V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found this message area and signed up. I got a phenomenal used Boss from a guy in Tennessee with only 4,600 miles on it and it is immaculate. Me and another Boss Rider just did my first road trip last week and what a great ride. It rained liked a moving waterfall the first day, but it was worth it anyway.

Now I need to tap in to some of the lessons learned from all you veteran Boss owners. What is the best wash soap to get the ground in road grime off without damaging the paint? What do you use to polish the bike? Finally, I think I blew a fuse on the way back because my turn signals and horn went out. I hear there is a grease I can dip my fuses in before I put them in the bike that keeps them dry. Anyone know the name?

Any help will do.

Thanks,

Bigdaddy

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Hey. right on bud. I'm new here too. Welcome. I don't think I'm good advice on paint as I blew a bit off my fairing the other day with a pressure washer.

As an electrician, I do not advocate grease on electrical stuff at all. It will just collect dirt and promote problems rather than prevent them. In my years of experience at open pit mines I discovered that you cannot keep moisture out of stuff. Better to let it get wet and then be able to drain out and dry, depending what it is. There is a conductive paste that we used to use on diodes to promote contact but I would not use it on a fuse block.
What I would do if you are worried is pull the fuses every now and then to reestablish a good contact surface.

stu

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Bigdaddy....use dielectric grease on the fuse prongs. Stu refers to grease but this is a silicone based conductive compound that will make you connections secure and basically waterproof. I've used it for years with excellent results.
In terms of polish, etc. each of us has his own favorite but I find Eagle One to be the best all around for paint and Blue Magic Liquid Metal and Chrome polish to be the best on chrome...Joe

·
Registered
750 Posts
Welcome, you are definately among friends!!! :D

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Zen,
The dielectric is ok because of the non-conductive properties. As time goes by however, it can get contaminated and can start to leak. However, at 12 volts, probably anything you might use will be usefull for a long time because the potential is low.

So, I will agree with you on the dielectric for moisture.

This application is nowhere near as harsh as a mining environment as far as dust goes. I must keep reminding myself of that.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Welcome

Glad to see you ain't scared of a little bit of rain. Welcome.

I wash mine with spay and wash from the local honda shop, works great.

PS: Don't ride like this. :lol:

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Crazymf...I toasted my first fuse box on the Boss because of poor fuse to receptacle contact. So much so that the plastic actually melted because of the heat produced by poor contact and the receptacles and fuse prongs were actually blackened.
Adrian West turned me on to the dielectric grease and have never had a problem with the fuse box setup since in over 18,000 miles using a stock replacement unit...Joe

·
Registered
624 Posts
Bigdaddy,
Welcome and congrats on your new ride. Dielectric grease for the electrical and Simple Green to wash off grime and oil etc. Do not use on hot engine and make sure you wash off thoroughly with pressure from a regular hose. If you leave it on it can pit alu.
Glenn

1 - 13 of 13 Posts