help them out :? All the dealers were left in such a bind when Indian "closed shop". If you can't get them for some strange reason I would be happy to pick a set up for anybody that wants them and send them.

I think they look 100% better then the OEM caps ... more "streamline" on the tank plus no plastic :wink: You know how I feel about plastic eh Lamont :D

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: gas caps

hossman said:
V Man

What is involved in installing those new caps. I love the looks of them.

Hossman
When I bought them I expected to unsrew the old and screw in the new. The right side did exactly that ... direct replacement. I'm not sure "why" :? but the left side was different (at least on my bike). There were two issues. (1) The threads would just start to catch and then hang up TIGHT :cry: I compared the new with the old and I noticed the new cap had more thread on the bottom - not allowing it to drop in the tank far enough. I took the new cap to the grinder :shock: and removed the lower 1 thread ... then took a file and cleaned the lower section up. (2) After removing the lower threads the cap would turn onto the gastank easily until it seated :D BUT now I was unable to push the center pop up portion down far enough to "lock" it down! :x My left side tank has a plug welded in filler neck ... it was high enough to interfere with center locking in place. I looked at the cap again and there in plenty of meat on the center section. I had two choices either try and bend the plug a tiny bit, remove the plug (did not want to do this and was afraid it may break trying to bend it too) or grind 1/16" off center portion. I took it off the center portion and ALL works well and looks good.

You have to understand though that I have terrible luck :oops: I would still expect these caps to be a DIRECT replacement for the OEM caps. The right side WAS ... my left side need slight modification :? (writing this and reading this makes it sound bad - in reality it was no biggie)

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
BADGER Dave said:
Lamont Wrote;Any pointers on changing an oil filter?

Lamont....Always make sure the "OLD" oilfilter gasket is off before putting on the new filter...Hee..hee :lol:
That's what I get for opening my BIG mouth :D Good come back Dave ;)

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BADGER Dave said:
Lamont Wrote;Any pointers on changing an oil filter?

Lamont....Always make sure the "OLD" oilfilter gasket is off before putting on the new filter...Hee..hee :lol:
Thanks for having my back Dave :D I owe you :wink: :capwin: :biker3: :biker3:

Lamont - I think your the only guy I know that has my kind of luck :roll: It always seems like the "simple" things are when I get the "oh o's" !

There have been some real technical issues arise at work :shock: that I DREADED getting into and they turned out to be the easiest to solve ... just never know.

·
Registered
220 Posts
gas caps

Sounds easy. That is cool. I think I saw similar looking caps in a catalog and they required major alteration to the tank to get them to work. I am just looking for an easy job.

Thanks,

I may get back to you on getting a set of these sometime this winter.

Hoss

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
Here is a picture of a great cap I got from Tim's Boss Hoss. I saw them at the rally and had to have a set. They have a simple key and is easy to install.

Adrian

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: gas caps

hossman said:
Sounds easy. That is cool. I think I saw similar looking caps in a catalog and they required major alteration to the tank to get them to work. I am just looking for an easy job.

Thanks,

I may get back to you on getting a set of these sometime this winter.

Hoss
You got it Hoss! Just let me know. :D It really was no big deal to fit them. I really do believe they should be a "simple screw in replacement" for most. I think the body guy/painter that did my bike created the biggest problem ... threads on left side were caked in primer/paint causing it to be slightly "narrower" not allowing the new cap to drop in far enough ... The right side has NO PAINT on threads and I had no problems.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Adrian said:
Here is a picture of a great cap I got from Tim's Boss Hoss. I saw them at the rally and had to have a set. They have a simple key and is easy to install.

Adrian
I like those too Adrian! You said they have a key? Glad I didn't see your first ... then I would have needed to make a decision! :D

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: Gas caps

zenbiker said:
V-Man
Can't find those neat gas caps on the V- twin site. How do I get them?
Please e-mail me : [email protected].
Joe
Joe

You got mail :) Just let me know, I'd be happy to send a set down to you.

Don

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
oil filter change

Laugh at me if you want to but I once did the dirty deed by leaving the old oil filter gasket on. After about 50 miles almost went down while taking off from a stoplight with a couple of quarts of oil under my rear tire and all over the bike. Just lucky I didn't sieze up the motor.
Stupid is as stupid does.
Joe

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Re: oil filter change

zenbiker said:
Laugh at me if you want to but I once did the dirty deed by leaving the old oil filter gasket on. After about 50 miles almost went down while taking off from a stoplight with a couple of quarts of oil under my rear tire and all over the bike. Just lucky I didn't sieze up the motor.
Stupid is as stupid does.
Joe
I got that beat Bro. I rode to Daytona and I only had about 100 miles on the bike and we left East Tn when it was 36 degrees and raining. We drove like that for 5 hours. We hooked up with some other Valk riders and ran the rest of the way down to Daytona at speeds of 95 to 115 mph. We pretty much held it at 105 mph most of the way. Got to Daytona and I noticed there was oil all over my bike but I knew my tranny was leaking so that's what I figured it was. Then we went to Highlanders and I was having a little fun with my remote starter and all of the sudden I had a big crowd around the bike. I just figured they were getting a kick out of the bike starting by itself. Nope, they were looking at the BIG puddle of oil under my bike when the gasket finally let loose. :( Yep drove all the way to Daytona in the rain at 100 mph+ and made it with two gaskets on my oil filter. I have the best bad luck. ;)

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
New Gas caps

Did it show any less oil pressure on the way down ?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts