V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I should re-post this under another subject.
Just got the Summer issue of Boss Hoss Country Magazine. They talk about the new Alternator belt setup. Looks like a larger crank pulley to go along with the new alternator pulley and belt. Wonder if the larger crank pulley and alt pulley wil fit older (say 2002) bikes. :)

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Don...I wondered about this also. Since we can no longer speak to the factory directly, Im going to have Debbie or Bruce ask if the new belts can be retrofiitted...Joe
PS. Don....Consider the Sanderson headers. These totally change the looks, sound and performance.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Joe,
Believe me, I'm considering! I would like to be able to run "muffled" if I want, so I have to see if I can get a collector made to accomplish that.
How about sending me some pics of your setup, with some close-ups of where the header ends and the "exhaust tip" begins. That way I could show a local exhaust maker and see if he could do something for me. :D :D

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
Boss Man said:
Joe,
Believe me, I'm considering! I would like to be able to run "muffled" if I want, so I have to see if I can get a collector made to accomplish that.
How about sending me some pics of your setup, with some close-ups of where the header ends and the "exhaust tip" begins. That way I could show a local exhaust maker and see if he could do something for me. :D :D
There is a small cone that will do just that and cuts the noise down a bunch. You pull the turn out off, put the cone in and zoooom your on your way.

Adrian

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Adrian,
Is the cone from Sanderson? Is there a picture around anywhere that I can see to get an idea of what you're talking about???

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Don...I swear they aren't much louder than stock if at all. The sound is just deeper and a different tone. The idle with my cam is just a joy to hear. Cruising on the highway I can't tell any difference in the noise level and is very comfortable even with a half helmet. Anyone who's heard me start the bike remarks that they expected it to be much louder but not so. Even my wife who is always asking me to move the bike out of the garage before starting (whole house shakes...hehehe) was pleasantly surprised. The noise issue was a big concern of mine becaue I do live in a neighborhood but there is no problem at all. I know nothing about the "cones" to which Adrian is referring and have no idea how they would affect the performance. If they reduce it than $1700 will be spent for only a partial bonus.
As I said in previous posts, this is really a significant performance upgrade without an obnoxiously loud motor....Joe

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Adrian,
Let me see if I have this right. The turnout is removed, and the "cone" (which is a silencer insert??) is inserted in the pipe and then the turnout is put back on giving you a somewhat muffled sound? Then, if you want, you can remove the "cone" for an un-muffled exhaust? Do you have to attach the cone insert to the pipe in some way? Thanks a bunch for the info!! :D

Joe,
I like to be able to cut down the noise if the Mrs. wants to go for a ride.
Hey...............ya gotta make some concessions sometimes! ( "Don't go so fast" "Take it easy will ya! ") Those fingers digging into my ribs starts to hurt after a while. Ha Ha!
Much better to have a smiling passenger
than one that can't wait to get off! Little things ya learn after 34 years. :wink:

·
Registered
526 Posts
zenbiker said:
Don...I swear they aren't much louder than stock if at all. The sound is just deeper and a different tone. The idle with my cam is just a joy to hear. Cruising on the highway I can't tell any difference in the noise level and is very comfortable even with a half helmet. Anyone who's heard me start the bike remarks that they expected it to be much louder but not so. Even my wife who is always asking me to move the bike out of the garage before starting (whole house shakes...hehehe) was pleasantly surprised. The noise issue was a big concern of mine becaue I do live in a neighborhood but there is no problem at all. I know nothing about the "cones" to which Adrian is referring and have no idea how they would affect the performance. If they reduce it than $1700 will be spent for only a partial bonus.
As I said in previous posts, this is really a significant performance upgrade without an obnoxiously loud motor....Joe

The "Cones" will reduce the HP and TQ but it will still look cool if that is your objective. Mine are louder but I never ran them on the factory motor so a comparative cannot be performed. When sitting next to a stock 502 the difference between my motor and the 502 is like the stock 350 vs. the stock 502.
:D :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"Busa Dave" Wrote
The "Cones" will reduce the HP and TQ but it will still look cool if that is your objective.
Dave,
Horsepower and Torque don't come into play with the Mrs. aboard. That's why I'm hoping the inserts are easily inserted and removed. Horsepower and Torque definitely DO come into play when I'm alone!! Ha Ha! :wink:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts