V8 Bike Riders Forums banner

Mooneyes side draft manifolf with side draft webbers and cam

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Glenn B 
#1 ·
Okay guys, here is my question. I want more power and don't want to go to the 502 or nitrous. I am thinking of a Competition cam (1500-5500 rpm) and the manifold/carb setup that "Mooneyes" has. THeir manifold is for the side draft webbers ( 4 webbers are used). I know i will have to raise the gas tank a little to get those side draft carbs underneath. What do yah think? Will it give me 75 hp or more?
Milos 8)

#4 ·
Milos

You will not only need to raise your tank you will need to do some serious frame modification to get those side drafts in there. Get a 383 short block or go the Nitrous. With the nitrous you don't run all the HP all the time so you can still get fair gas mileage and is much easier on the pocket book. 100 HP shot of Nitrous will give you a kick in the rump like you won't believe.

Adrian

#5 ·
Hmm, seems like nitrous is the way to go eh. Thanks for the inputs guys. I did not realize that I would have to do frame work to get those side draft carbs in. A stroker, though ideal, is too mucho work for me. I don't have the ambition to do it. So I think I will settle for nitrous that I did not originally want to do. 100hp shot sounds pretty good to moi and that way I can have a "normal" motor for regular cruising. ha.
Milos

#6 ·
Milos,

Another beauty of nitrous, typically the kits are rated for around 200 - 250 horsepower maximum, but YOU determine the shot by the jetting. So you initially jet it for 100hp, if your nads grow after a few of those, simply jet up to 125, 150 or whatever the size your nads will stand :lol:

A Boss gets a lots of oohs & ahhs, but hang a couple of nos bottles from it and people know right off that you are someone who has crossed the line of sanity and shouldn't be invited to their garden party :roll: :p

Or be like Adrian and hide it, then just blow them away with spinning the tire at 50 or so......

Tim

#8 ·
Milos,

I got mine from Chopper City, but I think you can go to any speed shop and buy the standard NOS systems......maybe Dave (Badger) can tell ya for sure. Tom Breedlove on here also sells another brand, and he has the kits setup fpr the Boss I think.

Pretty easy installation with the exception of a small frame mod to clear the linkage after you put the fogger plate on. I don't use throttle linkage micro switch so it is a really simole install.

Tim

#9 ·
Milos,

I got mine from Chopper City, but I think you can go to any speed shop and buy the standard NOS systems......maybe Dave (Badger) can tell ya for sure. Tom Breedlove on here also sells another brand, and he has the kits setup fpr the Boss I think.

Pretty easy installation with the exception of a small frame mod to clear the linkage after you put the fogger plate on. I don't use throttle linkage micro switch so it is a really simole install.

My friends don't even try to figure me out anymore.....only Wag & my new bride have a clue that I am actually fairly normal.......well, in a twisted kinda way :lol:

Tim

#11 ·
Would someone be kind enough to educate the ignorant? I know the basics of NOS, NOS+Gasoline=Horsepower. As I understand it, and please correct me if I'm wrong, once you "push the button" you can't roll out of the throttle without toasting the motor, unless you use the microswitch to shut off the NOS & fuel, or let go of the button. My question is what happens when you "push the button", besides the obvious smoke and noise. Are you guys running an ignition RPM limiter to keep the valves from poking holes in the oil pan? How do you control beast when the tach needle heads north and turns into a blur?
Regards,
Kurt

#14 ·
Milos,
The NOS is rather easy to install. You can get the kit from any local speed shop. Because you are getting a kit for a car motor it most likely come with the 10 lb bottle and you will have to buy the 2 1/2 lb bottles and brackets seperately. The easiest way is to go with a pro-shot system and than try the different jet sizes. The directions are cleare in the appropriate jet combinations for different HP. That will be plenty close enough for what you are looking for. You can put a progressive controller and adjust the start & final HP and the "ramp time". The Microswitch on the side of the Carb is for setting it so the NOS only works with WOT as a little "safty" feature.
Have fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.