V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike is a 2004 with 4500 miles. The belt used to run right in the middle but like eveyone else's it seems to run on the left side now. Yesterday as I checked the tension, it was at 500 lbs. I wanted to loosen to around 450 lbs. and try to get belt back in the middle. As I loosened the slider blocks (after loosening the top two bolts that hold the each slider block of course), it didn't seem to move. I loosened them quite a bit and rode for about 5 or so minutes and my little finger gauge still showed 500#. No matter how much I loosened the adjusters, it never loosened the belt according to my gauge. What am I doing or not doing?

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Not sure how relevent this is to your situation but here goes anyway ...

When I have pulled my wheel for new rubber just "loosening" the the top four (two on each side) bolts and backing the rear adjuster bolts out the wheel will not move. I back the adjuster bolts almost out and use a rubber mallet to hit the ends of the bolts ... this pushes the wheel forward to get the belt off and wheel out from under the fender. Last time I had the rear wheel off I pulled the slider blocks, cleaned the inside of the swingarm were they ride and the blocks really good. When I put it all back together I used lots of anti sieze. Now when I adjust the belt (have been trying to get more centered so it's been done a few times recently) tightening or loosening the adjuster bolts on the end the wheel MOVES forward or backward like it should. Maybe you need to clean your blocks and use some anti sieze on them ... no reason the wheel should not be moving for you :roll:

PS

If you pull the slider blocks out be sure you put them in right side up. The blocks are threaded one way ...

Also the little "finger guage" will give you different readings (certainly within 25 - 50 #) at least mine will even with exact same placement of guage along belt.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Might be your axle nut is binding on the swing arm too. Try loosening it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Be sure to also loosen the rear brake torque rod if it has one. My 2000 does but not sure if the 04 has the same style....
George

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
There's no way you should have to loosen the axle since it rides in the sliders. As suggested, anti-sieze the sliders and tap the adjuster bolts with a soft mallet or a piece of wood and hammer. Has to move!....Joe

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
On my bike the axle nut does bind on the swing arm. I have to loosen it.

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
Axel

Joe;

Mine too, and the sliders have been out and cleaned, inner surfaces cleaned, and liberally "anti-seized". It's like something isn't square.

I loosen the Axel nut a lot, "encourage" the assembly forward, torque the Axel, then adjust the belt tension as I align.

It would be sweeter if it worked correctly, but I'm used to it now.

Enjoy your vacation ride! Anxious for photo's of your Sanderson install.

Ride Safe!
HAWK88
Jack Phillips

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got the belt to loosen last night. The axle nut was definately binding on the swing arm. Was able to get it to move by loosening the axle nut and turning out the adjusters and then tapping them with a rubber mallet. I cleaned the exposed areas of the sliders best I could and then shot some "panther piss" into the holes and along the sides of the sliders. Moved back and forth after that.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
hozztil said:
Got the belt to loosen last night. The axle nut was definately binding on the swing arm. Was able to get it to move by loosening the axle nut and turning out the adjusters and then tapping them with a rubber mallet. I cleaned the exposed areas of the sliders best I could and then shot some "panther piss" into the holes and along the sides of the sliders. Moved back and forth after that.
Glad you got it moving now ... My question would be why is the axle nut binding on some of the swingarms :roll: The entire axle assemby should be free to move with loosening the top slider bolts and loosening/tightening the adjuster bolt(s). What is your axle torqued at, possibly too tight :?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
V-Man wrote
Glad you got it moving now ... My question would be why is the axle nut binding on some of the swingarms The entire axle assemby should be free to move with loosening the top slider bolts and loosening/tightening the adjuster bolt(s). What is your axle torqued at, possibly too tight
I didn't have the right socket (looks like 1 and three eighths) plus my torque wrench's lowest setting is 25 ft. lbs. so I used a big crescent to loosen. I marked the side of the hex nut that the cotter pin went through and tightened back to that. My "feel" meter on a fairly long handled crescent sure felt like a lot more than the recommended 15 ft. lbs. (I haven't touched it since I got it from the factory) When I completely loosened the axle nut, the sliders would move back and forth. When tightened a little (not back to original torque) it would not loosen, but would slide when tightening. V-Man, I think it is what you said earlier about cleaning and re-slicking the slider blocks. I backed off the nut 1/6 of a turn to the next slot for now and will clean and lube when I replace my rear tire.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
I'm thinking that 15 lb torque is pretty critical over the long haul because it is the bearing preload if you have tapered bearings. It even says in my manual to have that torqued before adjusting the belt.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts